What did you do today with your RTV?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought a thread like this might be fun. And show what all these little monsters can do, or what fun we have with them.

I'm a new owner of an 06 RTV900 and I finally got to take in out on my back 40. I have hills, lots of hills so I was concerned and didn't even want to try a trip to my river dock until I had extra time just in case I got stuck. So, guess what? I got stuck. :yum:

I was in M(edium) gear 2wd and went through this big ole mud puddle / lake that is on my oil rig road. I lost momentum and was just pushing mud, so I switched to low w/ 4wd. Nope, still stuck. Went to reverse and backed up till I was stuck that direction also. (note: the mud puddle / pond is about twice the length of the RTV) so I'm still stuck in the puddle. I could see the huge rut I had made and why I was stuck going forward. So I cranked the wheel sharp to the right and gave her hell. She pulled us right on out of that nasty mud puddle. Whew. :D

I stayed in low 4wd the rest of the way and had no issues. Made it to the river and back. I still feel more comfortable on my trails on our ATV, but the RTV did a fine job of getting everyplace I tried to go. Even though I hit quite a few branches / multi flora and stuff of that nature the poor mans windshield that I put on stayed in place just fine. No tears or anything. Overall a nice ride, now I'm ready to haul some rock down to my river bank.

I do have a pic of my wheels with much of the mud still on them. I was buried up near the top of the front wheel at one point. Had to spend 30 minutes or so just spraying all the mud off the RTV. Didn't want all that mud and guck to dry on there.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Today, I haven't used it. Yesterday I used it to haul all the Christmas decorations from the house out to the building to put away. Everything was a muddy mess due to snow melting so I had to keep the RTV on the hard surfaces.

Doc - What tires are you running?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
26 in Swamp witch tires. Pretty aggressive tread. They earned their keep when I was in that mud hole. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is a pic of mine with some of the mud still on it. I had drove it a ways after the mud hole so some of the mud fell off. Windshield looks to have lines in it. I did not notice those when driving. Maybe hitting it with a hair dryer again will tighten it up.
And check out my new mirrors. :D Mud flaps for the front on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_3688.jpg
    IMG_3688.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 667

cpsseals

Today, after clearing snow, I moved some round bails to the back of our forest for the deer, moose and elk. Been snowing a lot and the critters are having a little more of a difficult time this year. The 1100 pulls the load very well!

Mark.Sibole

Pushed mine in the garage yesterday.With temps 0 to 5 degrees during the day and 5 to 10 below at night and even with additives the damn diesel gelled on me.Trying to thaw it out and re liquify the diesel.Damn its cold out there

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mark - Why was it outside in the first place? Y'all don't leave your RTV's outside, do you?

Mark.Sibole

It was under the roof for the wood house.I havnt cleaned the garage to make room for it this season due to to many projects going on in there .I have been putting it the the unheated wood house to keep the snow and sleet off of it but may have to do a major cleaning now to put it in there on them very cold nights.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I worked on the fence part of the day .- Pulling pieces of the dead tree out of the way and then. I pounded in the T posts that the RTV hauls around for me. I carry about everything I need in the cargo bed After that , I used it to carry buckets to feed a few of our "on the mend" cows. I love that rtv. Mark,Doc, Zoom,CP and Muleman I feel bad for you with all that cold weather. It was near 60 here today and after several days of sun , a lot less mud. Wish I could send our Northern members our today's temperature.. bordercollie

Attachments

• 0123131204.jpg
    0123131204.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 613

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, I had a fun one with the RTV today. It came with a mental pucker-factor.

Yea, it's cold. I'm now running both wood stoves. So, I had to get another trailer load of firewood.

Fire up the RTV, strap on the trailer and head to the woodshed. Have I ever mentioned there's a creek I need to cross to get to the shed? I pull within 20' of the creek and eyeball the ice that's now on the surface. I hear the water under the ice so I know it's ice on top then air then water below. OK, I'm going to bust through the ice but need to keep momentum so I don't go belly-up. Drop it in 4WD and floor it (low range since I need to go down a bank then climb the other side). Huge cracking sounds everywhere but the RTV and trailer don't bust through and ride on top. I look back and although ice is still intact, it's cracked everywhere. How the hell am I going to get back???

OK, I load the trailer. Probably have 1000 pounds in tow. I really don't expect this ice to last with 3000#'s across the cracked ice. Low range, 4WD and I floor it. What a ride! The whole ice didn't collapse but individual tires dropped in and climbed out over and over. I'm bouncing all over the place. Trailer is bouncing even worse (since it's falling in the ruts from the RTV) and wood is flying out. I'll be damned. I MADE IT! I surely thought I was going belly up and would need the tractor to drag me out.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I walked past mine in the barn and fed the chickens. No way I would take it out in these temps. -2 right now and a wicked hoar frost on things like the heated water bowl on the back porch. Boiler needed wood about 5 am and I did not go out till 8. Hot tub in the basement was nicer than going out in the cold.:clap:

Mark.Sibole

LOL Muleman them are the best days to go riding when its below zero.You dont have to worry about the RTV over heating during them heavy chores lol

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang Brian. Sounds like fun. :D Glad you made it.

I did much like Muley. I walked past the RTV, said hi and got in the car and headed to work. I sure won't be taking it out in this weather. It for sure would not overheat but I would surely freeze!!! Brrrrrrrrr

razerface

I used mine to keep warm in between loading trucks with firewood. The dog used the other side of the seat. She didn't help load any wood either,,,,,,,

Kanook

22 below last night and it has warmed up to 5 below at 2 pm. Block heater ain't working and the diesel fuel in the tank is probably the consistancy of 90 gear oil..Ain't even going to attempt to start it up.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My RTV has been spoiled the last couple days. I turned on the heater in the shop to keep liquids from freezing. The RTV has a spot in the same shop. The shop is only heated to about 40 degrees.

Kanook

Plenty warm in my shop provided by the air tight stove...unfortunately the RTV
is outside.

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 549