new starter for RTV 1100CW

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my 2007s RTV 1100 needs to have the contacts replaced in the starter. i priced a new OEM for 800 DOLLARS!!!! are you kidding me :bonk:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just ordered a set of contacts and a plunger for the solenoid. supposed to have 40% more contact area than OEM. we shall see??? the cheapest fix was just a set of contacts only for 1.85 and on upto a full kit including orings gaskets and plungers for around 40 dollar. i figured the ring on the plunger to be pitted so i opted for a new plunger too. if i think the old plunger can be resurfaced i will clean it up and get just a set of contacts and have a spare kit.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea i know and you are correct. but i have a perfectly good denso starter that obviously retails for 800 bucks and all it needs is new contacts for less than 2 dollars. this is a common denso issue and has been known in the Land Cruiser world for ages. the starters last forever but require an occasional set of contacts. the Chinese knockoffs on the other hand> are cheaper.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I own a Kubota M4700 tractor and when its alternator (built in regulator) died Kubota wanted many hundred$ of dollar$ for a replacement.
I bought one on Ebay for $69 and it came with excellent documentation and complete testing-data/results in 3 days with free shipping. (Shipped out of Dallas in fact.)
It has worked PERFECTLY and is IDENTICAL in every way to the OEM (Denso).

One thing the Chinese are very good at: COPYING. It is an EXACT copy and does the job.
(Also found an internal regulator by googling the Kubota PN for the regulator. Got one off Ebay for $16. Took about one beer to install, so now I have a spare alternator.)

Edit: Local alternator shop wanted $180 to replace that regulator and Kubota wanted $116 for the part.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
as a follow up. i replaced the contacts and plunger in the starter on my 07 1100. totally fixed and no more click click click no start. i purchased the parts from Larry B's on the inet. i used his because the folks at cummins highly recommend them. they are much thicker and have a larger contact surface than OEM. the old contacts were burned and scored as was the ring on the plunger. took about an hour to remove the starter and repair then reinstall the starter.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's great Arthuritis. Doing the job yourself you know it done right and you saved a bucket of money too. This will be helpful for members facing the same thing. Larry B's on the internet will go in my book for starter parts. I imagine they have parts for all sorts of starters. :) Thanks again ! collie