Mahindra Roxor

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Considering the low speed and that it can't be licensed I'd pickup a used Jeep for $15-20K and have the best of all worlds.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just bought a Honda Pioneer 1000 last Dec. Love it. But ...if I were still in the market I'd be taking a close look at this one.
My Honda is not street legal but I can do the mods to make it legal. But for the most part where I live we have all kinds of ATV's and UTV's on the road, no license needed (unless you meet a lawman in a bad mood).

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I LIKE IT. i have been driving a land rover series for aprox 35 years. this would be a nice addition.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It seems to be the same Jeep that Mahindra (India) builds for the home market for applications like these.

(My photos 2004).

1) Bus service to go down a rural 'road' (footpath) from where it leaves the the highway.

2) Urban taxi.

I wonder if aftermarket American Jeep stuff will bolt right on? Probably.

34883d1110603709-comparison-old-ih-tractors-current-602986-ruraljeeps291img_1159-jpg

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting.
One can't tell from the pics in the link but I assumed it was a good bit smaller than the conventional US Jeep. And smaller than the ones pictured above in India. Not sure though.

A huge advantage that the Honda Pioneer and all other UTV's have is smaller size than a conventional jeep. The majority of trails I have riden could not be driven in a conventional US Jeep. It would be to big. If the Mahindra offering is full size that will limit it for the UTV market. With the smaller diesel and low speed I'm assuming it has to be the same general size of the Honda Pioneer 1000, Polaris General and most other UTV offerings of today.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Apparently mahindra has been licensed to build Willy’s since 1947, however I think I would have stylized differently. But all in all pretty cool, I like all the new side by side stuff!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Woooo !!! I like it ... Would need an easy transmission ( no clutch) to chase cows with though. Tried that years ago with a standard truck and the cows just laughed and laughed because by the time I clutched, shifted they would be going behind me. and literally kicking up their heels -and winding their tails- true ! I love my RTV for the reason that I can catch them. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I found these measurements for it. 148" long-bumper to bumper, 62" wide, and 75" high. also the wheelbase is 96" between wheels . collie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I found these measurements for it. 148" long-bumper to bumper, 62" wide, and 75" high. also the wheelbase is 96" between wheels . collie
The Mahindra 'Thar' I linked is all identical except 2.5 inches wider. The rubber fender extensions on the Thar are likely that 2.5 inches.

So this new Roxor / Thar isn't much different from buying a used American jeep from the Willys or AMC era and putting the same money into it. The American jeep would be street-legal.

They will probably sell a bunch of them, new is preferable to rebuilt for a lot of folks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thx CA. Interesting. It's bigger than I guessed. And they say it's as wide as a cj-7. I believe my CJ-7 was 6' or 75" wide. My Honda Pioneer is 61" wide. RTV is about 61" wide I think.
Plus the Mahindra is 148" long. That's over 2 feet longer than my Honda and RTV900. It's even longer than my RTV 1140 which comes in at 138" long. Looking forward to seeing one but it seems to big for my liking.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter

my land rover 77.5 H x 142 L x 66 W wheelbase 88 inches non synchro transmission and 2.25 litre petrol engine. i think this Mahindra would be great with a turbo diesel

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a tad long but 62 wide is much better than my guess of 72 to 75" wide (as wide as a CJ-7). 62" is right in line with other UTV's on the market today.

ovrszd

Keep in mind the 62" width quoted is tread width. Center of tire to center of tire.

So as already mentioned, might as well buy a Jeep. 15K will buy a very, very nice used Jeep.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Keep in mind the 62" width quoted is tread width. Center of tire to center of tire.

So as already mentioned, might as well buy a Jeep. 15K will buy a very, very nice used Jeep.

i agree just need to look both have advantages. i like the no emissions turbo diesel and compact spartan Mahindra. i like the jeep for on road faster airconditioning many many aftermarket and on and on. just a choice we didn't use to have .:17875:

ovrszd

i agree just need to look both have advantages. i like the no emissions turbo diesel and compact spartan Mahindra. i like the jeep for on road faster airconditioning many many aftermarket and on and on. just a choice we didn't use to have .:17875:

Yep. I suspect Mahindra has an underlying motive. I don't see a big enough market for this particular machine. But it would be a decent base to start from.