ts115 - dash lights won't turn off

rustbucket

JM+JA

Good morning.

I am having electrical problems with my New Holland ts115. Often the dash lights (and sometimes headlights, taillights, and turn signals) do not turn off, even when I have switched off the headlight switch and the ignition. I've tried every fuse that I could find, and none seem to control the dash lights.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
sounds like switch might not be making contact or breaking contact to turn off. Can you take the switch out fairly easily? Was going to tell you to look for a fuse but I guess you tried that. If all else fails and she's going to sit a bit disconnect the battery.

rustbucket

Thank you for the reply, Doc. I probably should have gone into more detail about the problem. The lights that stay on are not consistent. They sometimes stay on, sometimes are off, and sometimes flicker. They include the high-beam headlights, taillights, and turn signals (and their corresponding lights on the dash). They also include the following dash lights (parking brake, low battery light, LCD speedometer display, various other dash lights, and the light the illuminates the gauges.) Often the left turn signal stays on but does not flash. When I move the stalk to the left turn signal position, sometimes the parking brake light flashes. Not all of these lights are controlled by the headlight switch (e.g. the parking brake light, the LCD speedometer), so I'm unsure if that is the problem. And, sometimes, I start the tractor and have no problems with lights. Several dash lights, such as the rabbit/turtle lights, and the diesel heating light, continue to work as normal, and the tractor runs as normal otherwise. To keep it from draining the battery, I disconnect the battery almost every time I use it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like the ground wire to the instrument cluster is loose or corroded.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like the ground wire to the instrument cluster is loose or corroded.
I'll 2nd what BC guessed.
Bad part about that if it is the root cause is they are the hardest to track down, and even harder when they are sporadic. What a pain it would be to disconnect the battery each time. Hate to say it but it might be something your dealer has the tool to diagnose and have her fixed in short order ....but it'll cost ya. Good luck. Please post the solution once you find one.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A battery cut off might be a nice thing to have.. They are also good for protecting the electronics when charging or boosting a battery. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ut+off+switch&sprefix=battery+cut+off,aps,209

edit: We fried our Trailblazer welder when we boosted off the dead battery...1000$ for a new computer board....They don't tell you to not boost it off..school of hard knocks...

also if one lignt or taillight is dim, that is a good indicator of a bad ground, in my experience anyways.