ALL IN A DAYS WORK!

Thank you Brian!
It is starting to look like a smaller version of your bucket. I'll post a pic after I get the receiver welded on!

Bindian

Hello All!:wave:
Today I welded hooks and toothbar plates to my bucket and also finished my carry all! I bought a stick welder because I got impatient waiting on a welder to come out to the house. I've been practicing welding for a month or so and it just seems to get tougher. Anyway, first I sanded all of the paint off in the weld area. Then I clamped down the 2" X 3" X 1/4" thick angle iron and sat back and told myself "Whats the worst that could happen"?
Mud,:wave:
Awesome job!:thumb: That Lincoln cracker box (that term always cracks me up:yum::yum::yum:) is like the one I learned to arc weld on in Ag. class........AND the one I am going to purchase as soon as I wire 220 to my new barn. I decided that when the welder didn't straighten:bangin: out my bucket lip and welded a 3/8 inch angle over it.:eek: Two questions. If you were waiting for the welder to come out, why didn't you take the bucket to him? Why did you have to weld on a vertical when you could have rolled the bucket up or down?:confused:
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 2-15-08 Door rail flashing installed.jpg
    2-15-08 Door rail flashing installed.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 21
Two questions. If you were waiting for the welder to come out, why didn't you take the bucket to him? Why did you have to weld on a vertical when you could have rolled the bucket up or down?:confused:
hugs, Brandi
Hey Brandi,
Thanks for the thumbs up!:tiphat:

That is a mighty fine looking RED barn!

(Answer 1) Since I don't have a trailer big enough to haul my tractor, I was going to drop my bucket in my truck and take it to the welder. When I spoke with him, he was in the middle of building a trailer for our local sheriff and said he could possibly get to it within 30 days. I called another welding company and was told they were really backed up as well.
Thats when I told myself it was time to learn how to weld.:read: :read: :read:
Also, just a few months ago I had my barn/shed wired with lights and 110 outlets and 220. That was another reason to dive into welding!

(Answer 2) When I was welding the square toothbar plates on the side of my bucket, I should have dropped the bucket and turned it upside down because the bucket doesn't pivot enough to allow all four sides of the toothbar plate to be horizonal. Also, I had the battery disconnected and I guess I thought it would have been a hassle to hook the battery back up just to disconnect it again while continuing to weld. Either way, curiosity:huh: led me to weld on a verticle with the bucket attached.:D

Last edited:

quincy

Mud, next time you're welding on the vertical, start your weld at the bottom and work your way up. Working in an upside down U (if that makes sense). Dont let your puddle get too big cos it'll drop off and you'll be left with a pothole. It takes some practise but you'll get it.
Like this...
Weldformud.jpg

Mud, next time you're welding on the vertical, start your weld at the bottom and work your way up. Working in an upside down U (if that makes sense). Dont let your puddle get too big cos it'll drop off and you'll be left with a pothole. It takes some practise but you'll get it.
Like this...
Weldformud.jpg
quincy,
Thank you for the info and the visual! It makes perfect sense. Next time I practice I'll use that pattern working my way up.

Thanks again,

Bindian

Hey Brandi,
Thanks for the thumbs up!

That is a mighty fine looking RED barn!

(Answer 1) Since I don't have a trailer big enough to haul my tractor, I was going to drop my bucket in my truck and take it to the welder. When I spoke with him, he was in the middle of building a trailer for our local sheriff and said he could possibly get to it within 30 days. I called another welding company and was told they were really backed up as well.
Thats when I told myself it was time to learn how to weld.:read:
Also, just a few months ago I had my barn/shed wired with lights and 110 outlets and 220. That was another reason to dive into welding!

(Answer 2) When I was welding the square toothbar plates on the side of my bucket, I should have dropped the bucket and turned it upside down because the bucket doesn't pivot enough to allow all four sides of the toothbar plate to be horizonal. Also, I had the battery disconnected and I guess I thought it would have been a hassle to hook the battery back up just to disconnect it again while continuing to weld. Either way, curiosity:huh: led me to weld on a verticle with the bucket attached.:D
Mud,
Is it still raining there? It rained all yesterday evening and thru the night. I still hear a little hitting the roof.:pat: But I got enough siding on the barn now to continue working out there! :cool:
#1. I was going to ask why you couldn't trailer the bucket to the welder. I guess I am spoiled with my "drop-in" welders at my favorite welding shop.:thumb: Only time I had to wait was when I got there late on a Friday afternoon, and then I was told to come back Monday morning!:wink:
#2. I was fixing to ask what Quincy explained about pushing the puddle up hill. I haven't a clue about the battery connected or disconnected.:stupid: I welded some braces back of my Uncle's "farm only" truck without taking the battery ground off. It was okay, but it was an early 80s model Ford. I have just arc welded hay racks for Ag class projects, which is a hard way to perfect your technique, as it was made from 3/8 rebar (concrete reinforcing rod, sometimes called suckle rod around here). A short welding class and some acetylene welding "tests" in A&P School. We passed or failed after the instructor threw our tests on the ground. Pass equaled one piece. Failure equaled two or more pieces. I have done some acetylene welding (brazing?) to make special aircraft tools also. So I am pretty inexperienced.:pat: I just know enough to get myself in trouble.:yum::yum::yum:
hugs, Brandi

quincy

Sorry Brandi, Thats what my dad called it when he showed me how to weld. The puddle is the hottest part of the metal just after the rod melts into the piece. I'm not sure what the pros call it, i've never taken classes on welding.

Bindian

Sorry Brandi, Thats what my dad called it when he showed me how to weld. The puddle is the hottest part of the metal just after the rod melts into the piece. I'm not sure what the pros call it, i've never taken classes on welding.
Quincy,
I wrote that sentence wrong, as I was in a hurry.:oops: I was going to ask Mud which direction he was welding the vertical. I wasn't saying it wasn't called a puddle. That is what I call it.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi

Mud,
Is it still raining there? It rained all yesterday evening and thru the night. I still hear a little hitting the roof. But I got enough siding on the barn now to continue working out there!
#1. I was going to ask why you couldn't trailer the bucket to the welder. I guess I am spoiled with my "drop-in" welders at my favorite welding shop.:thumb: Only time I had to wait was when I got there late on a Friday afternoon, and then I was told to come back Monday morning!
#2. I was fixing to ask what Quincy explained about pushing the puddle up hill. I haven't a clue about the battery connected or disconnected.:stupid: I welded some braces back of my Uncle's "farm only" truck without taking the battery ground off. It was okay, but it was an early 80s model Ford. I have just arc welded hay racks for Ag class projects, which is a hard way to perfect your technique, as it was made from 3/8 rebar (concrete reinforcing rod, sometimes called suckle rod around here). A short welding class and some acetylene welding "tests" in A&P School. We passed or failed after the instructor threw our tests on the ground. Pass equaled one piece. Failure equaled two or more pieces. I have done some acetylene welding (brazing?) to make special aircraft tools also. So I am pretty inexperienced.:pat: I just know enough to get myself in trouble.:yum::yum::yum:
hugs, Brandi
Brandi,
It started raining last night and is still going pretty strong.:umbrella:
Talking about being inexperienced, that's my middle name when it comes to welding!:eek: The only "training" I've had is one welding book and posts from some fine folks. I've learned way more from different posts than that book!:respect:

It's debatable whether disconnecting the battery while welding is the right thing to do or not. Supposedly, most new tractors with computers can be affected while juiced up. The majority here believes disconnecting the battery is the correct decision so I went with the majority.

As for as passing your tests in Ag class, your teacher's method of grading leaves little doubt!:bangin:

I read in another thread that sometimes with a stick welder in the hands of a beginner, one can break a weld by a blow of a hammer. That stuck in my mind so after I welded my hooks, I got out my small sledge and rapped on them a couple of times. They held!

Looks like I have time to study up on welding as I won't get any seat time today!:read: :angry:

Brandi, I just read your other post on the direction of the verticle.
Of course I welded down! Like you said earlier, live and learn, right?

Last edited:

Mith

Brandi, on the welding course I went on the initial method of testing was to beat with a big hammer :D Its quite easy to made a good looking but poorly penetrating weld, the hammer sorts the men from the boys :D

Next test was with acid to see the penetration. Also we did a butt weld on 1/4" plate, and they bent it in the press to a 100 degree angle. If no cracks showed you passed. I've got my test peice on my desk here, no cracks present :D

urednecku

Nice job, Mud! What would it cost for you to come to central Fla & do the same to my FEL bucket?
I have a Loncoln "buzz box" my late Dad bought about 30+ years ago. I've used it to "spit & sputter", but am NOT a welder! I hope to learn in the near future.

Bindian

Nice job, Mud! What would it cost for you to come to central Fla & do the same to my FEL bucket?
I have a Loncoln "buzz box" my late Dad bought about 30+ years ago. I've used it to "spit & sputter", but am NOT a welder! I hope to learn in the near future.
I can see it now..The Traveling Mud Show.:yum::yum::yum::thumb:
hugs, Brandi

urednecku,
Thanks for the compliment! I've got a lot of learning to do yet. Today I went to TSC and bought a weld-on receiver tube. As soon as we get a dry day, I'll tackle welding that on my bucket. Now going to Florida to do some welding, well, you probably want me to practice more first, uh, I mean you DEFINITELY want me to practice more!:yum::yum: :yum:

"The Traveling Mud Show"

Hmmm....Brandi, I like it! Kinda has a nice ring to it!:bb:

Bindian

urednecku,
Thanks for the compliment! I've got a lot of learning to do yet. Today I went to TSC and bought a weld-on receiver tube. As soon as we get a dry day, I'll tackle welding that on my bucket. Now going to Florida to do some welding, well, you probably want me to practice more first, uh, I mean you DEFINITELY want me to practice more!:yum::yum: :yum:

"The Traveling Mud Show"

Hmmm....Brandi, I like it! Kinda has a nice ring to it!:bb:
Yes, it does.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi

shinnlinger

Hey,

I am glad you just went and did it...It is only a tractor after all...And it looks good......

About verticle welding....With that AC buzz box of yours you may find it easier to turn it up a bit and then run your weld DOWN hill. COmpare the two methods and see. I ussually used 6011 with my "tombstone" and had better reusults running down hill.

Hey,

I am glad you just went and did it...It is only a tractor after all...And it looks good......

About verticle welding....With that AC buzz box of yours you may find it easier to turn it up a bit and then run your weld DOWN hill. COmpare the two methods and see. I ussually used 6011 with my "tombstone" and had better reusults running down hill.
Shinnlinger,

Thanks for the tip! Do you know how much research it would have taken to find that tip? :read: :read: :read:
That's why I truly appreciate the members of this forum!:applause: :respect: