Where to Buy Slip Scraper or "Tumblebug"

DCox

I am going to be slowly adding implements that are needed. High on the list (due to some specific projects) is what used to be called a slip scraper or "tumblebug." Some of you probably remember John Deere selling these things in the mid-20th century. They would scrape and haul 1-1.5 yds of soil and then dump it where you wished.

The nearest thing I have seen is built by Hoelscher. They have something called the DB-4, but the problem is it runs ca. $4,000. But it is very nice: http://www.hoelscherinc.com/prod_dbscraper.htm

Orthman likewise makes one, but again, very expensive:
http://www.orthman.com/html603/indust_ro.htm

So also, Durabilt.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I could just find a used one or even one of the vintage John Deere slip scrapers for significantly less?

Thanks.

oldron

I think you want a Rollover Box Scraper,we used to call them tumblebugs.I think Woods has them.
Ron

DCox

I think you want a Rollover Box Scraper,we used to call them tumblebugs.I think Woods has them.
Ron

The rollerover box scraper is close, but still just drags dirt rather than loads and hauls. The old tumblebugs would fill it in a box or barrel.

I have been trying various equipment locators--I had not seen this one. 2 yds. might be pushing it with my tractor, but I will check it out.

trrjohn

Or build one yourself. I pull this with a 2WD John deere 420 with ag tires.

Attachments

• soilmover01.JPG
    soilmover01.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 86
  • soilmover02.JPG
    soilmover02.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 83
  • soilmover03.JPG
    soilmover03.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 82
  • soilmover04.JPG
    soilmover04.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 83

alltoys

trrjohn,

Do you have any drawings on how to build your scraper? I could use a unit like you have there.

alltoys

With a closer inspection of your pictures I believe I understand how it works, see if I am right.

3pt hitch lifts the scraper to unload the scraper and to dig into the earth.

Front box area stops scraper from digging and to hold earth in bucket.

Cable over top of scraper is tied to trip lever on rear to flip box forward to unload scraper.

Do you have to drive forward dragging the scraper for it to flip forward once it is loaded??

Is there a formula for the size of scraper to use for size of tractor??

trrjohn

Your operating description is pretty close. I am going to rebuild it to have a hydraulic dump rather than the latch.

This particular scraper holds about 10 cu ft and could be larger. I am in the process of building a second, improved version.

Erik

Once you get the design elements worked out, can you scale up to a 72" wide model? :D (maybe using Sketchup or similar free CAD-ish software)
Or is this something you're looking to begin building as a small $$ making project?

Erik

I'd done some searching and had not found anything under a 5 yard capacity. I'll keep looking.
thanks.

alltoys

Your operating description is pretty close. I am going to rebuild it to have a hydraulic dump rather than the latch.

This particular scraper holds about 10 cu ft and could be larger. I am in the process of building a second, improved version.

What would you improve on?