I Bought an Old Rusty Piece of Junk Yesterday

shvl73

I think it's not going to need much to get it making bales. It is rusty, but it seems to work. We turned it through by hand and watched the action. It needs to have the pto shaft fixed, the guy's father bent it, then snapped it in half bending it back. I'm hoping I can find new tube and weld the old ends on. One needle has been brazed, though a good spare was included. It is a NH 65, that makes the small 12 x 16 bales. It doesn't dwarf my little tractor like my Massey 124 does.

Attachments

• NH 65.jpg
    NH 65.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 182
  • NH 65 w- 2810HST.jpg
    NH 65 w- 2810HST.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 180
  • NH 65 w- 2810HST -2.jpg
    NH 65 w- 2810HST -2.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 175

Archdean

Here is an old International that works well and worth it's weight in gold (OLD IS GOOD)

Thought you all would like to see how it used to be done back in my day!!

Was to late at night to get ole Granny ( My Farmall B 1940) into action by hauling the square bales!!

DianesCamera129Small.jpg
DianesCamera131Small.jpg

DianesCamera133Small.jpg

DianesCamera132Small.jpg

Looks like a good one find Torin. You want to see rusty. I'll have to post pics of my Allis Chalmers bailer.

If you take any of the teeth off would you post or pm me a pic of one. I can't find any that are a direct replacement for mine. I have to use some for a Vermeer, they aren't as wide as I need.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neato. Good find Torin. Good luck with it. Good pics Dean. I swear I could smell the hay you were baling there. :D :thumb: Kewl stuff.

Ductape

Maybe It Looks Bigger In The Pictures Than It Really Is..........

But I have to ask how you got it home ??

When does your hay cutting season start?

shvl73

If you take any of the teeth off would you post or pm me a pic of one. I can't find any that are a direct replacement for mine. I have to use some for a Vermeer, they aren't as wide as I need.
I haven't taken any off yet, though some do need replacing. I'll post when I do.
Looks sound Torin. Paint is over-rated anyway :D
Paint wont get the job done!:mrgreen:
But I have to ask how you got it home ??

When does your hay cutting season start?
My trailer was just wide enough. I'm glad I bought a deck-over.
I hope to cut mid june.

shvl73

I got around to working on it today.
I repaired the pto shaft and threw some hay through it. It knots well but, the bales are not square. I played with the tension settings and it got a bit better, then bad weather blew in. In my hurry to get it under cover, I dented my newly repaired pto shaft. :angry: I turned too sharp and the subframe mount on my tractor caught it.:pat:

shvl73

Just to update this, the old baler worked well today. I've got a small side field that I've been mowing around some trees for awhile. This spring I started cutting them down to access the grass. I've just got a small area done but, I cut late Thursday and today I got 42 bales out of it. It made nice bales after I finished adjusting the tension. Now, I realize 42 bales isn't 4,200 but, I'm still pleased. On my other field, I hope to get 300+ on first cut. part of it is leased from the Corps of Engineers with restriction from cutting prior to June 15th so, we'll see what the forcast is around then. I'm still a real small time hack at this but, every little success is encouraging.
I hope everyone had a nice weekend and spent some time reflecting on those sacrificed for our nation.

shvl73

Anyone else haying?
We've been really lucky weather-wise, alot of rain early on but, played "follow the leader" a bit. Others cut so I did as well and got 2 cuttings so far. Low lead due to older unworked areas, trying to correct that. Baled 100 or so Saturday. So far, I'm pleased.

Attachments

• 0815091805a.jpg
    0815091805a.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 149

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW, it sure is working good. Great to see old equipment put to use.
No baling for me. In the heat we've been having I glad I'm not baling.

irwin

Anyone else haying?
We've been really lucky weather-wise, alot of rain early on but, played "follow the leader" a bit. Others cut so I did as well and got 2 cuttings so far. Low lead due to older unworked areas, trying to correct that. Baled 100 or so Saturday. So far, I'm pleased.

Hey Torin, long time no see. I don't get over to this forum much, sure is good to see your familar name attached to a thread about resurecting a good farming implement. :beer:
That baler looks like it's turning out just fine. :tiphat: Good job.

shvl73

Hi Tim! :wave:
Good to hear from you! I hope you've been having a good summer. I've been working harder but enjoying it. I would never have imagined all that I have accomplished with that little tractor.