RTV 900 Consol

razerface

hey guys,,, i buy steel and alumn every day for my waterjet cutting business. Go to a supplier and ask for a "drop" in the thickness you need.

When the supplier gets a sheet of .125 thk for instance,, it may come in over 200 inches wide and however long that supplier can handle and get shipped.

As the supplier gets orders, they cut the sheet up and sell pieces of it. There are always small pieces left over. Those are called "drops". Since they do not want to wait on someone who wants that exact size,,,they will sell the drop cheaper to get rid of it. They usually do this by not adding the cutting charge that the previous customers had to pay. You can get this type of material up to 50% cheaper if they have it. Usually a drop will be bigger since they use your dimensions as the minimum needed. The disadvantage is,,the drop may have scratches from being handled from cutting the previous customers parts or being stored on the shelf.

Example,,,you need a 24 x 40. They may have a 28 x 52 that they will sell you cheaper! Always ask for a drop!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More good info. Thanks!!!! :tiphat:

What kind of business usually supply steel and aluminum? IOW what would they be in in the yellow pages "Industrial Supply" maybe?

razerface

More good info. Thanks!!!! :tiphat:

What kind of business usually supply steel and aluminum? IOW what would they be in in the yellow pages "Industrial Supply" maybe?

never looked there,,but maybe.
Tristate Alum, Benjamin Steel, Clinton Alum, Alro, Remington Steel, Cincinnati Steel, Chapel Steel, Copper and Brass Inc,,,, there are many in Ohio.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Razer!!!!
I'm not close to any of those but I do get out once in awhile. I suppose they would ship the small size I'd be after. I'm a couple hours from Huntington WV and they have lots of the Tri State stuff. I know I've heard of Tri State Aluminum before.

Ask me where to get about any computer part and I probably know. This kind of stuff is way out of my area of expertise for sure., so I need all the help I can get. thanks for answering my lame brain questions. :thumb: :tiphat:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Awesome Graphic except for those silly letters in the eyes.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHhhhhhh Doc,
They are special letters down here >>>>

Everything goes with them letters.

Even our Potato Chips.

Down here, we have Tiger Tators !!!!!

Attachments

• Tiger Taters.jpg
    Tiger Taters.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 52