RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Knowing the kids/grandkids will be wanting to ride around the place I started looking at "rumble seats" online and found the good ones priced between $350 and $450 plus shipping and then needing some assembly.

Then I remembered I had a N.O.S. school bus seat sitting in my hangar which already had seatbelts installed. Using two 21" length's of 1-1/2" angle bolted to the bed and some quick-release-pins I mounted it on the cargo bed. Almost nothing inve$ted.

Pulling the pins returns it to a cargo-bed in less than a minute.

Attachments

• Rumble.jpg
    Rumble.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 158
  • RearView.jpg
    RearView.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Mounting.jpg
    Mounting.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 156

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Knowing the kids/grandkids will be wanting to ride around the place I started looking at "rumble seats" online and found the good ones priced between $350 and $450 plus shipping and then needing some assembly.

Then I remembered I had a N.O.S. school bus seat sitting in my hangar which already had seatbelts installed. Using two 21" length's of 1-1/2" angle bolted to the bed and some quick-release-pins I mounted it on the cargo bed. Almost nothing inve.

Pulling the pins returns it to a cargo-bed in less than a minute.

After visitors came last weekend and rides were given around the ranch I wanted to personally experience what it was like to ride in the rumble seat.
It was a really fine ride.
But there is a general feeling of insecurity without grab-bars as the RTV rocks slightly over uneven terrain, so I fabricated a safety set of grab-bar/restraints yesterday.

MUCH better!

I made it out of 1-inch square tubing which fits perfectly/snugly down into the corner-posts of the cargo bed. I capped-off the open ends of the square tubing with furniture-caps from Lowes. Note: If you choose to do something similar, The cross-bar across/behind the seat back is not attached to anything but the upright sq. tubes, and is necessary to prevent stress being transferred to the fairly weak side-walls of the RTV cargo bed. The entire contraption can be removed by pulling the pins from the lower seat frame to pull the seat, and then pulling the safety-bars as a complete unit upward/out of the cargo-bed, and set aside.

Attachments

• IMG_20190529_093042304.jpg
    IMG_20190529_093042304.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good. If you run the possibility of rollover you may want to go to the same pipe as the ROPS is made of. My Roxor has the pipe and also nets to keep legs and arms in. I use the net on the passenger side to keep Dixie from falling out in addition to her harness.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I won't drive in such a way as to roll over if pax are in the rumble seat. In fact, I don't drive that way EVER. Additionally, I'm not qualified to mfr ROPS anyway.
Just to be clear, this is not ROPS protection. This is only intended for pax comfort as a hand rail and seat security due to a sense of rocking motion in that cargo seat, due to height above ground.

(and Mahindra riders are probably needful of more restraint as they aren't as aware as Kubota riders and may have mental issues.) :whistling:

Last edited:

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I cleaned out a ditch with my 1120.

I was bush hogging with the DR tow behind and RTV along the driveway. Got a little too close to the ditch and she slid over. So I am going uphill, pulling the DR on slick, wet red clay. I put it in 4WD and locked the rear wheels - one of the very few times I've had to do this.

By this time, the DR was dragging on the ground because one wheel slipped into the ditch.

By backing up, I was able to get a little more momentum and those Blackwaters just dug me out.

While it took about 30 minutes to work my way out, the RTV temp never edged above the midpoint.

Next time, we'll let the multiflora grow on that side of the driveway.

I finished the driveway and field. When I got done, I heard some drive train noise and stopped to investigate. There was a small stick that had made its way through a gap in the skid plate and must have been contacting the driveshaft. Hope it did not tear any boots. Will inspect thoroughly tomorrow.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you made it out safely. You did a good job getting out. I agree the Blackwater Evolutions are some real grippers but it takes a good driver with common sense too . That ditch driving is hair raising for sure. Yes, the roses can grow there in my opinion too. Speaking of sticks, I once had one come so close to the radiator that it was hitting the fan blade slightly. I'm glad that all worked out well for you with the stick too. :tiphat: collie

EQUIKIDS

RTV Research!! Horsepower and HST question

I'm looking for a UTV/RTV for our horse farm. Its primary purpose would be to drag an indoor arena with a 250lb attachment. The footing is a crush blue stone and sand mixture and only going 4" deep at the most.
I had a dealer bring by a RTV and being a Kabota guy ( two tractors currently) I was excited to see what the RTV could do.
The RTV ran well but while dragging the arena in certain areas it bogged down to a crawl and i let up on the fuel and it slowly began to craw faster. I currently have a 4x6 diesel gator that has no problems pulling the attachment to drag. but this new RTV diesel didn't seem to pull as well as i expected. Is this because of the HST and the gator is chain driven? I haven't purchased this equipment yet because I afraid that it lacks power and wont be able to do what the gator is doing.

This is for a non profit therapeutic horse back riding organization so i hate spending money and want to make sure that the equipment that i purchase will last a long time and do what i need it to do.

Thanks for your Input
Billy

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I'm looking for a UTV/RTV for our horse farm. Its primary purpose would be to drag an indoor arena with a 250lb attachment. The footing is a crush blue stone and sand mixture and only going 4" deep at the most.
I had a dealer bring by a RTV and being a Kabota guy ( two tractors currently) I was excited to see what the RTV could do.
The RTV ran well but while dragging the arena in certain areas it bogged down to a crawl and i let up on the fuel and it slowly began to craw faster. I currently have a 4x6 diesel gator that has no problems pulling the attachment to drag. but this new RTV diesel didn't seem to pull as well as i expected. Is this because of the HST and the gator is chain driven? I haven't purchased this equipment yet because I afraid that it lacks power and wont be able to do what the gator is doing.

This is for a non profit therapeutic horse back riding organization so i hate spending money and want to make sure that the equipment that i purchase will last a long time and do what i need it to do.

Thanks for your Input
Billy

what model of RTV did you demo. there are basically two engine family in the diesel RTV. the smallest a 900 and the largest is 1100. also you need to understand that the transmission is a hydrostat unlike the belt drive on the deere. the advantage to the RTV is with a hand throttle you can rev the engine up like a tractor and just use the foot peddle for speed changes. you will have the most power at slow speeds with engine revved. it is also possible that your rear wheels were spinning loosing traction. i have pulled 2000 lbs dead weight skidding over rough terrain many times without loss of power but i do have an 1100.

EQUIKIDS

I will ask the dealer about the hand throttle like my two tractors. Its the 900 model. Thanks for the information!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i'll bet the gator has more horsepower than the 900 rtv. if you want similar performance you might want to move up to the 1140 or x1120 RTV with the optional hand throttle. one other nice thing about the 1140 is the option to carry 4 people and convert to a very large box in a split second. also make sure you select low gear and possible 4wd for traction.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i looked up the 6x4 deere to see how the rtv900 would compare. looks like the horsepower is pretty close to the same. i think the deere is heavier and the tires are bigger and softer with four wheels in tandem pulling all the time. so i would estimate the 900 would probably meet or exceed your expectations if you use the HST with a hand throttle and maybe some weight in the box and 4wd. also might consider a set of radial tires also. ust my 2 pennys.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome, The low gear and 4wd will make a big difference or it did in my case when pulling heavy mineral skidded mineral troughs. Ask the dealer to bring another out and like Aurthuritis said also, the larger RTV models have more power and can carry more people with the extra seat function. I only had a 900. - but for sure, the engine is tough as nails- and transmission too with oem filters and SUDT2 hydraulic fluid. collie

RickW

I think you had more of a traction issue than a power issue. My X1100 has the industrial tires and it does not take much for it to start having traction problems when it is empty and on wet ground. Even with a load of sand (about 1/2 yard) I can transverse uneven ground in high gear with the A/C on and not need to lock the rear end or put it in 4WD.

I have a 4x8 enclosed utility trailer. I use the X1100 for putting it in its parking space in the pole barn. The trailer is light enough that it can be picked up and moved by hand on pavement with ease. I use the front hitch when parking the trailer as it is easier to see what I am doing. With just the tongue weight of the trailer on the front hitch and nothing in the bed for weight, I have to use 4WD or I will not have enough traction from the rear even if locked. When I pull it out I use the rear hitch. 4WD is not needed. Just that little shift of weight from rear/front makes a huge difference.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes i agree. i finally wore out the stock tires on both of my 1100's. i replaced the tires on the X1100 with ITP radial 26x11-12 tires and it made a HUGE difference. on the 07 1100 i used the same tire but i stayed with the 25x10-12 with the same boost in performance. if i had it to do all over again i would negotiate for different tires in the purchase.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm curious what tires were on the demo? I posted this morning on the Roxor forum here about the improvement the new more aggressive tires I bought for it made, on how the Roxor handled in the pastures. I remember the RTV's worksite tires did not suit my purpose here on the farm ,but were good for other uses by members and didn't tear sod as much as my aggressive ones. collie