Adjusting idle speed

Chandler

I just ran across this thread and was wondering how your RTV's idled last winter during the cold weather after being turned down. I am considering turning mine down.I appreciate your feedback.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Brian Bolger"]</p>

Does anyone know what the factory specs are for the idle rpm?</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

I don't know if there's any factory specs for the idle. In general and for most diesels, 650 or so seems to be a good number.</p>

On tractors and such, In the winter, after a few seconds of warm-up, I normally set it to about 1000 RPM's until warm enough for smooth operation (mainly in the hydraulics). On the RTV, it doesn't seem to need a warm-up period.</p>

</p>

solitude

Just looking at my 1100.It doesn't look quite the same pump.Doesanybody have any idle adjustment info on the 1100?
Thanx
</p>

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
While this thread discusses reducing idle... I found my lightly-used '15 X900 idled too slowly IMO as I didn't care for the level of vibration from those 3 cyls …. so I increased my idle to the point of smoothing out. Only slight difference in engine noise but a HUGE difference in vibration throughout the machine (ROPS/Canopy/Windshield/steering-wheel) and I suspect some previous-owner tried to reduce it in a dream of sounding like a big-diesel-operator.

Slow idle (below factory specs) is NOT GOOD for engine upper/cylinder lubrication which is starved from lack of "splash" and "crankshaft-sling" especially during longer idle periods.

Anyway, the slight increase in idle RPM resulted in a much smoother machine for me, with no difference is actual performance or ablity to smoothly begin movement, and certainly increased responsiveness during hard-acceleration. It probably helps cooling and charging systems also.

valiant8086

Has anyone done this with RTVX1120d? Ours idles at like 1200 rpm. Would love to settle that down a bit if we can keep it from vibrating. Assume the pump is different for this as someone above mentioned the RTVX1100 is.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
raise up the bed with the engine off and fiddle with the pump control lever. you will notice a low idle set screw and a high idle set screw. loosen the low idle screw and start the engine to see if you like it. there is a small cable attached that may need loosening also but beware that mal adjustment of this cable will interfere with the transmission timing to the foot feed

hondajoe

ldle speed

Well I have mine about 1800-2000 seems like the sweet spot.It don't rattle it don't fight to run and it works well for me.JOE