Switching brands

JDtoys

I think my mind is made up. The Mahindra looks to have me sold. Not only on tractor but my local dealer. I am going to be looking at 60-70 hp tractor. Anyone currently running one that size with some feedback.

Dougster

Old Member
I think my mind is made up. The Mahindra looks to have me sold. Not only on tractor but my local dealer. I am going to be looking at 60-70 hp tractor. Anyone currently running one that size with some feedback.
Brian (MtnViewRanch) just came on board with his 75-horsepower 7520 4WD. I'll let him address this fine machine himself. The 20-series is a particular favorite of mine and they make a non-turbo 65 horsepower version (aptly named the 6520) that's essentially the same machine except lower HP and lower hydraulic flow. Slightly smaller front tires too.

Both are available in 2WD and 4WD versions.

Dougster

JDtoys, not sure what all that you need to know, but back in 2004 when I bought my 7520 it was simply the best tractor available for its hp range.:D Most weight, (7350lbs) highest hydraulic output, (17gpm) highest lift capacity, (5500lbs @ hitch point) Most accessories that came std. Best price.

Now I know that some of the acc that I got as std equipment are now acc that they charge for, and I think that prices have gone up a little, although actually more than a little because of fewer std acc. When I bought my 7520 the only options from Mahindra were the 3rd rear hydraulic remote and the 3rd function electric valve for the loader. I ended up buying the electric valve at time of purchase and the 3rd rear remote last year.

Currently I believe that the front and rear cast iron weights that came with my tractor are an extra charge as would be the 3rd rear remote. I was told that the 3rd function valve for the loader is no longer a Mahindra option and an after market valve would have to be used at this time.

If you are going to be wanting a cab model, Mahindra is coming out with a new 80+hp model that is supposed to be out in Feb 08. Their current 70hp cab model is actually a TYM tractor with a Mahindra engine. I have not actually seen the Mahindra model, but have seen and been in the Montana version of the same TYM tractor with a John Deere engine and it is one nice machine. Might be able to get a deal on one of these the 1st of next year I would think. I would count on Mahindra's new cab model to be even better. We will see in Feb I guess.

As far as the 7520 goes, it has been a great tractor for me. I only have about 220 hours on it though, so it is not even broken in yet. The 2 problems that I have had with it are the radiator overflow tank cracked in the 14th month and I replaced it with a new updated version and a nut on the steering actuator came loose and was an oily mess. just had to track down the leak and tighten the nut. The tractor has plenty of power for me. I use it mostly for dirt work, loader, rear blade, box blade, grading two miles of road. As far as field work it gets used for flail mowing with 102" heavy duty mower, harrowing and disking with an 8' offset pull disk. My disk is really the only implement that works the tractor. It is about 2200lbs with 22" notched disks and usually the 2nd time around for me it is digging in 8"-9" deep. (axle deep) Even with that it really only works going up hill. Flat or down hill, no problem. I have found that low range 4th gear works good on the flat & downhill areas, (5.57 mph) and that low range 3rd gear is good for up hill. (3.94mph)

One last thing, I have my tractor ballasted about as heavy as I can get it. Tried first with 4 sets of cast iron rear weights, (helped very little) then fluid filled all 4 tires. That was the ticket, tractor weighs in around 12,000lbs the best that I can figure. I have R4s due to my place was burned out in 2002 and I felt that I needed a tougher tire to hold up against all the burn stuff that there was. The R1's have about 30% more traction the best that I can figure, but I have been fine so far.;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Great Post!!!

This is a perfect example of WHY NetTractorTalk was started and frankly I was excited to hear about the bigger horses. Reps on the way MtnViewRanch.

JDtoys, not sure what all that you need to know, but back in 2004 when I bought my 7520 it was simply the best tractor available for its hp range.:D Most weight, (7350lbs) highest hydraulic output, (17gpm) highest lift capacity, (5500lbs @ hitch point) Most accessories that came std. Best price.

Now I know that some of the acc that I got as std equipment are now acc that they charge for, and I think that prices have gone up a little, although actually more than a little because of fewer std acc. When I bought my 7520 the only options from Mahindra were the 3rd rear hydraulic remote and the 3rd function electric valve for the loader. I ended up buying the electric valve at time of purchase and the 3rd rear remote last year.

Currently I believe that the front and rear cast iron weights that came with my tractor are an extra charge as would be the 3rd rear remote. I was told that the 3rd function valve for the loader is no longer a Mahindra option and an after market valve would have to be used at this time.

If you are going to be wanting a cab model, Mahindra is coming out with a new 80+hp model that is supposed to be out in Feb 08. Their current 70hp cab model is actually a TYM tractor with a Mahindra engine. I have not actually seen the Mahindra model, but have seen and been in the Montana version of the same TYM tractor with a John Deere engine and it is one nice machine. Might be able to get a deal on one of these the 1st of next year I would think. I would count on Mahindra's new cab model to be even better. We will see in Feb I guess.

As far as the 7520 goes, it has been a great tractor for me. I only have about 220 hours on it though, so it is not even broken in yet. The 2 problems that I have had with it are the radiator overflow tank cracked in the 14th month and I replaced it with a new updated version and a nut on the steering actuator came loose and was an oily mess. just had to track down the leak and tighten the nut. The tractor has plenty of power for me. I use it mostly for dirt work, loader, rear blade, box blade, grading two miles of road. As far as field work it gets used for flail mowing with 102" heavy duty mower, harrowing and disking with an 8' offset pull disk. My disk is really the only implement that works the tractor. It is about 2200lbs with 22" notched disks and usually the 2nd time around for me it is digging in 8"-9" deep. (axle deep) Even with that it really only works going up hill. Flat or down hill, no problem. I have found that low range 4th gear works good on the flat & downhill areas, (5.57 mph) and that low range 3rd gear is good for up hill. (3.94mph)

One last thing, I have my tractor ballasted about as heavy as I can get it. Tried first with 4 sets of cast iron rear weights, (helped very little) then fluid filled all 4 tires. That was the ticket, tractor weighs in around 12,000lbs the best that I can figure. I have R4s due to my place was burned out in 2002 and I felt that I needed a tougher tire to hold up against all the burn stuff that there was. The R1's have about 30% more traction the best that I can figure, but I have been fine so far.;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

larryRB

I had a Mahindra 4110 model. For basic farm type work, it was a great tractor. I tried using it, (it had a Bradco 11ft hoe) as a commercial machine. Mahindra does not have a commercial machine and I doubt they will ever go that direction, however, other than trying to make it a commercial machine, the 4110 was a great tractor., If I needed plowing, bush hogging, tilling, ocassionaly moving snow or piles of whatever, any Mahindra that fits your needs and budget will do fine in this respect.

JDtoys

Not quite made up my mind yet. We just finished up pickin beans this week and we are trying to get the wheat in the ground behind this rain so it has been busy. I went by the Mahindra dealer Wed. had to pick up some blades for the disc and talked to them for a while. Love to dealership and the equipment. But I have 2 4850's that I have been lookin at trading in or selling. This dealer was not interested in tying up the money in buying or trading being that he was new. I understand that. I called the deere dealer in carolina that I deal with and he dropped off a 7230 Thursday so I have been running that. Good tractor. He is going to let me know what kind of "deal" he can give me. My grandpa told me a long time ago " boy a deal ain't no deal unless both parties are happy." So we will see what happens. Still love that Mahindra. Not quite as operator friendly however it's less than 1/2 the money. We will see.
Billy

GLAWALL

What model Mahindra

JDtoys,
What was the model Mahindra you were looking at? It seems to me that if you have that big a price difference between the Mahindra and the Deere, you could buy the Mahindra sell your used tractors for less than you think they are worth, for a quick sale, and still be far ahead. I was just wondering what model you were comparing. I'm sure the tractor you choose will be right for you.

Not quite made up my mind yet. We just finished up pickin beans this week and we are trying to get the wheat in the ground behind this rain so it has been busy. I went by the Mahindra dealer Wed. had to pick up some blades for the disc and talked to them for a while. Love to dealership and the equipment. But I have 2 4850's that I have been lookin at trading in or selling. This dealer was not interested in tying up the money in buying or trading being that he was new. I understand that. I called the deere dealer in carolina that I deal with and he dropped off a 7230 Thursday so I have been running that. Good tractor. He is going to let me know what kind of "deal" he can give me. My grandpa told me a long time ago " boy a deal ain't no deal unless both parties are happy." So we will see what happens. Still love that Mahindra. Not quite as operator friendly however it's less than 1/2 the money. We will see.
Billy

Just wondering, what about the Deere is more operator friendly? I believe the price difference, when I was looking, the Deere's were way out of line, or so it seemed to me.

Dougster

Old Member
Billy
Hey Billy - Those John Deeres... the older 4850s and the new 7230... are huge, mega-powerful tractors by comparison to anything Mahindra currently imports into this country. No wonder that new 7230 is more than twice the price of the Mahindra you're looking at. Now you've got me really curious about this apples and oranges comparison. I thought you wanted something in the 60-70 HP range... but all them Deeres are a whole lot more than that.

I am so confused. :confused:

Dougster