RTV 1100 Hard Starting

dtreid

Machine is a rtv 1100 with 3000hrs.
New fuel filter, fuel lift pump. Glow plugs tested and working fine.

Machine is hard starting the first start of the day. Cranks for 8 or 10sec first after it sits over night. Subsequent starts for the rest of the day are fine.

Thinking if may be fuel draining back out of the injection pump. Changed the line from the fuel filter to the lift pump and from the lift pump to the injection pump. No apparent leaks from the return lines.

Any suggestions?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a similar issue on a boat gas engine. Once started for the day all was good. Sitting overnight would be hard to impossible to start without priming. Took six months to figure it out but ended up being the fuel pump.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my old 1100 an 07 model was kinda acting like this until i rebuilt the starter solenoid contacts. could also be a small small air leak into the system or a weak dirty check valve in the primary fuel pump. aaaaannd have you by chance started on a different fuel supply? did the problem occur after the fuel filter change or before???

could just be a fuel cetane issue???

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I had the same problems with 2 pieces of diesel equipment years ago. It turned out to be the fuel lines/clamps . The recommended change on the rubber lines is something like 2 years ? or so ? . If it were me, before I spent more money, I'd replace all fuel lines and use new clamps. When this happened to me, I didn't have leaks neither but the there was just enough air entering the line to let the fuel drain down into the tank again overnight. I used to have good hearing and I could actually hear the air sucking down if there was perfect quietness around. It sounded like a distant mosquito buzzing. So that is what lead me to diagnose it as bad lines/clamps . I posted about it on here many years ago. bordercollie.

edit from 3/16/ 2009 http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12223&highlight=fuel+lines

11/17/14 http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16085&highlight=fuel+line+clamps

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i forgot to mention. check the vent in the fuel cap. if it is restricted then the slight vacuum will pull the fuel overnight.

dtreid

Changed all of the rubber lines from the filter to engine/return lines. Still cranks for probably 10sec after sitting overnight. I'm stumped.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You are using the glow-plug warmer setting on ignition before starting, right? If so, for how long and what's the temperature where you are?

dtreid

Machine is in a heated shop. Even if glowed for 10sec it still cranks quite awhile.

Last edited: