Snow plowing with a Gator

G

I plowed snow with a 6x4 diesel gator with a curtis plow and cab. I now I have a new understanding for why the RTV is so popular. It was 'okay' I guess, however knowing the alternitive you can't help but compare. They are no comparision to the pushing power, the 6" of light snow would stop the machine at times, even with chains on the back. The plow moved VERY slowly, so slow that it make it hard to be productive. The fit of the cab was really bad, it shook around on top of themachine.The ROPS structure of the RTV makes a much better mounting point. If there wasone advantage, it was easier to shuttle between forward and reverse.

BovsRTV

<FONT size=4>Speaking of the shifting issue!! That's the only complaint I have with our RTV! We've tried lubing the cables and so on, tried different techniques for shifting like stepping on brake, (Seems to work the best out of all the tricks), turning the steering wheel back and forth, I think it's just a defect on Kubota's part! There HAS to be something else we coud do! MessickFarms, maybe if by chance you get to speak with the Rep. maybe you could get his wheels turning for us! THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!! As with this website it would be a GREAT asset to all of us! THANKS!!!</FONT>

G

I am not sure there is much that can be done. Its a simple mechanical difference between a CVT and a 3/1 Range gear selector. The RTV shifts just like any tractor does, because really... the RTV is a tractor. I have wondered if they could have made reverse a second pedal, just like all the tractors have. That would be a nice improvment. </P>

</P>

Chandler

Having reverse on a second pedal sounds like a good idea to me. It would be like the tractors and mowers. You could really move around quickly, especially in tight places. I think that would be a good selling point for the RTV also. Do you think that it could be added as a kit to the existing RTV's ?

G

I do not see how it could. As it is I think the pump only operates in one direction and reverse is provided by a physical gear. It would take a major overhaul to change that. </P>

</P>