Keep MD160 or trade?

fishrman

My MD160 is about 10 or 11 years old. I think it is in great condition considering its age. I have been thinking of getting a new one for a couple of reasons. One, I have a new New Holland TT45A that it just doesn't fit well on with the regular 3 point set up because of the way they designed the front shield on the MD160. It comes out toward the tractor instead of going straight down. This interferes with the raising of the mower. I have been thinking about all the different fixes for this little problem but then thought, maybe it is time to just get a new mower. Now, is the BB60 as good as the one I have or not? I am using a 5 foot and want to stay with that. I have been trying to compare the two and see some differences but I also know that nothing lasts forever. Dealer told me he would trade for a new BB60 for 1250.00 including the slip clutch. Not sure I really need the slip clutch either. He told me the BB60 was 2100. new. I am not sure that is true either. Anyway, appreciate your input.
Thanks! :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tough call. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the MD160. If it's still in good shape I'd probably look for a way to fix the issue of it not fitting your TT45A.

As for the BB60 I did a price search and found a 2010 model for 1350 in Mich.
here are the stats on the one I found:
Features:

Contoured frame design
2-inch round tube rear frame (this is an exclusive feature!)
Two 3-inch x 4-inch full length structural tubes (this is an exclusive feature!)
Full length side skids
Safety shielded Category 3 driveline
Slip clutch
Stump jumper
Cutting capacity: 1.5 inches diameter
65 HP gearbox with 14,355 fpm blade tip speed
Rear deflector safety shield
360-degree swivel tailwheel
5-year limited gearbox warranty

Chain shielding is optional; add $200 to price.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5379155&dlr=1

fishrman

Thanks Doc!
That looks like a great price on that BB60. That is only 100.00 higher than what the dealer told me he would trade me for.
I know the MD160 had a different gear box as my manual indicates a speed of only 11,476. I just haven't convinced myself that the BB60 is an equal or better than the one I have. On the other hand, I know nothing last forever and I would hate to end up having to do repairs on my gear box.
Thanks again.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On another thread someone suggested adding a Pat's easy change or some other type of quick change system to cure a similar problem. That would move the mower back several inches. Would that be enough for it to clear?

Only thing to watch is to make sure the pto shaft isn't too short in the new location.

Jim

fishrman

Yep, I think that might do the trick but it would still cost me about 200.00 for that and I was just thinking maybe I should apply it toward a new mower. I don't know. I have been looking some at Brush Hog too. I don't think anything is made as good as it used to be but I don't want to have any problems with my old one either. Decisions, Decisions! :pat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have Pat's easy change system and will strongly endorse it as a good way to easily change implements. Before I had Pat's Easy Change System i would have to fight my box blade and my rotary cutter to get them off or on. The easy change system cut my change time in half and made it so much easier ...plus saved me a few visits to a chiropractor I'm sure.

fishrman

I have Pat's easy change system and will strongly endorse it as a good way to easily change implements. Before I had Pat's Easy Change System i would have to fight my box blade and my rotary cutter to get them off or on. The easy change system cut my change time in half and made it so much easier ...plus saved me a few visits to a chiropractor I'm sure.

Well, you about got me talked into just keeping my old machine and going with the Easy Change sytem. I have found a couple of similar ones just looking on the net but I have a feeling Pats might be better made than some of the others that may be copy cat types.
Headed north fishin tomorrow for a week so I guess I will worry about this more when I get back. On the other hand, if I would order the Pats system now, I might have it by the time I get back.
I am wondering if the old MD160 had a better gear box than what they are putting on the BB60?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would recommend Pat's Easy Change system even if you get the BB60. I do think you'd be glad you did.
As for the gears with the good synthetic lubes we have now days a well maintained gear box can last even longer than before.
Have fun fishing. Take some pics of your catch ...we'd love to see them. :thumb: :beer:

fishrman

I would recommend Pat's Easy Change system even if you get the BB60. I do think you'd be glad you did.
As for the gears with the good synthetic lubes we have now days a well maintained gear box can last even longer than before.
Have fun fishing. Take some pics of your catch ...we'd love to see them. :thumb: :beer:
Thanks again!
Maybe I will go ahead and get the hitch on order before I head out the door. Actually, I probably won't, I got to get goin.
Speaking of maintaining the gears. Do you like to use grease or lubricant in the gear box. I have heard of some folks filling with grease to prevent leakage.
Realative to fish pics. Be careful what you ask for! :wink:

fishrman

Update to this thread. I still have the MD160 and removed all the old lubricant and put in new. The gears still looked like new so it was hard to justify getting a new mower. Also, I did get the Pat's Easy Change System and I would recommend it!