help name that dog

Erik

male aussie.
not sure Lucky will be appropriate as part of his job will be to run the 2 year old malabrute ragged so the gray muzzle husky mix can catch up on his sleep...

ghautz

Great breed for a pet! Mine is a Queensland heeler/ Aussie shepherd mix. His name is Auzzie. He would be willing to share the name if you like it.

Attachments

• Auzzie.jpg
    Auzzie.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 180

joe lasky

I'm surprised another member here hasn't chimed in, I know he's help me name at least two dogs that have come through our home:D

not sure Lucky will be appropriate as part of his job will be to run the 2 year old malabrute ragged so the gray muzzle husky mix can catch up on his sleep...

That's actually a good plan Erik.

Just remember, a puppy needs a lot of care. I'd suggest you crate train it if the thought hasn't crossed your mind.

Since the dog is a puppy, I'll suggest that you don't give the dog a name yet. When the puppy gets to your home, I'm certain it will show traits that you will notice, that will lend to the dogs name you'd like to give it for the rest of its life.

One of our three dogs which we "own" (from numerous dogs who have been through our home) is named Shadow. She has this name because when she first come into our home, she was so insecure that for the first six months in our care, she would never leave your side in fear of being left alone. She was litterally your "Shadow", thus her name (which was pretty easy to come up with after two weeks).

Spend time with the puppy and I'm certain you'll come up with the appropriate name:D

Since we moved to a more rural area some years ago, our Aussie "mix" has come into her own as the first pic shows.

The second pic was taken five years ago (how time flies) when we lived in a development, and the yellow lab was the dog who got the break when Shadow came into our home to "play" with Ella (beagle mix). The plan actually worked pretty good:D

Attachments

• Shadow cows.JPG
    Shadow cows.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Three Dogs2.jpg
    Three Dogs2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 189

Erik

That's actually a good plan Erik.

Just remember, a puppy needs a lot of care. I'd suggest you crate train it if the thought hasn't crossed your mind.

Since the dog is a puppy, I'll suggest that you don't give the dog a name yet. When the puppy gets to your home, I'm certain it will show traits that you will notice, that will lend to the dogs name you'd like to give it for the rest of its life.

One of our three dogs which we "own" (from numerous dogs who have been through our home) is named Shadow. She has this name because when she first come into our home, she was so insecure that for the first six months in our care, she would never leave your side in fear of being left alone. She was litterally your "Shadow", thus her name (which was pretty easy to come up with after two weeks).

Spend time with the puppy and I'm certain you'll come up with the appropriate name:D

Since we moved to a more rural area some years ago, our Aussie "mix" has come into her own as the first pic shows.

The second pic was taken five years ago (how time flies) when we lived in a development, and the yellow lab was the dog who got the break when Shadow came into our home to "play" with Ella (beagle mix). The plan actually worked pretty good:D

:) No worries on knowing puppies take time - both the husky mix (Charlie) and the malabrute (Denali) were puppies when we got them, although they were about 5 months not 2 when we got them.
Crate training is the only way to go if the pup is going to spend any time in the house as far as we're concerned, as is the "terrible snip" as soon as they descend.
We definitely learned a lesson with Denali - named him after a mountain and sure enough he grew into the name!

On the flip side, no matter what the official name is, it'll end up with more than one unofficial one. (charlie is often chucklehead)

it's all good. :tiphat:

olcowhand

I don't know why, but soon as I saw the pup's pic..."Skippy" came to mind. That was before I read "Sloopy" in the replies too. Seems whatever you decide, it needs to start with S & end with Y.:wink:

joe lasky

We definitely learned a lesson with Denali - named him after a mountain and sure enough he grew into the name!

Funny Erik, I had you wrong. I figured you be one of those guys who would keep calling the mountain after a former president who had never set foot there:yankchain:

urednecku

The wife & kids named our present dog "Miracle". They found her on the hi-way, had just been hit by a vehicle & was trying to crawl outta the road. They took her to the vet with 2 broken legs ( both on same side), broken jaw, and some cracked ribs. It was a MIRACLE she lived, much less found a good home.

joe lasky

The wife & kids named our present dog "Miracle". They found her on the hi-way, had just been hit by a vehicle & was trying to crawl outta the road. They took her to the vet with 2 broken legs ( both on same side), broken jaw, and some cracked ribs. It was a MIRACLE she lived, much less found a good home.

Small world to some extent.

The dog on the left came into our home two months ago, and my vet named her "Mira", short for miraculous.

Long story short, driving home, saw the dog at an intersection on a rural road. Another couple was pulled over off the side of the road trying to coax her to come to them, and I pulled over to help. A car doing about 45mph, without even as much as hitting it's breaks, broadsided her right between the cars headlights. Big "thump", and next thing I know the dog is laying on the side of the road in the fetal position. I was suprised there wasn't a "mess", but I went up to the dog to make sure it was dead. To my surprise, the dog was only going into shock. After feeling for a broken spine or bones (I thought for sure I was going to have to bleed her out to put her out of her misery), the only thing I could figure was internal bleeding. Called my vet and she met me at her office. Dog didn't have a broken bone in it's body, and the only thing I could figure is that she was small enough that when the car hit her broadside, she fell over immediately and passed under the car.

Three days later, the dog was up and running and acting like nothing had ever happened.

Attachments

• Mira and Lexi on the hammock.JPG
    Mira and Lexi on the hammock.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 171

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

That's the best way, the pup gets to help pick his name after he is home. We've had a couple who seemed to like being called Puppy. :yum:

You mentioned his estimated birthday. We've always used the adoption date as the birthday since that day is a new beginning.

Erik

Still no luck on naming him, but he's a quick study - twice this morning he's run to the front door and pretty much as soon as I let him out he's gone and done his business. We're hoping this is a good sign, since he got petted and praised for these actions as opposed to yesterday's living room puddle that resulted in loud unhappy noises and being carried outside by the scruff of his neck.

And there's no fear to this boy - our dogs are a source of curiosity (and he tried to herd them) and the giant GSD up the road came to visit and he went right up to talk to that one, too.

Attachments

• tn_100_1596.jpg
    tn_100_1596.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 172
  • tn_100_1597.jpg
    tn_100_1597.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 174
  • tn_100_1604.jpg
    tn_100_1604.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 165
  • tn_100_1603.jpg
    tn_100_1603.jpg