John Deere 4010 LPG exhaust manifold leak

Ranger518

Hi I have a 196? John Deere 4010 LPG tractor that runs great but has a exhaust mainfold leak and I was wondering if this is bad and does it haft to be fixed or should I just let it leak. If I haft to fix it all the bolts are rusted in and I think they would break off if I tried to take them out but if I haft to I guess I could drill and tap or drill and heilcoil and put a new mainfold gasket and bolts.

urednecku

First of all, I am not a mechanic. I would think it would depend on where & how big the leak is. I understand the exhaust valves depend on the exhaust manifold to pull the heat away, keeping them from burning out.

Ranger518

First of all, I am not a mechanic. I would think it would depend on where & how big the leak is. I understand the exhaust valves depend on the exhaust manifold to pull the heat away, keeping them from burning out.

yea that is what i was wondering i have heard on trucks it will burn valves. It is not really bad but there are a few spots that it is leaking i can fell it with my hand. The tractor already has some blow by not really bad but it there. It really only has exhaust smoke a little when first start or rev it up nothing bad. tractor hour meater quit working at 3999 so who knows how many houres are on it has been used verry little in the past 20 years so i would think it does not have much more than that on it. just wondering if i should worry about it and fix it or wait and fix it when the motor needs rebuilt if if ever needs to be rebuilt it runs super strong now Dang LP motors seam to run foreverr

Last edited: