Kubota RTV gets a snow blade

Got my snow blade for the RTV. built by BLIZZARD. Good unit with self contained electric hydraulic for left / right and up down. Very sturdy with power hitch feature...just drive up to unit, hook up the connector, and then flick a switch and it just sucks itself into the installed mount and you slide in 2 pins. Its still only April so we got 3" of heavy wet snow to try it out. Works fantastic but the operator needs some training</p>

And here's the other one I forgot to post. Dumb "pooter's" fault, not mine..BTW..How do you post multiple images to a message [quote user="Kubota Kanook"]</p>

oops! Forgot the Picture</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Onfoot

Quite the entourage you got there, Kubota Kanuck! Looks like a skookum plow. I haven't yet used my Curtis plow, as the snowblower has been more than adequate. But I figure next winter I will use the plow until the road is well frozen and the snow banks have been more or less defined. After that, it will be the blower all the way.</p>

Looks like you are spoiled for choices when it comes to moving snow!</p>

Hmmm. Guess I should add a few 'eh's, eh?</p>

</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Looks like ya'll push snow around just for fun .....</p>

The only timewe see snow is whenwe look at pictures that is posted !!!!</p>

Nice lookin' machines .....</p>

</p>

>>>>>>>>> two guns ....</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice toys, err, tools. Do I recall correctly you push snow commercially?</p>

[quote user="Kubota Kanook"]BTW..How do you post multiple images to a message[/quote]</p>

As far as I can tell, if you're uploading the picture right to the site, it's one image per post.</p>

If you're linking to a picture that's on another site, you can just use the "Insert Image" tool (the picture of the tree) from the toolbar directly above the text entry box and insert several.</p>

</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Kannok:</p>

One can never have enough....... toys, errrr. tools. Ehh.</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

Only a true NORTH snow shoeing, snowman making, snow pushing Canuck would say .....Fortunately it has been snowing for the last 2 days here, giving me plenty of oppurtunity to exercise my new toy er tool. yup I have several driveway cleaning customers. next year i'm anticipating expanding the customer base, so it should see plenty of action..</p>

Onfoot

But you can still only drive one at a time, eh? By the way, what is the going rate in ON for clearing driveways? Am wondering if I might be able to make my RTV900 pay for itself next winter...</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Onfoot"]By the way, what is the going rate in ON for clearing driveways? Am wondering if I might be able to make my RTV900 pay for itself next winter...[/quote]</p>

I'm pretty sure there's no way you would be able to pay for your RTV clearing driveways in Ontario... Driving there and back for each snowfall would eat all your profits. :)</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Onfoot

Would be an interesting trip, though! And, in all seriousness, I am wondering if I might contract next winter to keep some driveways clear. But the travel is the issue, living as I am a good 10 kms. from the nearest driveway...</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's simple enough. Buy a 2nd RTV and keep it in town. Make the first person a deal that you'll do their driveway for free if you can park the RTV in their garage (for the season). Use that RTV for a few years (until it's paid off) then maybe bring it home and keep a blade on it for those days that don't dictate the use of the blower. Maybe you can find a driver in town to do the driving. Cut him a similar deal then all you have to do is collect the $$$.</p>

OnFoot...we're talking driveways here, not Yukon laneways... The driveways i'm clearing are in a subdivision consisting of approx 60-70 2.5 to 5 acres lots. the typical driveway is about 200 ft double car wide. I average 3 driveways per hour including travel. I 'm currently cheaper than the pick-up truck guys and do a much better cleaning than they can because of the limitations a 4x4 with a plow (manuverability,obstacles etc). There is also the issue of where to put the snow that they encounter. As you already know, there is a limit to how much snow you can push before you run out of place to put it. Locally, there is also the issue where you can't push the snow down the drive way and out accross the street to the opposite side. It's a by-lay to prevent the snow being piled accross from your driveway only to be pushed into the driveway of the next door neighbour when the plow goes by. The snow blowers solve this by blowing the snow onto the property but the pushers have to plow it down the driveway and then push it to the side on the same side as it came from.</p>

For these circumstances my rate is 350/yr or 35per visit. I actually prefer the yearly deal as you get the cash up front and is predictable. The pay per visit get done after the yearly clients are done 1st. </p>

My rates are low but i'm trying to build a clientele based on value and superior service.....KINDA LIKE THE BRAND OF EQUIPMENT I USE...</p>

did someone say KUBOTA???????????</p>

Onfoot

Thanks, Kanook! Very helpful and much appreciated. If I trailered the RTV900 to a subdivision in town, it might be possible to build a client base around a central point. Hmmm. Something to while the summer hours away thinking about...</p>

[quote user="Onfoot"]Something to while the summer hours away thinking about...[/quote]</p>

</p>

</p>

OnFoot...........</p>

You'll have to think fast..Summer up there lasts from what???? July 1 to Mid August.</p>

Forgot to mention. I stopped by the KU dealer today to pick up some bits and pieces that got left out when I picked up the blade last week. Looks like I'll be getting a hard cab with heater for the RTV. He's got a used unit that has a good cab on it but the mechanicals are shot and won't be worth fixing.</p>

I found operating the controller pad for the blade to be next to impossible with gloves nevermind mitts on. Besides I like to be warm and toasty when I'm out playing er working in the snow.</p>

Onfoot

Having a cab is fine if all you don't need to worry about getting in and out in below -30F (or C!) weather. But I find I am always needing to get out for one reason or another when I am on the machine and working. And it is safer to have the full winter gear if you get stuck or something breaks and you find yourself walking home in weather that is cold enough to result in extremities freezing and breaking off... If I was in suburbia I would probably opt for the cab, too. But not in the bush. Mind you, it sounds like you found a sweet deal and those are hard to resist, eh? (Gotta keep throwing in the eh's!)</p>