GRADER BLADE

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I guess we didn't know how lucky we were. Some of those days were tough but that's why we are who we are today. I remember smelling the sweet smell of gardenia bushes outside our open windows at night. ...Slapping at those mosquitoes that got in thru the holes in the window screens. What about mosquitoes, frogs and locusts "hollering across a purple hull pea field while picking peas under the hot summer sun.... Then going home ,shelling the peas and drinking huge glasses of sweet tea and grabbing a whole tomato with a shaker of salt and eating it as the juices ran down your arm and dripped off your elbow as Mama put the peas on for supper. And how many of us remember seeing the "heat monkeys" dance in the summer heat. ...Real cork lined caps on cold drinks out of a sliding top cooler with an opener on the side in the old mom and pop country store ? and...those special days when you could get one of 'em .Wow, were those cold !! Also, ya'll remember how great those fish frys were back then. I could go on and on. These are the good old days as I remember the better part of my youth. Bordercollie . </p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I guess we didn't know how lucky we were. Some of those days were tough but that's why we are who we are today. I remember smelling the sweet smell of gardenia bushes outside our open windows at night. ...Slapping at those mosquitoes that got in thru the holes in the window screens. What about mosquitoes, frogs and locusts "hollering across a purple hull pea field while picking peas under the hot summer sun.... Then going home ,shelling the peas and drinking huge glasses of sweet tea and grabbing a whole tomato with a shaker of salt and eating it as the juices ran down your arm and dripped off your elbow as Mama put the peas on for supper. And how many of us remember seeing the "heat monkeys" dance in the summer heat. ...Real cork lined caps on cold drinks out of a sliding top cooler with an opener on the side in the old mom and pop country store ? and...those special days when you could get one of 'em .Wow, were those cold !! Also, ya'll remember how great those fish frys were back then. I could go on and on. These are the good old days as I remember the better part of my youth. Bordercollie . </p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I tried to pass on good experiences like that to my boys. They are in their early 30's now but I hope they have some good memories. Life for kids today is too hurried and they have too many video games and the like to distract them. I remember when we first got electric and phone back in the late 50's. Got to stay up till 8 or 9 at night to watch wagon train. Man I am getting old!!</p>

</p>

What about Tru-aide grape and Tru-aide orange,,,,,,,the drink with no carbonation..</p>

That was a treat to get when your father could afford to buy it for your brother and you.......</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,,,,,</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
</p>

bordercollie, </p>

You've got chills running down threw me !!!! Yes, I remember the " heat monkeys ". That's when everybody worked hard. It would be hard for the younger ones to believe the ways things were. Yes, they were the wonderful days, hard, but great !!! Back then, we would keepour guns and hunting stuff in our trucks.Gunsstayed in the trucks while we were in school. Hunted before and after school. That was when you always heard, " Yes Ma'am, No Sir, Thank You, all the time. Never worried about anybody taken your guns while you were in class. Didn't even know if there was a rule that one couldn't keep a hunting gun in the truck, it was never discussed then . Heck most of us didn't have a truck that the door would even lock. Trucks were held together with bailing wire. They was not fancy show trucks, they were work trucks used on the farms. Back of the trucks were full of tools, tractor parts, buckets >>>>We stuck together. Rules of engagement around my home was as long as the grades were keep up, you could hunt all you wanted. Back then, if we done wrong, our butts would get fired up, and not by just your parents, by everyones elses and when you got home and they found out, another on was a coming .Somebody all the time was a cookin !!!!The only " loud " music that was heard was that of somebodys muffler got drugg off coming out of a field. It wasn't always bad news that folks heard. There was always good news spreading around. Coke was a soft drink, not some sort of drug.If you were old enough to drink a beer, you limited yourself, for you had to go to work the next morning ...</p>

Our clothes fit. They were not dragging with our butts showing. They might not be the designer jeans, or the two hundred dollar shoes and shirts. Yes, I have worn " hand me downs " , But we were decent !!!! We didn't use vulgar language ....., we went to church. </p>

That was when everybody HELPED everybody. Someones tractor broke down, everybody fixed it while the others where in the fields not letting his farm get behind. Harvest time, everybody pitched in the help get the crop in . Yes, we played with baby turtles, frogs, lizards. We never caught any type of disease. If we didn't have enough money to buy two, we split it >>> never got germs !!!! </p>

I could go on and on about the great days. But the main part of this is , </p>

WE BELIEVED IN GOD, WE HAD RESPECT, AND WE WERE PROUD !!!! </p>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jamie ( two guns )</p>

</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Yes that is the same bear. I need to go get some more ear corn for the turkeys so he will be back around as soon as I fill the feeder.</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
respect was taught with a switch or grandpa's old harness strap. It hurt at the time but we became better adults because of it. This is turning into an oldies thread, but it sure brings back memories. I was just remembering yesterday how we used to spend memorial day watching the veterans parade through town and then everyone went to the park for a huge picnic. The vets got served up a super good meal and the local bands played in the bandshell (Remember bandshells). Everyone had a good time and got along. We held a family reunion that was so large we used to meet at the state park to have enough room for everyone. Mom and dad were both from families with 13 kids. Today families just seem to drift apart. Sad to see.</p>