Grass For Clearing

BoneheadNW

I am going back on 24 hour shifts starting tomorrow which means that I will have more time to doing projects here at my hacienda. One project that I am really looking forward to starting is the selective clearing of approx an acre (selective means to leave the "substantial trees" and clear out the underbrush) and planting grass amongst the remaining trees. I am looking for the best type of grass to satisfy the following conditions:
  1. Inexpensive seed (i.e. cheap)
  2. Grows quickly
  3. Does not require watering (after germination) as this area is far from my house
  4. Easy to grow
I am not planning on cutting this grass often, as it will be mostly like pasture. Do you guys have any ideas?
Bone

BoneheadNW

According to the local weather station, since 10/1/06 we have received 40.6 inches of rain, normal is 31 inches. Therefore, I would estimate that normal annual rainfall is approx 35 inches.
Bone

Mith

Bone, if I want pasture grass on an area I just leave it be, and top off any weeds that grow. Over a year maximum grass grows up, and all for free.
If you keep it topped then the weeds wont take over.

How are you clearing the land?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I put in Orchard Grass last fall for a similar project.

You can see part of the field in the pictures thread. The horses keep it grazed down around the barn. at the back it is about a foot tall.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a Kentucky Rye 47. The dealer told me it would grow on a rock. :D For my area it is awesome. One negative (if you like deer) is that deer will not eat it, so they won't graze wherever you plant it.

PBinWA

Bone,

I like Perrenial rye grass as it seems to keep its color better in the winter and while it grows thick it doesn't get too tall. It's more expensive but you can buy it at some Walmarts pretty cheap. For an acre you could easily get three big bags for around $100. I just bought a big bag this week and it was around $35.

A lot of the cheap grass blends that I use out in the pasture have stuff that grows really tall or has thick blades which I don't find particularily attractive.

Perrenial Rye grass is by far my favorite for northwest lawns and when it is cared for properly it's like carpet.

You can also get some pasture blends with clover. I like a mix of red and white clover too.

If you aren't planning on mowing it much then get some wild flower seeds and toss them out. Nothing like a field of flowers in the spring. The daisys are popping down here and in a week or two I'll have fields of daisys everywhere.

Mith

Bone, its been a couple of days, where are the progress pics? :waiting: :mrgreen:

Dont tell me its been raining :umbrella:

:wink: Just had to use them new smiles somewhere

ghautz

I have some reseeding to do and decided to go with something native to the area, in this case Blue Grama. That way I know it will survive with no or minimal maintenance and not introduce an undesirable species to the area. It isn't necessarily the cheapest way to go at first, but certainly will be the least trouble in the long run.

joncowcare

I go along with the Ryegrass considering the conditions it'll have to grow in and the fact it's for stock grazing. There are some really good hybrids around these days, it won't hurt to have a bit of Timothy and some Fescue.
I'd also consider some clover depending on the N levels.
I would'nt worry unduly about the cost, it really is a false economy to scrimp and scrape for stock grazing. You get out what you put in !
Jon

DAP

Here in new england we have something called "Contractor's Mix" which is perreniall grass, rye grass, and orchard grass.

The rye and orchard will eventually overtake the other stuff, but the other stuff is in the mix cause it will germinate in about a week if the warm and reasonably moist. They use itto ramp up the look of newly made loam beds on new houses per say.

Our horses are enjoying the rye grass but I chose to mix in some Timothy seeds with the mix as well. Let us know how it turns out.

lb59

Bone, if I want pasture grass on an area I just leave it be, and top off any weeds that grow. Over a year maximum grass grows up, and all for free.
*If you keep it topped then the weeds wont take over.

How are you clearing the land?
* And if you don't weeds hain't the only thing that will take over.
Don't ask me how I know that.