Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
It certainly was a beautiful day in our neck of the woods - until the storms and flood warnings. I am glad you got to enjoy it with your grand-babies.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
California ,

Those persimmons are beautiful. They appear to have some Japanese linage as they are larger than the American persimmon. And I'll bet they are far less astringent.

We have mainly Yates, Prok and Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro (Asian). Wish we were closer neighbors so I could obtain a cutting or two of the Hachiya for grafting.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
California ,

Those persimmons are beautiful. They appear to have some Japanese linage as they are larger than the American persimmon. And I'll bet they are far less astringent.

We have mainly Yates, Prok and Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro (Asian). Wish we were closer neighbors so I could obtain a cutting or two of the Hachiya for grafting.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
Thanks. I could mail you cuttings if you wish, just PM the mailing instructions.

These Hachiya persimmons are astringent until they are dead ripe, as soft as a traditional tomato, soft enough you could poke a finger into one. At that point they are like a jar of jam. My wife eats one daily scooping it out with a spoon. Dad did likewise. People tell me traditional use is slice and dry them for later baking or snacks.

We planted a Fuyu recently and get some 50 persimmons from it at this point. Those are less astringent and have the texture of an apple. The friends we give fruit to, mostly want Fuyus.

These Hachiyas are vigorous growing trees. When harvesting, every year I saw off branches that are heavy with fruit above what I can reach from a 14 ft ladder then strip the fruit after that branch is entangled lower down.

The persimmons ripened early this year. In contrast to the naked trees in my photos above, harvest will be like this 2010 photo with the leaves still on the trees.

attachment.php

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Tell your BIL he already owes you the difference because you already have the best machine!
This is informative to me though. I’ve ridden many artic cat snow machines and I had no idea they were bought by Textron, which is what you have here. Probably a tweaked re badged stampede?
It would be interesting to see which model they sell more of the gas or diesel.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Good to see CAT diving into the market.

I am curious if they sourced the diesel engine or created their own CAT diesel that small.

Also, I was surprised to see how long the rear swing arms are.

Looks like belt drive, electric power steering and I don't see a power dump bed but a electric hydro assisted is probably available.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Look what followed me home

A new companion for our RTV 1140. I do believe the two of them will make a good team. This is why I sold the RTV900 to get something that would haul more people. This Honda has seating for 5. The bed has two seats that fold down when not needed and fold up when you have passengers. Down side is when you have passengers you have no bed for hauling anything else. Up side is this will climb the hill I talked about earlier this year that the Kubota could not climb. So, each has their strenghs and weaknesses.

Attachments

• NewHondaP1k5-2.jpg
    NewHondaP1k5-2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 67
  • NewHondaP1k5-1.jpg
    NewHondaP1k5-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 66

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Doc, that looks like it almost has an orange tint to it. LOL Honda does make a really good engine. Guess that will be your people mover.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those pics do show a bit of an orange tint. I plan to take side by side pics with both the RTV and the P1k5, then I expect the red to show more.

Actually both the P1k5 (Pioneer 1000-5) and the RTV 1140 will serve at people movers to get folks to the boat docks. At times we have 10 plus going down. We have docks for up to 4 boats but usually we just have three there. So, the people do add up fast. We have made up to 3 trips before to get em all down there. Should have no more of that. 10 mins each way ...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Skid Steer Help

" Little" Dixie isn't so little anymore but still loves to help me load the feed wagon. She is my faithful buddy and will only mind me when others are around. Her sister Willie ( on the JD) is the same about my bil. She loves him much.

Attachments

• KIMG0047.jpg
    KIMG0047.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 69
  • KIMG0038.jpg
    KIMG0038.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 70
  • KIMG0040.jpg
    KIMG0040.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 68

Mark.Sibole

Merry Christmas ya'll Yes im still alive just busy as all hell/ Anyone have a mid shaft bearing or may be listed as drive shaft carrier bearing laying around.I need an outside diameter shaft diameter and thickness to see if i can find a cheaper part instead of the gold plated Kubots one.Thanks again...Mark

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great to hear from you Mark. :) I agree with shinnery ! keep that snow up there please..we had an inch here a few weeks ago and it lasted a day- that's enough for me.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
" Little" Dixie isn't so little anymore but still loves to help me load the feed wagon. She is my faithful buddy and will only mind me when others are around. Her sister Willie ( on the JD) is the same about my bil. She loves him much.

Ahhhh a John Deere 4020. Looks well taken care of. I put Anhydrous Ammonia on with a 4020 as a commercial applicator for two summers. In the spring was with a tool bar and then side dressed later. A great tractor and there is a lot of them around yet.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Thcri. It's my bils diesel . He bought it new around 1970 and has just restored it with a little help from me.... now he's wanting to start on the butane 4020. :) Since being fixed up, it just sits around and may do an occasional job such as the loader function in the future. We use the modern cabbed tractors on the farm.(cattle) . I really believe he will never want to get cow manure on the 4020's again. :)
By the way he put a completely new wiring harness on, bought from Biltman Company,and it was first class made in America- quality with all ends labeled. collie

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
2005 Silverado, about 300K miles. Anyone have trouble with low oil pressure on start up?

I am told its a fairly common problem with gasoline 6.0 liter V8 which doesn't make me feel any better.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, did you fix the issue or replace the engine - which are the options I have right now.

Grateful to know what worked for you.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thank you Thcri. It's my bils diesel . He bought it new around 1970 and has just restored it with a little help from me.... now he's wanting to start on the butane 4020. :) Since being fixed up, it just sits around and may do an occasional job such as the loader function in the future. We use the modern cabbed tractors on the farm.(cattle) . I really believe he will never want to get cow manure on the 4020's again. :)
By the way he put a completely new wiring harness on, bought from Biltman Company,and it was first class made in America- quality with all ends labeled. collie
'

Butane or LP? Not that they don't exist (just never heard of one) but we had a lot of LP tractors around here. I think I even have a picture of a 4020.

Status
Not open for further replies.