bear came to visit

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i didn't know they could keep up with a dog i knew they was fast.. go down there and eradicate his butt.</p>

Onfoot

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your beagle and your wife's favourite cat! As the thread makes clear, we feel for you. I would not normally think that a bear would get a dog (or vice versa) unless the dog was protecting its owner. But 17 is old for a poor old beagle, so who knows what might have happened. But very, very sad no matter what.</p>

doggman

I don't know if you have coyotes where you live but they're really hard on pooches, too. Most of the pet dogs that get lost around our neck of the woods are lost to coyotes. They're nasty if they're in a pack. The stock dogs and the larger running dogs seem to know how to handle them. </p>

Right now, in southern Missouri there's a cat that's killing dogs. The Conservation Dept. verified it was a cat but they can't tell if it's a big bobcat or something larger. Bobcats are usually shy, like bears, so it's probably an escaped exotic. </p>

I'm glad your jack got home. They're tough little guys and they'd probablydrive abear crazy with their persistence. </p>

I lost my last sheltie last summer to sudden onset kidney failure.There's a good chance it was from dog treats tainted with melamine. She was a great dog who loved riding in the RTV more than me ( all my shelties have loved to ride) . Nothing made her happier than seeing livestock and wildlife while we were riding. I miss her everyday. </p>

(I'm looking for an older sheltie to adopt or rescue, if anybody hears about one.) </p>

</p>

muleman2

Yes we have too many coyotes! the state protects them during mating and birthing season. They are always in season in my hollow! had 2 cross the road right near the bottom of my power line tuesday evening. The locals hunt them with hounds all winter long.</p>

</p>

Muleman2,</p>

Have you heard of the Coyote hunt here in Karthaus that is put on by the sportsman club every January????? Big money for a small entry fee.</p>

Rusty Anvil,</p>

muleman2

Sure have! That was back in the old days when I lived in york county and still drank. My cousin and I and a few others would get together load up the chains for all 4 whells on my old 85 suburban and go up to the camp in centre county. 6 miles back in the strip mines running through snow as deep as the hood at times! Those were some wild times. We usually killed a lot more beers than coyotes. I am too old and wore out for that now. Bill</p>

Bill,</p>

You can still go to camp and not drink but just enjoy the sound of the deep woods and stillness of the air. I still havea hunting camp in the mountains of Pennsylvania. Just sit by the wood stove for the heat and coal oil lamps for light and a trip outside to relieve the pressures of life. No phone, no TV, no neighbors, just man and nature. Walk down to the spring and get a drink of water as it bubbles out of the ground. Native brooke trout splashing in the water. I think I will take a trip to the hunting camp this morning. Anyone want to go along? We might be able to get a shotat a coyote. </p>

Rusty Anvil,,,</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
man rusty i got relaxed just ready how you descride that place. you shure you ain't a writer??</p>

</p>

Tommy & Onfoot,</p>

My camp is at the bottom of a deep valley. That is why the water bubbles out of the ground. I am at the headwaters of a local stream that feeds water to the local municipality. I live 6 miles from camp and can ride the RTV up to the front door. This is a real hunting camp that has been standing for 63 years. No electricity, no running water, no lights. It has a pourch to relax on and bunkbeds, coal stove, woodstove, fireplace, sink, with a bucket of spring water for washing and water boiling on stove for dishes. Pine knots in the warming oven for the smell and also to start the fire when you arrive.</p>

I wonder if Bczoom, Two guns, Bordercollie andKieferwant to join us on our outing?????????????</p>

Rusty Anvil,,</p>

Onfoot

Rusty, you have an idyllic setting for your camp! And so close to your home. I can imagine that it is a perfect place to retreat to when things get uptight.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
that water bubbling out the ground ?? there ain't a house at the top of the hill huh? might be a guy up there with a plunger on his toilet and you don't there on the other end of his septic line think you got a bubbly stream. that ain't pieces of drift wood comin down stream no!!</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Rusty Anvil:</p>

You keep throwing out those invitations to the camp and a bunch of usjust might take you up on it. Maybe put together a real expedition complete with sleeping bags, food and adult beverages for a weekend of story telling and other made-up adventures.You might even get some work out of us if need be. Of course we need to planit beforethe hornets and yellow jacketsoccupy your cabinand the timber rattlers and copperheads are still asleep. </p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Rusty Anvil, That sounds like a wonderful place . You deserve it. Enjoy eating the fish out of that stream nearby too ! You will have all of us up there. Oh, Take along some allergy meds in case you do have a bee attack.They can actually kill you if you get stung a lot and swell up.. the rtv won't outrun mad yellow jackets .I know this from personal experience (5x stung in one encounter) Bordercollie</p>

</p>

Onfoot,</p>

I like the woods and camping, especially the meals......During hunting season there was a coffee pot brewing all the time for any hunter to stop by and get warm...</p>

Tommy,</p>

No one lives close to the camp but we can let you be the water taster.........LOL....</p>

</p>

Keifer,</p>

If you don't have a RTV before the camping expedition, you can ride in the lead RTV and look for BIG BLACKTIMBER RATTLERS. We will take them to camp and have Tommy and Two Guns cook us up some Rattleburgers.......Two Guns can bring his pig cooker. Bordercollie can bring the sauce...........</p>

Bordercollie,</p>

I never ran across any ground yellow Jackets up on he mountain, Just Timber rattlesnakes. If Bczoom doesn't want to go along on the first trip we can all dig a bomb shelter in the side of the mountain so he will feel more at home............</p>

Muleman2,</p>

You can cook the Bear stew and Onfoot can bring some Moose Steaks. This is starting to sound like a fun outing. I wonder who can bring the Elk steaks....Maybe Bill and I can sneak down to the Quehannah wild reserve and lure an Elk across the river........</p>

</p>

I hope I didn't miss anyone...........Tommy, bring some gator burgers.......</p>

</p>

Rusty Anvil,,</p>

muleman2

You can't pop an elk quietly! And they are heavy suckers to cut up and drag. You get him across the river and I will help load him in the rtv.</p>

Mind if I come along as long as I bring the beer??? What will it be, MOLSON or Labatt??? Sorry no Buds or Coors....Why lube up with 5w20 when you can put 20w50 in the crankcase?? Sorry, no Cerveza either...that come from across the other border..Maybe a little Maple Syrup for the pancakes............</p>

Onfoot

You need to try Yukon Gold or Arctic Red from the Yukon Brewery--"Beer worth Freezin' For"! And I can bring some moose steaks or caribou or bison steaks... Sounds like it will be one fantastic bbq!</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Don't leave out my famous but simple squirrel stew.. Cooked of coarse in an old cast iron pot. served with southern turnip greens cooked the old way, baked sweet potatoes and cornbread for sopping up all the gravy. Bordercollie<br _moz_editor_bogus_node="TRUE" /></p>