Kohler Ignition or Carb Problems

GTSRider

Ok.... I am at my witts end here .
Cub Cadet 3000 series with a Kohler V -twin .
All of a sudden today , while mowing.... engine quit.... long story short...
I thought it was a fuel problem , and checked fuel pump , and carb several times... disassembled carb and cleaned jets and bowl.
Still will not run.... only for a few seconds , and quits.
Is it possible that the ignition is at fault ?
Thanks... my grass is growing and I need this fixed pronto.
Pete

GTSRider

Just played with it a little more...have decided to replace a simple inexpensive part first...
the fuel filter. It has about 75 hrs. on it since last replaced last season.
When I check fuel flow to carb it appears to be good ...but I am thinking it slows down after engine is running for a minute or 2 and then dies.
I can hear solenoid click when ignition is turned on... so I think that is ok.
Checked ignition and both plugs fire strong on a non running engine check.
I need to mow lawn soon , so I am trying to figure this out quick.

GTSRider

Just ordered new fuel pump, as there is only a drop or 2 coming from pump to carb, after installing new fuel filter.
Will new pump have to be primed after installation ?
Thanks ,
Pete

Kanook

Removing and replacing the fuelpump should have the same effect as running out of fuel..Crank engine 'till it starts once the new pump is installed.

GTSRider

Still in trouble... just installed new Kohler fuel pump today.... no go.
Engine starts almost immediately, then dies, as if in fuel starvation... new pump is pumping strong to carb.... now thinking solenoid is faulty...sometimes it clicks , sometimes
nothing, and sometimes it buzzes.
Will a faulty fuel shut off solenoid make an engine behave like this ?
I am thinking yes.
Engine has 475 hr.s on her.
Thanks
Pete

GTSRider

Unbelievable.... I just came in from outside... and all's I did was turn the key...
and the engine is running fine !
I can not figure this one out... but maybe it was when I pulled out solenoid, and moved it, and dislodged some spec of grit ... don't know... but running fine now... whew !
My grass is over a week past due to be mowed.
Pete
Millbrook, NY

Kanook

Congrats on the fix..When all else fails...reseat relays and solonoids...will keep that in mind.

GTSRider

Well.... that was short lived.... after an hour of flawless running.... she quit ...
dead in her tracks...just like last time.
GOT to be that damn fuel shut off solenoid... right ?
What else could it be ?

Kanook

Still in trouble... just installed new Kohler fuel pump today.... no go.
Engine starts almost immediately, then dies, as if in fuel starvation... new pump is pumping strong to carb.... now thinking solenoid is faulty...sometimes it clicks , sometimes
nothing, and sometimes it buzzes.
Will a faulty fuel shut off solenoid make an engine behave like this ?
I am thinking yes.
Engine has 475 hr.s on her.
Thanks
Pete

You mention the solenoid buzzes at times..Not familiar with the wiring of that machine (kubota man) but would hazzard a guess at that solenoid. If you have wiring diagram you might want to see what keeps that thing 'picked' once the engine is running. Sounds like the 'hold' circuit is being interupted if it's not the solenoid itself.....Good luck.

GTSRider

Good point.... it just gave me 1 hr of perfect running then quit suddenly , as it does always.
Something is affected by heat.... will a solenoid do this ?

Kanook

Heat will affect the operation of electronic/electrical devices in unpredictable ways..Just a hunch on my part but relays/solenoids can behave erratically with fluctuating voltage. Have you verified tractors voltage at time of failure....Again just guess work on my part.

GTSRider

Another good point...will check tomorrow.
What in your experience would control voltage to solenoid ?
A member on another list, said that there usually is a control unit for the solenoid....
I should be looking at a wiring diagrham.

GTSRider

Latest theory.... it IS electrical.... AND gas related.
So 2 items fall into that category.... fuel shut off solenoid, and ( possible ) control
of that ... if one exists at all.

GTSRider

Problem solved !

It turned out to be a bad connector in plastic plug coming from PTO switch.
Sometimes the problem is simple....but a bear to find !

Kanook

Glad you got to the bottom of it...Sometimes plain old trouble shooting does the trick..That could be a bear to diagnose.....Thanks for the feedback..