DK40se fuel tank ate my gas can spout.

RedAnt

OK, so everyone hates this stupid no-spill gas can spouts.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/bro...4,39383.html?gclid=CP2ygaywmboCFQ6f4AodrUwAlg

HM-FGCSPOUT.JPG

I hate them a little more after this weekend. I was getting low enough on fuel and decided to empty my two 5 gal jugs into the Dk40se. It takes a few minutes glug out the fuel through my new diesel canisters no-spill spouts.

The one from TSC works a little better than the one pictured above. After the first 5 gallons went in I started on the second (pictured above). After a gallon or so it slipped off, as usual, but this time it shot the entire red section into my Kioti gas tank. What was left attached to the gas canister was just a white tube. So I cap, red spout, rubber gasket plug and I assume a spring went into the gas tank.

My first hope was that it floats, so I finished filling the tank. It took all five gallons and almost filled it, but nothing visible.

I cut and bent a coat hanger and went fishing. No luck there either.

My guess is that it's not going to corrode quickly, so I have some time. I forgot that I might have a fuel level mechanism inside the tank when I was fishing for the top. I never felt anything, so I don't know where the lost bits went, or where the fuel gauge sensor lives. For looking under the hood the tanks shape is odd, but I can't really see all of it.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm tempted to keep an eye out for the junk and just leave it in there until it causes me a problem. I'll ask the dealer, but figured that someone else might have had this particular failure and have a cleaver solutions.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hate when that happens.

I would think those parts would float. To check, take a small container, put some diesel in it then take the nozzle from your other tank and toss it in to see what happens.

I'd think about getting some long-reach pliers and/or a flexible grabber tool (one of those cable things with grabbers on it), like this and keep them handy.

grabbertool.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you can't find it with Zoom's suggestions, I would just siphon the diesel out of the fuel tank to the bottom, and snare the troublemakers. Then, I would dispose of the silly things in the garbage . :) . bordercollie

RedAnt

thanks.

I hate when that happens.

I would think those parts would float. To check, take a small container, put some diesel in it then take the nozzle from your other tank and toss it in to see what happens.

I'd think about getting some long-reach pliers and/or a flexible grabber tool (one of those cable things with grabbers on it), like this and keep them handy.

grabbertool.jpg

That was my go to tool, then I realized that the one in my tool chest contains an LED in the center. Seemed perfect for retrieving parts from the dark nooks inside the motorcycle (where every fallen nut lands). I was not willing to douse my flexible igniter into 10 gallons of diesel. I like the non-burning orange color of my Kioti.

I did make a mental note to pick up a normal one of those tools, without the LED light.

After being reminded about the fuel level sending unit, I'm a little reluctant to fish around too much until I know more about where and how our fuel level unit works. The downside of leaving those parts rattling around inside the tank seems minimal. Planning out the best extraction method doesn't need to be rushed.

RedAnt

Fuel spout still hitching a ride inside the the fuel tank. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Fuel gage is fine.

Each fill I look in hoping to catch a glimpse of it. But no sightings yet.

RedAnt

Long time no issues.

Just updating to say "nothing happened" after 720+ hours on the clock.

Still loving this tractor!