KUBOTA RTV-900 hydraulic fluid ??

BBOB662

I bought new in 2010 a KUBOTA RTV-900 which, I'm told, requires a multi-viscosity hydraulic oil. I need to replace the hydraulic transmission drive fluid. What is equivalent to the KUBOTA SUPER UTD2?
Contacted Valvoline and they say they DO NOT make a hydraulic oil that equal or exceeds the KUBOTA SUPER UTD2?
THANKS.

Super UDT

Be Smart,

Use the Kubota Oil. It is more expensive but is made specifically for this application. Nothing else works as well.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kubota fluid is the best for the transmission. It has antifoaming additives and the SUDT2 is synthetic so I stretch the change times. Good stuff, I had a whine when I tried aftermarket and quickly got it out of there. It's not worth it to me to use the lesser as much as a transmission would cost to replace. I have over 6,500 hours of seat time between my machines and no problems there. collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Once again Bordercollie says it SO WELL.... ...... God bless......Dennis

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have had the same dilemma with my Kubota B7800 and my RTV X900. I decided to go with the Kubota UDT and I have not had any problems - and I have 1700 hours on the B7800 (2003) and 300 on the RTV. I found our local dealer had a reasonable price. The cost hurts a bit at the time, but I feel it is actually cheap insurance.

Mark.Sibole

Look at it as an insurance policy to be sure your machine stays in top condition.For the money you paid for it why skimp on fluids???

BBOB662

Just got off phone with service guy @ Kubota dealership who tells me that in the shop they use "XTREME UNIVERSAL HEAVY DUTY TRACTOR HYDRAULIC & TRANSMISSION FLUID" which is 10W-30 when servicing RTV's
Checked it out and the bucket list " KUBOTA UDT" as one of its replacement fluids. ($37.00 for 5 gal.)
Looked some more and found "SYNGARD ™ PREMIUM FULL SYNTHETIC TRACTOR HYDRAULIC AND TRANSMISSION FLUID " as well as "AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil SAE 5W-30" and "Orscheln
Universal Heavy Duty Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid " ALL are listed as replacements for UDT, which was priced to me @ $108.50 for 5 gal.

urednecku

Local 'Bota dealer once sold me a bucket of a different brand hydro oil, (same brand sold by bulk fuel dealer so not an 'economy' brand), & said it was the same thing, only cheaper. Funny thing, after putting it in my M7040 when changing the filters, the FEL is slower and does NOT have as much lifting power. Next change I'll be spending more money to get the performance back that I know the tractor is capable of.
Yea, it's several $$$ cheaper, but in the end I do NOT think it is less expensive.

Bottom line, the "dollar store" sells "diesel motor oil" for less than the name brand, but I am not gonna put it in my tractor unless it is an emergency.
But apparently some people do, because they still sell it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That same thing happened to me, urednecku -my K dealer sold the el cheapo to me. Yep, I got it out fast as I could. It actually cost me more than oem in the end, because to be completely rid of it, I changed the filters again. It was that (UN) impressive ,performance wise.
Everyone has their opinion on using what they want in their machines. This is my experience.
collie

ovrszd

When new my M9540 had a squeal in the power steering when first cranked in cold conditions. Would continue for 30 seconds or more. At 500hrs I changed all the fluids and upgraded to SUDT2. The squeal went away. It also shifts easier and the hydraulic shuttle works smoother. No going back for me.

BBOB662

The more I research the more compatible fluids there are. Some are synthetics and some are blends you must check them out closely. I have 1350 hours on my RTV-900 and have never had an issue, nor have I ever serviced it with Kubota brand fluids.
SYNGARD Hydraulic Fluid, J20D Synthetic 5W-20 is a good fully synthetic.

ovrszd

The more I research the more compatible fluids there are. Some are synthetics and some are blends you must check them out closely. I have 1350 hours on my RTV-900 and have never had an issue, nor have I ever serviced it with Kubota brand fluids.
SYNGARD Hydraulic Fluid, J20D Synthetic 5W-20 is a good fully synthetic.

I agree. There are oils just as good as Kubota's brand. After all, Kubota doesn't make theirs. I think you can get excellent results with other brands. But you better be savvy in reading the labels to ensure you are getting a comparable product.

When I changed my M9540 I researched a couple brands. In the end the Kubota oil was comparably priced. Knew what I was getting there so that's what I did.

If you find an oil that equally compares and is cheaper, go for it. If the price difference is negligible, why not just use Kubota brand?? :)

BBOB662

Agreed. I've been on phone today & via e-mail with tech dept of a big oil products in southeast US, they mfg products for several big retailers; some using their own label. I'm learning more than really wanted to know, but it's interesting.

urednecku

I'm sure oil is like almost anything else....like orange juice. Working in that industry (in one way or another all my life) it is a fact that no matter the brand, if it is "Orange Juice from Florida---no matter the brand on the label-- it came from the same tree in the same grove, juiced in the same machine & went in the same tank. The difference is in the way it is blended. One company wants more sugar content, the next wants a different citric acid ratio, anther wants pulp the next does not.
I'm sure you could find an oil that is blended with all the same ratios of the same additives as the UDT oils. But to me, the time I would spend to find and verify that oil would be better spent doing something else. OK, so I could save $30 on a bucket, it takes me 5 hours to find the oil that would save the $30....I was paid $6.00 an hour for that time. I'd rather spend that time with my family, or just relaxing.

But, that's what makes the world turn. What works for me won't work for everybody.

ovrszd

I'm sure oil is like almost anything else....like orange juice. Working in that industry (in one way or another all my life) it is a fact that no matter the brand, if it is "Orange Juice from Florida---no matter the brand on the label-- it came from the same tree in the same grove, juiced in the same machine & went in the same tank. The difference is in the way it is blended. One company wants more sugar content, the next wants a different citric acid ratio, anther wants pulp the next does not.
I'm sure you could find an oil that is blended with all the same ratios of the same additives as the UDT oils. But to me, the time I would spend to find and verify that oil would be better spent doing something else. OK, so I could save $30 on a bucket, it takes me 5 hours to find the oil that would save the $30....I was paid $6.00 an hour for that time. I'd rather spend that time with my family, or just relaxing.

But, that's what makes the world turn. What works for me won't work for everybody.

Well stated. And then add in the mental part of trying to figure out what they "blended in".

Sorry for the hijack but I gotta tell a funny story about Oranges, especially since Mr Redneck is familiar with them.

I was Deployed for Desert Storm. Staying in a Staging Camp in Saudi Arabia waiting for it to happen. In a Tent City with 15,000 Soldiers living in tents, standing in line to Poo, take showers and eat. One night at evening meal time I noticed they had Oranges. I grabbed 3. Later I peeled one and with great anticipation took the first slice......... They were pulp oranges. The first few seconds in your mouth things were great. Then you begin to notice you couldn't chew it down for swallowing. It just got dry and bigger as the juice disappeared. So I adapted. Take a slice, chew it until the juice is gone, spit out the pulp. Pretty sure they were the best Oranges I've ever eaten/chewed. :)

urednecku

Well stated. And then add in the mental part of trying to figure out what they "blended in".

Sorry for the hijack but I gotta tell a funny story about Oranges, especially since Mr Redneck is familiar with them.

I was Deployed for Desert Storm. Staying in a Staging Camp in Saudi Arabia waiting for it to happen. In a Tent City with 15,000 Soldiers living in tents, standing in line to Poo, take showers and eat. One night at evening meal time I noticed they had Oranges. I grabbed 3. Later I peeled one and with great anticipation took the first slice......... They were pulp oranges. The first few seconds in your mouth things were great. Then you begin to notice you couldn't chew it down for swallowing. It just got dry and bigger as the juice disappeared. So I adapted. Take a slice, chew it until the juice is gone, spit out the pulp. Pretty sure they were the best Oranges I've ever eaten/chewed. :)

First off, I want to say "THANK YOU" for your service! :thankyou2:

2nd, them oranges musta come from California being all dry..... :whistling: