UPDATE ON UPDATE

Bill D

Well that did not last long:pat: Ran the ym for about 1/2 day then parked it for the night, next morning tried starting it and it was a real struggle but it sorta ran BUT!!! gray smoke & missing A BUNCH!!! thought i might have broke a ring.
Pulled the head today and found the rear cyl had blown the head gasket but it had happened sometime back and had healed itself enough to run till i fussed with injector pump.
I have attached pics, is there any thing else but decarboning head & pistons, checking for warped head, that I should see to while I have it this far tore down?????
All info greatly appreciated.
Bill in SE Idaho a misplaced Alabama boy:beatdeadhorse5:

Attachments

• head 10IMG_1992.jpg
    head 10IMG_1992.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 302
  • head12IMG_1994.jpg
    head12IMG_1994.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 299
  • head7IMG_1990.jpg
    head7IMG_1990.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Ihead14MG_1996.jpg
    Ihead14MG_1996.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 298

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bummer! I have the same motor and I hope it never does that.

I've read that ether shouldn't be used in these because it will blow the head gasket. Maybe that's how it got like that.

You might test that the valves seal by putting a little diesel in the ports then see if it gets through the valves into the chambers.

Assuming that the head and block surfaces are ok, replacing the head gasket should be all it needs to go another 30 years. There's not much else to fix on these.

Bill D

Bummer! I have the same motor and I hope it never does that.

I've read that ether shouldn't be used in these because it will blow the head gasket. Maybe that's how it got like that.

You might test that the valves seal by putting a little diesel in the ports then see if it gets through the valves into the chambers.

Assuming that the head and block surfaces are ok, replacing the head gasket should be all it needs to go another 30 years. There's not much else to fix on these.

The block face seems to be good but have not got the straight edge on it yet but maybe tomorrow, I am going hunting for a head shop tomorrow and have them shave it as little as can be done.
The head had leaked enough to seize the head stud in the hole and had a heck of a time getting the head off of the block (hardest part of job).
The guy I bought it from said he had used ether to start it so he is probably the culprit as I have found lots of ham and egg maintenance issues on this unit but I still like the ugly old thing:myopinion: BUT!!! it sure makes me upset when someone ham & eggs a job and lies about it.:furious:
Oh well the beat goes on.
misplaced Alabama boy.

Mark777

Bill,

I would sure pull the valves and face the valves and seats. Toss in a set of valve stem seals and the head is good to go another 30+ years. Use a good shop Vacuum when you de-carbon the piston tops. It will remove all the debris in the cylinders and prevent any damage to the walls and rings.

Surfacing the head at the bare minimum will keep from readjusting the pump timing. That means adding or removing the pump base shims. You should be OK....unless the machine shop is talking about removing .0010 or more.

Bill D

Bill,

I would sure pull the valves and face the valves and seats. Toss in a set of valve stem seals and the head is good to go another 30+ years. Use a good shop Vacuum when you de-carbon the piston tops. It will remove all the debris in the cylinders and prevent any damage to the walls and rings.

Surfacing the head at the bare minimum will keep from readjusting the pump timing. That means adding or removing the pump base shims. You should be OK....unless the machine shop is talking about removing .0010 or more.

Well more bad news, had it magnafluxed and it has a cracked head next to the lower combustion chamber so new head I guess:pat:
Whats the best way to decarbon the top of cyl wall? What is proper way to remove lower injector combustion chamber? just a brass drift and hammer?
Questions, Questions & more Questions:sorry:
I am looking for new head but I think they do not come with lower combustion chamber BUT what do I know:myopinion:
Thanks for all the info & feedback.
Bill in SE Idaho
Still like my ugly tractor!:mrgreen:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hoyetractor.com lists the upper and lower chambers, and the copper washers that seal them.

They describe pressing them out/in as a job best left to an automotive machinist.

Also they may have the head, complete.

Bill D

Hoyetractor.com lists the upper and lower chambers, and the copper washers that seal them.

They describe pressing them out/in as a job best left to an automotive machinist.

Also they may have the head, complete.

I have been looking at hoye and they sell one with most of the parts which I will probably buy but not to sure about the lower chamber removal and hate having to buy new lower chambers also at $40+ ea. but it would cost me to have the old ones removed & one may not be serviceable.
I guess its time to go shopping:shitHitsFan:
Bill in SE Idaho

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
Is there any ridge on the cylinder walls? If there is much of a ridge at all, it would be a good time to mic the cylinders and possibly slip in a set of rings as well as the suggested valve job.

Bill D

Well bit the bullet and ordered the new head plus parts from Hoye and should get them first if next week, dam them heads aint cheap but it eliminates ANY questions or doubts about the head. :whistling:
This ugly old Yannie ought to run fer a couple of years at least:noevil:

Bill D

Well I have to admit I have been goofing off getting ready to head south to AZ for the winter:tiphat: but I have the Yanney back together all but putting in antifreeze then firing it up, check valve setting, and retorque head bolts but it will have to wait till spring. SNOW forecast for Tuesday an I am allergic to that stuff:puke1:
Want to thank y'all for the help :respect:
Will check in while I am down there to see what is the latest news is & offer any help that I can with my limited knowledge.
I will try to post some pics later to show how nice its starting to look.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have a good "get a way" Bill D. I like snow for a day or so then I am ready for it to go as it makes cow feeding and tending sort of hard since we aren't use to it nor have the right clothes. But it is sure nice to watch the calves chase the snow flakes with their tails all wound up and popping. Your southern neighbor, Bordercollie

MBDiagMan

Site Supporter
I never minded feeding in the snow too much, but busting the ice of the ponds was a pain in the seat of the pants. Back when I had cattle and was traveling too much, my wife and kids wore themselves out a few times keeping the ice broken.

Like bordercollie, we're not equipped very well for those occasional snow storms or hard freezes.

Bill D

Welllllll we have had a long fall this year and the weather is ust starting to turn to 20 degree nights and +30s in the daytime with more drops forecast for end of next week and when it sets in it can go down to -15 to -20 and stay there for extended periods:cuss: and its not fer this old man anymore.
Hope to find a bit of placer Gold this winter, we found some good color last winter and hope to expand our find.:a1:

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Have fun Bill D. Hope you strike it rich. Let us know what happens when you get back to it in the spring.

I was born in Scotland so was pretty much used to cold, damp weather but these days I can live without it, thank you very much. Unlike you guys, even though I live in Texas, I worked for 3 winters up in Wyoming. I still have a closet full of clothes that are good to at least -20 degrees. They're way to warm for down here but I can't force myself to get rid of them. You never know when the next ice age will begin or I'll be hit by a stray armor piercing shell. :yum: They're heavy enough to stop both in their tracks.

MBDiagMan

Site Supporter
I lived a couple of years in the German Black Forest. Not drastically cold Winters, but enough to help me appreciate a Texas Winter. In January 2004, I spent a week in Waupaca, Wisconsin. It never got warmer than 25 below the whole time. SO, even though I'm a Texan, I have a full understanding of what makes some people follow the Geese. Also as a Texan, I understand what makes the geese choose to go North as well.

Bill D

Well the day after we left home it started snowing and within one week it went down to 10 deg below zero :dancing:
Could not have picked a better time to leave, no gold to talk about yet but flour gold & still looking for the pay streak:tiphat:
Oh well the beat goes on & on & on:a1:

Bill D

Well I am back and I found a mess

I tore into the eng again and found 1 piston with broken lands, a bent rod so I went all the way to inframe rebuild, sleeves, pistons, rings, rod bearings, new head, valves.
I have attached pictures so someone else will think twice about using ether.
Also found a error in the shop manual on how the injector lines hook up and it caused me some grief till someone pointed out they were hooked up backwards.
Finally got it up and running today, all that's left is to install the FL.
Boy its been a wet spring but glad to be home, was not as much fun going to AZ this winter. Might just be my last trip south.
Bill D

Attachments

• bent rod1.jpg
    bent rod1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 79
  • busted piston1.jpg
    busted piston1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 79
  • cyl pull2.jpg
    cyl pull2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 80
  • new cyl.jpg
    new cyl.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 78

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Ah Bill, it's been a nightmare, hasn't it. Glad to see you made it back although, from the sound of it, you didn't strike it rich in Arizona.