New England Snow (have ya had enough)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In other posts Dougster in particular has said he wants snow. These past couple of weekend my national weather has shown lots of snow up the new england way. So, I was wondering if it's time to say enough or if you still want more?

irwin

Hi Doc, not much snow still on the ground here in (very) southern New England.
To answer your question...I have no financial interest in snow, in fact the only interest the cold white stuff has in my piece of heaven is from my two horses, seems they love to play in it, not me though. Bad back, bad knees and years of bad habits makes moving the stuff more work than my threshhold for pain allows. :sad:

I'm not selfish though, if it must snow, I hope someone's having fun with it, or (like Doug) making money from it.:mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
In other posts Dougster in particular has said he wants snow. These past couple of weekend my national weather has shown lots of snow up the new england way. So, I was wondering if it's time to say enough or if you still want more?
The amazing fact is that despite local weather forecasts as high as 6 to 10 inches of snow overnight where I live... I woke up early to find a mere 1 inch or less on the ground here in SE MA. It rained here all night... so no billable, plowable snow for me today. :( On the other hand, folks are saying I've got another shot at plowable snow tomorrow night. So much for breaking Boston's longstanding December snowfall record. I don't believe it was broken... although I've not heard official word on that yet.

I PM'd our resident weatherman (Jay) this morning, but I think he must have been headed out to work. I'll be interested in his post-storm assessment and prediction for tomorrow night.

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
...Bad back, bad knees and years of bad habits makes moving the stuff more work than my threshhold for pain allows.
Good Lord Tim!!! You sound like you're in worse physical shape than me! :eek:

I didn't think that was possible! :D

Dougster

DAP

The amazing fact is that despite local weather forecasts as high as 6 to 10 inches of snow overnight where I live... I woke up early to find a mere 1 inch or less on the ground here in SE MA. It rained here all night... so no billable, plowable snow for me today. :( On the other hand, folks are saying I've got another shot at plowable snow tomorrow night. So much for breaking Boston's longstanding December snowfall record. I don't believe it was broken... although I've not heard official word on that yet.

I PM'd our resident weatherman (Jay) this morning, but I think he must have been headed out to work. I'll be interested in his post-storm assessment and prediction for tomorrow night.

Dougster

Mid Coastal Maine reporting in: had 18 inches last week, a foot yesterday, and a foot tommorrow is coming.

I have a raised seam metal roof on my historic cape ... this means it sheds snow easily ... I have 4 foot drifts from the roof on the south side of my cape. Snow Snow Snow ... spent 1.5 on the meter of the B7800 doing a 60 foot driveway ...

Yeee haaaaaa

jbrumberg

As a unrepentant weather geek I will continue to put my weather opinions out there :soapbox: . I "blew" my last prediction contained in the pine grossbeak thread and/or what I shared with Dougster through PM's:hide2: . I really thought that the Dougster would get some plowable snow with the last system:oops: (He needs some Starbucks coffee.). I got the timing and basic storm track right, but everything else wrong :eek: . In my defense most of the various weather services' system models got it wrong for the Dougster area as well. I got 8" of heavy snow with this last event in my area, and got some good seat time on my tractor :thumb: :mrgreen: after work today. So far this fall/winter I have had 35.5" of snow. I am uncertain if there will be a plowable event for the Dougster Tuesday into Wednesday morning. At this point it looks like a mix of rain/sleet/snow slop for Dougster, while the predictions vary widely for my area (up to 1'). It will get colder until the weekend and warm up for the weekend. There are blocking highs on the west coast that may slow weather systems down. I will be looking at the weather data and get back on air, for better or worse :bangin: . :letitsnow: Jay

I guess I have to go out and do the special snow dance again tonight :moon3: . ;)

Last edited:

irwin

Good Lord Tim!!! You sound like you're in worse physical shape than me! :eek:

I didn't think that was possible! :D

Dougster

Now, now, Dougster... lots of folks have it worse than us.:bash: We're smart enough to take it easy, and smart enough to buy the tools to make the jobs doable by us old cripples..:whistle:
Ha, ha just kidding :poke: I'm not smart enough to take it easy, are you?:moon3:

As a unrepentant weather geek I will continue to put my weather opinions out there :soapbox: . I "blew" my last prediction contained in the pine grossbeak thread and/or what I shared with Dougster through PM's:hide2: . I really thought that the Dougster would get some plowable snow with the last system:oops: (He needs some Starbucks coffee.). I got the timing and basic storm track right, but everything else wrong :eek: . In my defense most of the various weather services' system models got it wrong for the Dougster area as well. I got 8" of heavy snow with this last event in my area, and got some good seat time on my tractor :thumb: :mrgreen: after work today. So far this fall/winter I have had 35.5" of snow. I am uncertain if there will be a plowable event for the Dougster Tuesday into Wednesday morning. At this point it looks like a mix of rain/sleet/snow slop for Dougster, while the predictions vary widely for my area (up to 1'). It will get colder until the weekend and warm up for the weekend. There are blocking highs on the west coast that may slow weather systems down. I will be looking at the weather data and get back on air, for better or worse :bangin: . :letitsnow: Jay

I guess I have to go out and do the special snow dance again tonight :moon3: . ;)

New England and Vermont in particular have ended more weatherman's careers because of bad calls...In our area...it is RAIN that gets them in trouble...because everyone is looking for the three-four day windows to do haying in...Boy have the MISSED a couple of those BIG TIME...5 acres of mulch one time, because we had two almose back to back torrential rain storms when it was supposed to be clear...:umbrella:

Snow is of so-so importance up here...FIRE/EMS likes to have an idea, so we staff up for BAD WEATHER, the plow jockies are all sitting at STARBUCKS waiting for the flakes to fall...:D

jbrumberg

I get some really good weather input from my local farmer neighbors:respect:. They and I actually look out our windows, watch cloud patterns, barometers, and wind direction to make our predictions rather than rely on Dopplar radar (aching body parts helps). They think I am crazy (for a lot of reasons:soapbox:) by my weather geekness and looking at all those models. This next system is moving in quicker and blowing out faster than previously predicted. It is also tracking farther north, but there is some confusion around actual storm track. I believe this system will drop around 6" max in NE (west and north) with the higher elevations getting an extra "kick". Dougster will be lucky if hits his trigger point :sad:. This system will blow out of NE by midnight tonight.:letitsnow: Jay

Last edited:

GreenMtns

I get some really good weather input from my local farmer neighbors:respect:. They and I actually look out our windows, watch cloud patterns, barometers, and wind direction to make our predictions rather than rely on Dopplar radar (aching body parts helps). They think I am crazy (for a lot of reasons:soapbox:) by my weather geekness and looking at all those models. This next system is moving in quicker and blowing out faster than previously predicted. It is also tracking farther north, but there is some confusion around actual storm track. I believe this system will drop around 6" max in NE (west and north) with the higher elevations getting an extra "kick". Dougster will be lucky if hits his trigger point :sad:. This system will blow out of NE by midnight tonight.:letitsnow: Jay

Hi Jay :wave:

I have to admit that I watch dopplar radar. Here it called for the start of the storm at 9:00. It is now 9:17 and it just started to snow. This forecast is calling for 3" around the Dougster's area but most of the snow will be along the Canadian border with that area getting up to 10" before it ends around noon on the 2nd.

I am routing for your forecast. I like it much better.
But for poor ol Duogster's sake I hope mine is right. The poor guy still has paint on his plow blade. :mrgreen: He is not making any $$$$$.
:pat:

Dougster

Old Member
As a unrepentant weather geek I will continue to put my weather opinions out there :soapbox: . I "blew" my last prediction contained in the pine grossbeak thread and/or what I shared with Dougster through PM's:hide2: . I really thought that the Dougster would get some plowable snow with the last system:oops: (He needs some Starbucks coffee.). I got the timing and basic storm track right, but everything else wrong :eek: . In my defense most of the various weather services' system models got it wrong for the Dougster area as well. I got 8" of heavy snow with this last event in my area, and got some good seat time on my tractor :thumb: after work today. So far this fall/winter I have had 35.5" of snow. I am uncertain if there will be a plowable event for the Dougster Tuesday into Wednesday morning. At this point it looks like a mix of rain/sleet/snow slop for Dougster, while the predictions vary widely for my area (up to 1'). It will get colder until the weekend and warm up for the weekend. There are blocking highs on the west coast that may slow weather systems down. I will be looking at the weather data and get back on air, for better or worse :bangin: . :letitsnow: Jay

I could almost TASTE that Starbucks coffee Jay... :wave: ... and then there was nothing. :(

The good news is that I made it to the GF's private charity event last evening with no problem at all... and yes, I am still alive this morning as a result. ;)

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Now, now, Dougster... lots of folks have it worse than us.:bash: We're smart enough to take it easy, and smart enough to buy the tools to make the jobs doable by us old cripples..:whistle:
Ha, ha just kidding :poke: I'm not smart enough to take it easy, are you?:moon3:
I should have spent my earlier years outdoors doing heavy-duty physical labor and my later years sitting behind a desk & computer in a warm office about the size of a Taxachusetts jail cell. Stupid me... I did it (and am still doing it) all backwards. :bash: :rolleyes:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster will be lucky if hits his trigger point :sad:. This system will blow out of NE by midnight tonight.:letitsnow: Jay
I am routing for your forecast. I like it much better. But for poor ol Dougster's sake I hope mine is right. The poor guy still has paint on his plow blade. :mrgreen: He is not making any $$$$$.
The poor old Dougster has pretty much given up on billable, plowable snow this week. And yes... there is not only plenty of paint still left on the plow blade... there is still 94% coverage on the cutting edge as well!!! :pat:

Dougster

larryRB

snowing at my house however, the hartford radar show it turning over to sleet and freezing rain very quickly, I've seen so much rain in the last month this ought to turn into a full fledged jungle complete with palm trees,, I'm going to have to move somewhere where there is very little rain fall. just too, too much rain and no snow,

The reason that doesn't work well in VT...is because we deal with three major weather flows....

1. The Major Eastward Pattern
2. The Canadian component
3. The Atlantic Coast component

The Eastward pattern have flows from the west break in various routes over the NY mountains...then to make matters worse we have the cells that run up the coast and either stall the pattens from the west, pull weather patterns southerly or push the northerly into the St. Lawrence valley...the ones that stall then either come over us or go north...

For example this current weather pattern was supposed to drop 4 to 6 inches today....2 to 4 inches tonight...and then taper off tomorrow...

Now they say 2-3 today...2-3 tonight and now 4-6 tomorrow...:mrgreen:

Tonight they'll change it again...:mrgreen:

jbrumberg

Paul:

You sound like a weather geek too :respect: :thumb:! My area got 4.5" of light fluffy stuff today. It looks like another ~1" is on the way tonight. My area may get what I call upper air turbulence/uplifting snow showers tomorrow. I agree about the 3 main weather components for your area as well as for the Berkshires and Hilltowns in western MA. So far this season I have had 40" of snow, most of it fell since mid-December. I do not see a lot of snow for the near term- really cold Wednesday through Friday with a January thaw (40's) in the weekend. In a way I am glad as I can do some snow shoeing/tracking this weekend and my driveway is starting to get a little narrow with snow piles around 7' high. I would be curious about your actual final snowfall with this system. Jay :letitsnow:

J

JDFANATIC

No matter how you slice it, nor how you disguise it (cabs etc) winter sux! :sad: Can we at least have a post predicting how many days until spring! :thumb:

Dougster

Old Member
Paul:

You sound like a weather geek too :respect: :thumb:! My area got 4.5" of light fluffy stuff today. It looks like another ~1" is on the way tonight. My area may get what I call upper air turbulence/uplifting snow showers tomorrow. I agree about the 3 main weather components for your area as well as for the Berkshires and Hilltowns in western MA. So far this season I have had 40" of snow, most of it fell since mid-December. I do not see a lot of snow for the near term- really cold Wednesday through Friday with a January thaw (40's) in the weekend. In a way I am glad as I can do some snow shoeing/tracking this weekend and my driveway is starting to get a little narrow with snow piles around 7' high. I would be curious about your actual final snowfall with this system. Jay :letitsnow:
Only an inch down here on Rte 495 South Jay. As usual (it seems)... not enough to bill for... but enough that I had to go out and give a free courtesy plow to my steep driveway clients before it all freezes. :rolleyes:

Dougster

jbrumberg

Dougster:

I can relate. If I was (still) in private therapy practice I would (still) be the poorest, but most sought after therapist because I would still give my best effort and never charge for my services :badidea: (You do not have to ask me why I know this :ohmy: .) I could not even handle a sliding fee scale :pat: . You are too nice, but I still believe that you are investing in your client base which will hopefully pay off when you finally get a plowable event.

The weather gods :moon3: are taxing me and teasing/costing you (and many others for that matter).

I respect the January "thaw" effect. During this coming warm period I will have to go out to do the "Full Monty" snow dance :shock: so as to not freeze any body parts nor alarm anyone in the near vicinity. Hang in there and look out :eek:. Jay :letitsnow: