Pond Construction (?)

Nick

I would like to build a pond on some land I own. The area I'm thinking about is naturally low lying, and fed by small streams that run most of the time (especially for several days after a rainstorm). I can make the pond pretty much any size, but I'm thinking about 250 feet wide, and 4-500 feet long. This area has a lot of hardwood trees. Most are smallish 3-5 " dia, but a few are older and might be 8-10". Am I correct in thinking this is not a job for tractor, but more for a bulldozer or a trackhoe? Can a tractor equipped with a FEL and a bucket with teeth, do any good?

I have been told that it's better to remove any trees (including root balls), rather than just chainsawing the trees and leaving the stumps. Pond might need some clay on sides and bottom thus, stumps would be in the way. Downed trees would eventually be used for firewood. I'd build some sort of dike with overflow control valves at the far end of the pond.

Anybody ever build a pond like this?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Nick, I have never undertaken anything like that. But I would think that a tractor and a FEL would take a long time to accomplish that. If you have to line it with clay, then there will be a bigger hole to dig first. Then add the clay.

You might also want to check with the Corps of Engineers to see if it's even possible to disrupt the normal flow of a stream on your property.

howierd3866

Hello Nick...heres my thought..one if you are trying to dig a new pond your tractor and you will be worn out before you get close to finishing it...depend how deep you want it...we have dug some ponds in my time..I have a guy with a track hoe come in and dig it in about 2 days of digging and about 1500.00 then all thats left is moving the dirt...We use a 3 yards bucket on a loader and it takes awhile depending how far you want to more the dirt...Some ponds we dig customer only wants a pond not the dirt so if you don't want any or none find a fill contractor you needs the fill he will dig it for free for the dirt.. for the trees they need to be removed unless you want more of we call a marsh/wetland than a pond for fishing etc.I can go on but I will run out of space...my smallest tractor is 75hp....I wouldn't use it to do the pond with...cheapest way is find a fill contractor that needs the fill ask me anything more about this and I will be happy to answer...Howard

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like good advice Howard. Heck you'd probably have 1500 in fuel alone if you did it with your tractor. :eek: And it would take months, where the trac hoe would get the heavy work out of the way in a few days.
Previous owner made one with a little dozer a few years before we bought the place. He didn't make it deep enough and now silt had about filled it back up. It's a mess. Not sure what I'm going to do about it cause the retaining wall made out of tires and dirt at the far end of the pond is also slipping. A trac hoe seems like the only thing that could save it.

shinnlinger

NIca,

I kind of am in the same boat you are. I have identified a site, but havent done too much about it. What is really silly about this is I have a 40,000 lb trackhoe and a dump truck!

BUt I have done a little bit of research.
#1 is get a permit. I have heard horror sories about the fines being more than construction costs and sometimes they have to FILL IT back in = BIG bucks for nothing.

#2 look at state grants Sometimes you can get $ help if there is need for a pond for wildlife in your area. A neighbor got the state to pay for half of his a few years ago. My local fire cheif has said I can get some help with mine if I put a hydrant on it, and then it lowers my house insurance by $150 a year.

#3 is do it right. Besides leaks, HOw are you going to airate it? Old windmills are great, but getting hard to come by in this neck of the woods. I have heard of a home pond publication where you can feed several walmart fish areators with a garden hose fed by cheap aqarium fish bubblers fed by small solar panels for way less than other options.

#4 I am also of the understanding that is is easer to permit if you simply remove earth from a wet area than if you build a damn (but you need to put the earth somewhere right?, how about in a damn at the end of your pond)

#5 THere was a "Mother Earth News" guy back in the 70's I think, Frank Nearing, who dug his own pond by hand so burning diesel can get it done, but I would say "HIre a hoe"

howierd3866

its all depends on what you want to use the pond for...In Saint Lucie County Fla...we have dug alot of ponds..we usually dig them deep enough where no ones needs or use any type of pump or windmill when dug deep enough it pretty well stay clear on it own...these ponds are use for...the fill to raise their property up...for fishing...or for drainage....here or in N.C. you need a permit only when you drain it into another water souce or stop/slow down the drainage in a ditch or stream...if its a desinated wet area yes you need a permit from the state and good luck on that....

Mark777

Nick,

I’m following your post with great interest as I have a pond, neglected for years and here it sits at the back of my property. On the legal description it’s listed as 65’ X 115’ “Horse Pond”….

Twice weekly, I walk down and look at ’my’ pond…and as I’ve made many advances in the nearly four years I’ve owned the place, the pond is something I’ve yet to tackle. If I owned a horse I wouldn’t allow it to drink from this stagnant, snake infested (water moccasins) mosquito factory.

So, I wait with great anticipation while reading here and hope I can steal all the information and your ideas and apply them to the black-eye (visible from my front room window) for my pond restoration project.

Nick

Hey Mark,
I don't like that snake activity one bit - gives me a very uncomfortable feeling!! Discounting the snakes, I would think you're really in a good situation though, in that you already have a pond. I would think you'd just need to drain it somehow, let it dry out, then get it cleaned out and/or enlarged with some earth moving equipment. Sounds easy, but I'm sure it's not!

A lot of people have ponds near my (very) rural tract of land. In fact, my land is classified as a farm. One neighbor does have an aeration fountain in his pond. He says the fountain (which shoots water 10-15 feet into the air) helps reduce algae formation. Interestingly, he adds some sort colored dye to the water that also prohibits algae growth. His pond is quite deep though, so that probably helps some.

I liked the windmill idea that Paul attached - just not sure there would be enough wind to power it (???) Most of the area ponds rely on natural water flow to maintain clarity, and most look pretty clear in fact.

I had a feeling that timber removal and land clearing is not really a tractor kind of job. When I go ahead with the pond, I think I'll contract this kind of work. I'm sure someone with the right equipment and knowledge can do this job faster and better than I could.

Thanks for all the replies!

Nick

howierd3866

Mark...I agree with Nick your pond is already a pond and if you can drain it you can then put a dozer in it...or a long stick hoe which we have down in Fla with stick 65ft long...once you get it clean out you can call your game and wildlife dept for some help in keeping it stock and clean...Howard

Bindian

Nick,
Check out this site. http://www.pondboss.com/
Another thing to remember about stumps is when the roots decay, they will let water seep. Get all them out. I am digging my own pond, but it is small. Your size will need a heavy equipment.
hugs, Brandi

justneedit

Nick, I've had a 1/2 acre pond behind my house for almost 30 years and I still love it! Absolutely take Bindian's advice and check out Pondboss. It's far and away the most informative site I've found on the subject!