I'm an idiot

RealtreeRTV

I believe its a black plastic round cap that doubles as a vent also. It's just to the rear and close to the trans dipstick.

Treehouse

Site Supporter
I agree with the drain, refill, pray and crank her over advice. Mostly whatever's done is done. It's possible that when you overfilled the oil some of it blew by and into the cylinder and what you experienced was 'runaway diesel' and this is why it wouldn't shut off despite turning off the ignition. You'll know a lot after the first crank. If she fires up and runs true you dodged a bullet. If she won't crank or fires up and knocks stop, do not pass go and take her straight to the doctors office!

Good luck! We all done dumb things, many of us havedone the same ones more than twice. All you can do is dust yourself off and keep rolling on.

rharrington1988

To make sure I'm not a complete idiot, I filled oil in right spot at least? Black twist cap that says oil right on head cover under dump bed? ;)

RealtreeRTV

Engine oil is filled through valve cover cap on motor.

Trans oil is filled through round cap on transmission towards rear of machine.

If you are not sure don't be in a hurry. I wish I had some pictures to post for you.
Maybe you can access a manual on line.

I'll check in on this thread in the morning.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
To make sure I'm not a complete idiot, I filled oil in right spot at least? Black twist cap that says oil right on head cover under dump bed? ;)

And when you pull out that dipstick right there by the engine you see the oil level where???..............NOT wayyyyy above the marks on the dipstick????

Do the same on the transmission dipstick which is on top of the engine/transmission but back towards the rear.........

DO CHECK BOTH BEFORE YOU TRY TO START!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless.........Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Only things I can add at this point:
Check the oil in your other machines. This burp may have distracted you from doing the other engines properly.
You didn't say what engines you were doing in your assembly line but remember that diesel engine oil is different than gas engine oil. Make sure you have the right type in the engine.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, It sounds to me like you drained the transmission and not the engine. The engine plug is centered vertically and fully exposed -close to the engine fan .That would account for it being black oil still in there. After you get that right, Also, Don't drive it till you check and/ or add transmission fluid if indicated. If you have the hydraulic lift , You will need to use float position ( lever all the way down hard) to lift it without cranking.

rharrington1988

I found one oil drain plug. It sits inbetween two skid plates and is at the back of the motor. It's draining SUPER slow. Do you think there is more than one?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, there is only ONE drain plug.

By now it should be finished..........If not, take off the cap where you pour oil in up on top of the engine. You are pulling against a vacuum and it will be slow. How much came out???
You haven't drained it since so much was put in????? You did put the oil into the cap up on top of the engine didn't you????? What came out is black??? Actually if you put in that much extra oil, the stuff you are draining could actually be goldish with some black........

Without looking back at the whole thread, you did put in all that extra oil into the engine didn't you???.............NOT THE TRANSMISSION?????

rharrington1988

Yep I put in the cap and the cap was on. It did speed up slightly when I took it off. It's about done now. Down to a slight drip. I am going to leave it drip overnight. It also may have been slow because it broke down outside and it's about 20 degrees out already.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Perhaps these will help. The RTV1100 2008 and older Rtv 900 (pre 2013) are much the same.

Engine oil drain is simply in the engine oil pan. But the transmission drain is harder to find because of the size of the damm thing. haha

Hope these help, pictures say more than words.

Attachments

• RTV1100 2008 Engine Oil Inlet.jpg
    RTV1100 2008 Engine Oil Inlet.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 66
  • RTV1100 2008 Transmission Drain 2.jpg
    RTV1100 2008 Transmission Drain 2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 66
  • RTV1100 2008 Transmission Drain.jpg
    RTV1100 2008 Transmission Drain.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 66
  • RTV1100 2008 Transmission Oil Inlet.jpg
    RTV1100 2008 Transmission Oil Inlet.jpg