Front Case oil change

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, today was the day. I jacked up the front end on the 2011 RTV 900xt and started the dreaded job... Changing the oil is pretty easy but getting the front tires back on - baa humm bug .... the oem tires have very deep lug insets. True , the knuckle cases can be changed with the tires on , but I needed to give a good cleaning and fluid film coating to the area and wanted to check for any problems.
I washed the areas and after it was dry I started..... I learned back in the old days of the first RTV ( 2005) to make sure all of the dried mud was removed from around the drain plug and make sure the area around the top of the center case was nice and clean too.. If any debris is near there, it will fall just as soon as you get ready to pour the oil in..
I also couldn't find my homemade funnel extension so made another see picture. It is so easy to fill the center case with it ! Just premeasure your oil and make sure that the extension hose will go into the threaded filler hole - see picture.. So easy !! I cut off a piece of never used plastic hose from a coil of landscape water line I had laying around- it worked fine and is flexible too.
I finally got the tires started back on, by sticking paper in the shallow socket and turning the lug bolts by hand with an extension to start the threads. (too tight for fingers to hold the bolts..) bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0017.jpg
    KIMG0017.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0020.jpg
    KIMG0020.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0023.jpg
    KIMG0023.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0021.jpg
    KIMG0021.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 91
  • KIMG0019.jpg
    KIMG0019.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Judy, you leave the rest of us saying to ourselves, "I really do need to get out there and at least check the engine oil level".......Good job and thanks for some of the "tricks".......God bless....Dennis