Rtv500 Stuck in Neutral

Hatchur

Hi All, I’ve got an RTV500 that is stuck in N. I cannot move the shifter into R or D. 4wd and lock shifters work fine. It was really hard to get into gear last time I used it but now it is “stuck” in N. No grinding. It has about 80 hrs and is used fairly lightly. Any thoughts?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Haven't been in a 500 in years. Have you checked the linkages for binding? It may be a 2 person job. One to move the shifter, the other to check for linkage movements from the shifter itself all the way to the tranny.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
With my 06 RTV900 putting the brake on seemed to help when it would not go into gear ...or sometimes rolling a little bit forward as I put it in gear would help.

Hatchur

I’ve pushed it around and not been able to get it into gear. It was hard to get into gear The last time it was running but once it was moving, I was able to move it freely into any gear. I parked it then started it and...STUCK. The tranny shifter does not move....should it?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes. I think it should. Sure sounds like bent linkage that has progressively gotten worse.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So this small model doesn't have a shifting fork? I've never seen a 500.
I'd look at the area where the dash shifter goes into a pipe type bushing and down to the cables. My 900 was about frozen up but always worked. When I got ready to sell it, I took out the pins, removed the inner rod from the pipe like bushing and cleaned an sanded it, greased. It was corroded and just nasty, should have had a grease fitting.Anyways, then it shifted as smooth as silk.

link to my shifting problem : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17948
Hope that is all it is, Good luck . bordercollie

Hatchur

The shifter is held in place by sitting on a rod. I will inspect that connection as per Doc.
The cable runs from the shifter in through the firewall, through the cab, through the engine compartment all the way to the shifter which is attached directly into the transmission. Unlike the 900, I cannot just pop it open and adjust the forks if that’s the trouble...too bad. I will inspect the cable Aurthuritis ( thank you for the pic too ). I would like to detach the cable from the shifter, is it under pressure? If I do so will I be able to reattach without special tools?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The shifter is held in place by sitting on a rod. I will inspect that connection as per Doc.
The cable runs from the shifter in through the firewall, through the cab, through the engine compartment all the way to the shifter which is attached directly into the transmission. Unlike the 900, I cannot just pop it open and adjust the forks if that’s the trouble...too bad. I will inspect the cable Aurthuritis ( thank you for the pic too ). I would like to detach the cable from the shifter, is it under pressure? If I do so will I be able to reattach without special tools?

yes i think it would be good to detach the cable from the shifter. that way you can see if the cable is free or if the trouble is internal to the transmission.

Hatchur

OMG! I sprayed a lot of Liquid Wrench on the rod behind the dash that the 3 shifters (4wd, lock, and D/L/R) are mounted on. I worked the other 2 shifters and......tada she went into R and gear easily.. I’m blown away that it could be that “stuck”. It’s been driven easily with less than 100 hrs. Fingers crossed! Thank you for all your support.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when you get some time spray it down with fluid film and work it in real good. you won't ever have problems again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wonderful, thats what I thought too when my shifter started gliding like a hot knife thru butter after the cleaning and greasing. You may need to put some more permanent grease in wherever it will go later on . I've seen liquid grease in a spray can also. but did disassemble mine and grease it as per the link in my first response. anyways Yaay !! bordercollie

edit. agree with Aurthuritis that the fluid film is good stuff.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The WD40 folks make an aerosol “WD40-GEL” that is very persistent and doesn’t evaporate. I’ve used it where a good quality light-grease is needed and it’s good stuff.