Big RED Beast Down

Bindian

Today while down in my pond digging, my 6520's fan belt pulley came apart.
eek.gif
I hope Mahindra has one in their Houston warehouse! I heard a ticking ealier, but couldn't fit the noise, even with putting a screw driver to the hyd. pump and alternator and the handle to my ear. I even shut her down and felt belt tension.
confused.gif
Everything was fine, until the ticking stopped and my battery light came on, followed by the over temp light. I had enough time to stow the backhoe and limp back to the barn. This was at twilight this evening.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 1-12-09 Fan drive pulley.jpg
    1-12-09 Fan drive pulley.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 35

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hope it didn't damage anything else!

I had a harmonic balancer separate on my truck a few years ago. Part of it went through the radiator :pat:

Bindian

Jim,
I saw a very fine nick on the upper radiator hose, but couldn't feel it through the surgical gloves. That is all I could see. I got the pulley off and the belt out of the way and cranked her back up. The Pump is still working, or I wouldn't have been able to stow the backhoe, get back to the barn, and raise the loader to full height.
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

I got her running at 3 pm. Had to go to Mahindra in Houston to pick up the part. The parts guy said I am famous around there. He said he reads my blog. I said that makes two people. hehe The pulley came with a splined hub. The 4 new bolts were 1/4 inch shorter than the ones in it. The old ones seemed to be a tad long and could have rubbed into the gearbox cover. I will show Top Flight's service manager this when he gets back from a few days off to get my warranty. I took photos of the new shorter bolts installed. I will ask for some 1/8 inch longer to replaced the new bolts . The hub flange is about 5/16th inch thick and the new bolts go about half way through the threads. Anyway, another reason to live in Texas.......two hours there and back and I had the part. Total time down....................21 hours! No bad. The part cost me $81.58 . The new fan belt, which I really didn't need now, was $28.35. The fan belt only had a small nick in it, so I used it.
hugs, Brandi

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Way to go Brandi. :thumb: Less than 24 hours downtime is an accomplishment in itself. :D
I don't blame you for wanting to replace those short bolts. Threads only half way in are sure to cause you problems down the road.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
The parts guy said I am famous around there. He said he reads my blog. I said that makes two people. Brandi

Brandi, have you ever posted a link here at NTT to your blog? I know I read some of it a long time ago. If you haven't, please do. I'm sure Our members would love to read it.

Bindian

Way to go Brandi. :thumb: Less than 24 hours downtime is an accomplishment in itself. :D
I don't blame you for wanting to replace those short bolts. Threads only half way in are sure to cause you problems down the road.
Thanks Doc!:wave:
hugs, Brandi