TO-30

Robert Hole

I know this sounds like a silly question but does the pto have to be running on the to-30 for the lift arms of the three point hitch to work? I am used to newer tractors and have never had to have the pto in gear for the lift arms to work.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do not know the TO-30 but I have never seen a tractor that needed the PTO running for the 3PH to work. That could be dangerous, especially if nothing was attached to the PTO at the time.
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. :tiphat:

Robert Hole

Yeah what I was thinking, wonder if the pump got put in wrong some how or if there is a part missing. I just got the tractor and not tried to open anything as yet, have found a few sources for parts online any suggestions to who is the most reliable.

And thanks for the welcome and fast reply.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Or hydraulics might be hooked up wrong. Most likely something simple. I'm surprised they did not check all that before sending the tractor out to a new owner.

Robert Hole

Well they do work on several brands of tractors so might have been one of those slipped through the cracks deal, will go in to the shop Monday and speak to them about it.

And thanks again for the tips, never hurts to have someone else to give ya ideas or things to check.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We need Mith to chime in here. I think he has a TO-30. I sent him my manual on it so I can't reference that...

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I know this sounds like a silly question but does the pto have to be running on the to-30 for the lift arms of the three point hitch to work? I am used to newer tractors and have never had to have the pto in gear for the lift arms to work.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Bob

Robert, I have a TO-30 and my PTO does not have to run in order for the lift arms to work.

Mine does not have live PTO, so the clutch has to be out for the lift arms or PTO to work.

Bob

Robert Hole

Thanks for the info I will do some checking I may have been holding the clutch down when I was trying to lift the arms, have a habit of doing that. And thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Rob

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
While we're talking about TO-30 tractors, does yours have power steering? Mine does not and I'm seriously thinking about adding it. A mechanic friend thinks it can be added without a lot of trouble, but I don't know.

Bob

Robert Hole

No mine does not have power steering, and I can't imagine it being too difficult to retro fit some kind of power steering unit. Oh and my lift arms do not raise unless the pto is engaged, tried and from the way it is acting I think the system isn't right. Will be paying the dealer a visit tomorrow to figure out what will be done.

Rob

urednecku

NO, it should NOT be necessary for the pto to be on for the lift arms to operate. HUGE safety issues there!!

Think about it....what would happen if you connected a bush-hog, (or any mower), post hole auger, or anything else & had to run it to lift it?

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
No mine does not have power steering, and I can't imagine it being too difficult to retro fit some kind of power steering unit. Oh and my lift arms do not raise unless the pto is engaged, tried and from the way it is acting I think the system isn't right. Will be paying the dealer a visit tomorrow to figure out what will be done.

Rob

Good luck with the visit to the dealer. Sure hope the repair is covered under some type of warranty because all hydraulic work I have had done has been very expensive.

Bob

Robert Hole

Thanks for all the info folks, after a trip into see the dealer it would seem this tractor has a live pto, in other words it has to be running for the hydro system to work, yes it can be a safety issue but it would appear that is tractor was built before they went to the clutch system mentioned by rlk. Just my luck but not a great big deal since I am only using it for bush hogging and a scrap blade. Just have to watch out while running the cutter deck.

Rob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got er figured out and thanks for updating us so we know also. :tiphat:

My to 30 pto has to be in gear for the pump to work. If you look, there are threads for a cap to cover the pto when not being used. That way the pto can turn without a safety problem. I have put an overrunning clutch on mine as I do a lot of mowing with a brush hog. This is something that needs to be done if you use one. These older tractors didn't have this system built in and it can cause catastrophic issues with the front end if you try to stop. The inertia of the mower will push you through a fence or worse.

Robert Hole

Been away for a while so sorry for the long gap in my posts. I have an overrun clutch but it is still a bit tricky. My next little issue to pop up is I am going to have to do something with the lift control, cause the 3PH is either up or down very hard to have it maintain a certain height. I am fairly sure it is in the control handle valve. I knew I should have got a manual for this thing :)