Humor

xPosTech

Hey Greg I think we might need a humor or jokes forum. Or at least a thread or two that Doug can call home and drink his Starbucks and chuckle. A place we'll know we'll feel better after visiting.

Everyone here has a great sense of humor and sharp wit. I keep my bandaids in the little "corral" in the stand of my flat screen. When I'm putting one on a freshly busted knuckle I usually try to find something to put a grin on my face instead of a scowl.

I'll even start it off.

How to keep a turkey in suspense.

Ted

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's BAAAAADDDDDDD Ted. But I do agree we oculd use a humor / joke spot. If i make it you guys have to get more than 10 threads in it over the next few days. I hate empty forums.
Do others agree we need a humor forum? Will you help fill it up if I create it?

Dougster

Old Member
Hey Greg I think we might need a humor or jokes forum. Or at least a thread or two that Doug can call home and drink his Starbucks and chuckle. A place we'll know we'll feel better after visiting.

Everyone here has a great sense of humor and sharp wit. I keep my bandaids in the little "corral" in the stand of my flat screen. When I'm putting one on a freshly busted knuckle I usually try to find something to put a grin on my face instead of a scowl.

I'll even start it off.

How to keep a turkey in suspense.

Ted
That's BAAAAADDDDDDD Ted. But I do agree we oculd use a humor / joke spot. If i make it you guys have to get more than 10 threads in it over the next few days. I hate empty forums.
Do others agree we need a humor forum? Will you help fill it up if I create it?
I'm not so sure about this. I think you need to distinguish between a little light everyday humor and outright "ha ha" jokes (e.g., "A rabbi, a priest and a lawyer walk into a Kubota dealership, and the priest says to the rabbi...")

Personally, I am not a big "ha-ha" joke guy (no comments on this, please!)... so if there is a widespread feeling here that jokes would add to this website, there probably should be a place for them so that they don't start popping up in places where they don't belong.

On the other hand, I would hate to see general, everyday humorous conversation and ribbings limited to just one location. Humor (and light conversation in general) should happen where it happens naturally or this is going to become one very serious, boring and dour website very fast. I like that this is the friendly tractor forum and I'd hate to see it become nothing but super-serious (and often confrontational) techno-babble and new owner complaints like seems to be happening over on another such tractor forum I don't frequent anymore.

Still, such everyday humor and ribbings can quickly get out of hand and sometimes in places where it doesn't really belong. I believe we politely term that effect as "thread drift"... and I appreciate the fact that not everyone here is amused by such drift. It is a tough balancing act at times between being polite and responsive to the posts of others and staying reasonably on topic.

Dougster

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very good points Dougster. I am not suggesting changing anything, other than adding a humor forum (to call it joke seems limiting). Funny stuff that has nothing to do with tractors. I am keeping this site PG-13 for advertising purposes so that would have to be kept in mind.
I have a joke section on ForumsForums but I understand some prefer to keep a presence on one forum or the other, not both. If that is the case and you all want a humor forum, I'll set it up if you promise to populate it.

I like the light hearted interaction format we are in now. It's a more friendly forum because of that. And I plan to keep it that way. :thumb:

It is a tough balancing act at times between being polite and responsive to the posts of others and staying reasonably on topic.

Dougster

So true Dougster. Tough but right now I do believe we have a very good & friendly mix. I like it that way. :thumb:

Mith

I know you don't like sub-forums Doc, but this might be a good use of one, adding a humour section onto this off-topic forum. This seems to have worked well on a couple of other forums I can think of.

jbrumberg

I do not know if we need a joke forum and/or a sub-forum. Anywhere the old Dougster goes the humor seems to follow :mrgreen: . Jay

xPosTech

I'm not so sure about this. I think you need to distinguish between a little light everyday humor and outright "ha ha" jokes (e.g., "A rabbi, a priest and a lawyer walk into a Kubota dealership, and the priest says to the rabbi...")

Personally, I am not a big "ha-ha" joke guy (no comments on this, please!)... so if there is a widespread feeling here that jokes would add to this website, there probably should be a place for them so that they don't start popping up in places where they don't belong.

On the other hand, I would hate to see general, everyday humorous conversation and ribbings limited to just one location. Humor (and light conversation in general) should happen where it happens naturally or this is going to become one very serious, boring and dour website very fast. I like that this is the friendly tractor forum and I'd hate to see it become nothing but super-serious (and often confrontational) techno-babble and new owner complaints like seems to be happening over on another such tractor forum I don't frequent anymore.

Still, such everyday humor and ribbings can quickly get out of hand and sometimes in places where it doesn't really belong. I believe we politely term that effect as "thread drift"... and I appreciate the fact that not everyone here is amused by such drift. It is a tough balancing act at times between being polite and responsive to the posts of others and staying reasonably on topic.

Dougster

I agree wholeheartedly Doug.

I don't want to offend anyone. If I have offended you or anyone else please let me know. All you'll get is an :oops: I'm :sorry: . Here's a smilie if you want it,
starbucks.gif
and then I'll drop the Starbucks ribbing.:respect: Restraint is not one of my better qualities (if I have any at all). Sometimes my attempts at humor are perceived as sarcasm.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I do think we need a place for a little canned humor. Every now and then I come across a joke or funny story I would like to share and don't want to put it where it doesn't belong. Most jokes I find leave me a bit disappointed but sometimes one will beg to be shared with the wonderful folks here.

Ted:hide2:

Dougster

Old Member
I agree wholeheartedly Doug. I don't want to offend anyone. If I have offended you or anyone else please let me know. All you'll get is an :oops: I'm :sorry: . Here's a smilie if you want it,
starbucks.gif
and then I'll drop the Starbucks ribbing.:respect: Restraint is not one of my better qualities (if I have any at all). Sometimes my attempts at humor are perceived as sarcasm. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Dear God Tedster... :eek: ...where and how could you have possibly offended me??? :confused: I am at a complete loss to figure that one out! :confused: Your posts have been some of the freshest and most creative to come out lately. :thumb: Offend the old Dougster??? Please! :rolleyes: You'll have to get way back in line (behind the old Edster and that kid Jeremy) and try a lot harder if you are looking for that to happen!!! :yum:

Apology definitely NOT accepted!!! :thumb: :wave:

Dougster

jbrumberg

Dougster:

What scares me is that for many reasons I believe that we are both on the same twig of the evolutionary shrub. ;) I will add that most great individuals were/are mocked during their lifetimes. :yum: Jay :mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster: What scares me is that for many reasons I believe that we are both on the same twig of the evolutionary shrub. ;) I will add that most great individuals were/are mocked during their lifetimes. :yum: Jay :mrgreen:
Well, where did you grow up Jay? You know I grew up in Springfield and went to college right up near you. Could we be related??? :D

Dougster

xPosTech

Dear God Tedster... :eek: ...where and how could you have possibly offended me??? :confused: I am at a complete loss to figure that one out! :confused: Your posts have been some of the freshest and most creative to come out lately. :thumb: Offend the old Dougster??? Please! :rolleyes: You'll have to get way back in line (behind the old Edster and that kid Jeremy) and try a lot harder if you are looking for that to happen!!! :yum:

Apology definitely NOT accepted!!! :thumb: :wave:

Dougster

So that means you didn't want that smilie?

You mean I'll have to find someone with thinner skin to give it to? Won't accept my apology, won't accept my smilie gift (
starbucks.gif
) ...ahhh...You have a thing against accepting stolen property! I shoulda known it.

Ted

PS: That's a genuine Starbucks cup, by the way. High quality bone china. (Leaded crystal)

Last edited:

jbrumberg

Dougster:

I was born and raised in Williamsport, PA, somehow managed to graduate HS and PSU if I remember correctly. Did some serious partying and flight time on the astral plane and lived in the PA boonies for awhile and got kicked out of PA (careerwise) for honest statements expressed during a TV and radio interview :shitHitsFan: :badidea: . Moved to western MA in 1977 and have stayed in hiding there ever since :hide: . As to biological lineage- it is uncertain as I am really an adopted bastard :oops: , stupid at times, but not a "cheap" one ;) . So we could be related :mrgreen: . Jay:letitsnow:

Dougster

Old Member
So that means you didn't want that smilie?

You mean I'll have to find someone with thinner skin to give it to? Won't accept my apology, won't accept my smilie gift (
starbucks.gif
) ...ahhh...You have a thing against accepting stolen property! I shoulda known it.

Ted

PS: That's a genuine Starbucks cup, by the way. High quality bone china. (Leaded crystal)
Now how did you do that Ted??? :confused: Obviously you are smarter than *moi* to make that happen. :thumb:

And unless we get more plowable snow this winter, that may be as close as I get to a cup of Starbucks coffee for a long, long time to come. :eek:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster:

I was born and raised in Williamsport, PA, somehow managed to graduate HS and PSU if I remember correctly. Did some serious partying and flight time on the astral plane and lived in the PA boonies for awhile and got kicked out of PA (careerwise) for honest statements expressed during a TV and radio interview :shitHitsFan: :badidea: . Moved to western MA in 1977 and have stayed in hiding there ever since :hide: . As to biological lineage- it is uncertain as I am really an adopted bastard :oops: , stupid at times, but not a "cheap" one ;) . So we could be related :mrgreen: . Jay:letitsnow:
I certainly hope your "official" resume' reads better than this one!!! :mrgreen: And, okay... so maybe we are only related by the state in which we both happen to live. :eek: I can't imagine anyone willingly moving to Taxachusetts (I certainly wouldn't be here if I wasn't born here) but maybe Western MA is somewhat more tolerable than Eastern MA. In fact, I'm sure it is provided you stay far away from the cities.

But where does the meteorological training come in? That couldn't have been your major in college... or could it??? :confused:

Dougster

irwin

The problem with jokes would be when noone thinks your very funny.

Of course this is a true story here.:whistle:

A police officer pulls over a speeding car. The officer says, ' I
clocked you at 80 miles per hour, sir.'
The driver says, 'Gee,
officer I had it on cruise control at 60, perhaps your radar gun needs
calibrating.'
Not looking up from her knitting the wife says: 'Now don't be silly
dear, you know that this car doesn't have cruise control.'
As the officer writes out the ticket, the driver looks over at his wife
and growls, 'Can't you please keep your mouth shut for once?'
The wife smiles demurely and says, 'You should be thankful your radar
detector went off when it did.'
As the officer makes out the second ticket for the illegal radar
detector unit, the man glowers at his wife and says through
clenched teeth, 'Damit, woman, can't you keep your mouth shut?'
The officer frowns and says, 'And I notice that you're not wearing your
seat belt, sir. That's an automatic $75 fine.'

The driver says, 'Yeah, well, you see officer, I had it on, but took
it off when you pulled me over so that I could get my license out of my
back
pocket.'
The wife says, 'Now, dear, you know very well that you didn't have your
seat belt on. You never wear your seat belt when you're driving.'
And as the police officer is writing out the third ticket the driver
turns to his wife and barks, 'WHY DON'T YOU PLEASE SHUT UP??'
The officer looks over at the woman and asks, 'Does your husband always
talk to you this way, Ma'am?'

'Only when he's been drinking.'
________

jbrumberg

Dougster:

Actually I take great pride in how I got run out of PA:thumb:. If I had to do it over again, I would have done the dirty deed even better :moon3: . I came to MA in 1977 because that was where a lot of the Federal monies were going for the deinstitutionalization of state run psychiatric facilities. Even though I am not a corporate "Poster Boy" I have done "ok"; it does help having a "Sugar Momma" A.K.A. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" which means I am :hangingclothes: , but I still get my "toys" after sufficient whining, grovelling, and kowtowing. I am still a loose cannon at work occassionally which is why my superiors will never let me go anywhere on business matters. I think my supervisors pop anxiolytic medications before any time I address the school at large events, but I am honest and will take my lumps accordingly. I majored in psychology after a brief period as a physics/mathematics/astronomy major, but I think I had enough meteorology credits to have qualified for a meteorology minor, but I was probably too high at the time to do anything about it. I knew many of the individuals who created AccuWeather. And YES I do stay away from any populated areas anywhere for my own personal protection. :mrgreen: Jay