rear diff R&R

hotshoex

I am the new guy on the block. Hello to all.
My troubleshoot, if correct tells me rear diff is broken. I am looking at pdf manual and wondering if trans removal is necessary. Looks like the diff would come out the right side behind the axle.
Can anyone tell me if I am in left field, struck out or headed to home plate?

hotshoex

Thanks for the wake up call King.....sorry. 2006 to the best of my knowledge. Ser. 65730 PID RTV 900 A 61065730 Mod. RTV 900 R6H.

hotshoex

Pulls only in 4wd. from the front. When jacked up turn one wheel the other will not move. Hubs, axles, u joints all good. Went out suddenly. I was not there so only know what I was told about use at that moment.
Would be very happy to hear any suggestions or questions.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think some one on here had a problem like that and it came down to the splines being messed up on the rear. since you say the u joints are good.. or something like that. If it were me, I would check the splines next. collie

hotshoex

I guess you are talking about the spline at the hub where the wheel mounts. Thanks but that stuff is good and working. Actually that has all been removed. I am looking at the inboard side of the u joint and deciding if I should drop the trans or go in through the round cover there.
I need the help of someone that has been in the trans of an rtv 900. Thanks again
Will wait to see if I get lucky or steared in another direction.

Mark.Sibole

I was thinking inboard splines may be stripped.You can check them by dropping the rear end and removing the 3 screws holding the alle in.If they are good then it is more in the trans.Ive never dropped the trans on mine so i cant help there.Most dealers if they are any good will give you info over the phone or if you drop in in person they will help you and even print off a few things for you to go by.At least my dealer will.

Mark.Sibole

1 way to check if the differential is good or bad is to jack up the rear end and see if when you rotate the tires one should spin forward and the other in reverse.If this dosnt happen yes there is a serious gear and pinion issue.

hotshoex

Thanks Mark Inboard spline was my next guess. Hope that is the problem. If not next will be engine and trans out as a unit then into the transmission. I believe it is the bevel gears. That is what kubota calls them. I have always heard them called spider gears.
Whatever it is will reveal itself next week because it is coming apart..

rharrington1988

Thanks Dennis. That's what I was hoping someone would tell me they would do so I wasn't crazy. Any tips for shutting it off if it stuck on again. Last question.. Any idea how much it would cost to fix head or a rod