Glo plug problem?? BX2230

1kubota

How do I check if the glo plugs are working? Tractor doesn't start as quick as it did last winter. Hold key to at glo plug position for approx. 15 seconds, still cranks over quite a few times before it starts.

Thanks
Larry

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know exactly where you are but it's really cold in a lot of places so another 15 seconds or more may be needed. I don't have a Kubota but once it does fire up but while still running rough, can you set the key back to that glow plug heat setting?

Assuming you can physically reach the plugs, set your key to heat them then physically touch the plug. It should be warm. Don't burn yourself...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When cold my Kubota will do that. My glow plug comes on and stays on longer when it's cold out. Once it clicks off it should be ready to start. I've found when it's below freezing if I run the glow plugs through their cycle once, then wait five seconds or so and do the glow plugs again that she fire up quicker.

A block heater or heated dip stick can also help a lot in cold temps.

1kubota

bczoom, I'll check on feeling if the plugs get hot.
Doc, My glo plugs don't have a cycle, have to hold the key in glo plug position. I do what bczoom recommended to see if they are working. If they are I'll let them heat longer.
Thanks to both of you guys
Larry
Northern,Indiana

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have to cycle mine twice on my Gehl with a Deutz as well as my RTV. It is dang cold out right now. Not like when it is 30-40F.

1kubota

Muleman, I took the glo plugs out. Tested one at a time. Glowed good. I used fine emory paper to clean them up. Seemed to do the trick. They were carboned up pretty bad. Guess I don't work the tractor hard enough to keep things cleaned up.
Thanks
Larry
Northern,Indiana

muffler man

glow plugs

use a multimeter and check resistance. It should be no more than 6 ohms. all should should be fairly close to each other in resistance. I had one go bad on my rtv900 recently. all the readings were 1.7, 1.7, and 37 ohms. guess which one was bad.