Stuck Pin Gauge on Mower Deck

lopinslo

The pin gauge for my scalp wheels are slightly bent and will not move up or down for me to change the highth of the wheels. What is the best way to correct this problem? See item #060 in attahment.

Attachments

• Pin Gauge Drawing.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 22

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you tried heating it up and straightening it so you can hammer it out of the sleeve?

lopinslo

Stuck Pin Gauge

I thought that maight be the last resort. I have a welding shop nearby so I guess I give it a try. Thee bend in the pin is so slight but just enough for it to be stuck tight. Also, maybe heating the collar will open it up enough to allow the pin to come out. Thanks for input.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
lubricate it up good too. That can make a huge difference, that and a big ass hammer. :D
Good luck

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thinking on this I think I would focus more on the pin than the collar. if you heat the collar and then use the big ass hammer the collar might bend out of shape. If you can get the pin out with HH (heat & hammer) maybe look into cutting the pin in two. Plasma cutters sure do come in handy ......wish i had one.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
This may sound like a stupid thing to ask but is it stuck in the sleeve from both directions? Can you rotate it in the sleeve or is it "welded" in place?

Usually the answer to such a problem is brute force and ignorance ... and a good soaking in oil/freeing agent etc. I have a bigger hammer if you need to borrow it. Let us know if you get it out ... and how.