starter removal

When I try to start the tractor the starter just clicks.I attached a cable and ground bypassed ignition and again it just clicks.I am trying to remove this jd 4200 starter motor.There is a bolt inside ,hard to reach.Any ideas?

jd110

Use a long extension and a swivel socket. Are you sure the starter is bad? Battery cable failure is common on these tractors.

20/20

9 times out of 10 these issues can be solved by checking and cleaning wires and connections. A lot of times it's a ground which most folks over look.

I tested it as stated and did have a problem with the cable before so wires and connections were the 1st thing I checked....anyway I got to the bolt by removing the old stater housing and was able to reach the bolt in the back. The diagram only showed two blots thanks

well I got the starter rebuilt and replaced the starter relay&key switch shows ignition active .checked the fuses& and ground cable still no crank,battery voltage 12v,what the...

jd110

What does the voltage read at starter post when you try to crank? Is the starter still clicking? I am still betting on a bad battery cable.

I am getting a steady bleep at start post and considering replacing fusible link.Starter not even clicking.I checked the negative battery cable at a dealer. They said these rarely fail but I had it replaced when I had starting problems b 4 about 3yrs ago.I see no breaks and cleaned both end connections&replaced cable connection to battery ,tightened ...it

I did change the neg.battery cable and the fusible link..I then got a click from the starter but no crank.Next time all I get from the switch is a buzzing sound in the fuse box.I have checked all the fuses.I guess dealer here I come...

put in recharged battery now getting strong clicks from starter,no crank hey that's what I had before I did all this.round and round we go..

well tractor now starts but---will not move in any gear,did all the trans fluid leak out over down period 6 months? can see no dripping,where did it go?added 5 gal.of hydro fluid still dead in the water.hydro pump sounds like it is working

well removed starter again to get suction hose TRANSMISSION SUCTION LINE AND IMPLEMENT PUMP LINE reattached,real pain getting starter back ,problem is this suction hose line is rigid pipe will not move to space in front of starter because starter leaves no space at front ,of course in the diagram there is plenty of room,yea right.