Diesel Fuel Stabilizer

JohnRussell

I am not using my RTV as much in the winter so it sits and so does the diesel (5 gallon can) that I bought before winter. Should I use a stabilizer product in the tank and in the gas can? This is the only one I have found ... </p>

http://www.powerservice.com/cd/</p>

</p>

I am also looking for a good funnel/filter combination ... are there others besides this one ...</p>

http://www.mrfunnel.com/What.html</p>

</p>

Thanks</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Power Service and "Mr. Funnel" are both highly recommended products (in my book).</p>

On the Power Service, look at the different types/applications and determine which is best for you. If you're in cold weather, you're going to want to get more than a cleaner.</p>

For a "year around, all-purpose" product, I use Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost®</p>

</p>

</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
BC:</p>

Do you use a Mr. Funnel? Cost? I looked at their website for a dealer location but couldn't find one within 100 miles. I'm located about 40 miles east of the Steeler Nation Headquarters.</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Keifer"]</p>

BC:</p>

Do you use a Mr. Funnel?[/quote]</p>

I did but now I can't find it...</p>

As I recall, they're kind of pricey. Don't remember exactly how much. Mine was a gift so I don't know price or where it was bought from.</p>

</p>

</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
</p>

For me I seldom use a funnel with fuel. Perhaps I am just blessed with HIS grace; but have never had a clogged filter due to debris in the gas. Water perhaps once while fueling a motorcycle years ago. IMHO its the condensation that happens in the tank that is the major culprit. I use Marvel Mystery, the diesel specific treatment listed above, or the Lucas fuel treatment that I get by the gallon. Seems to work just fine on my to many gas and diesel devices that I have around. Yes, I treat the gas engines with stabil in the late fall and have a can of gas treated for those that I use just a bit through the winter.</p>

By the way, I picked up a graduated clear one quart funnel the other day at Sav Auto for $3.99. Has a on off long spout with a wire grid filter in the bottom.</p>

See ya........Dennis</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The Marvel Mystery isused down here about as much as duct tape !!! Good Stuff ~~~~~~~~~</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
while you guys are talkin about stabilizers . how good do they work and how much would i need to store a 55 gallon drum of gas for about a year or less? i am stocking up for huricane season and i have a few drums i wanna se about filling and if after the season i don't use them i'll just use them in my rhino or my car.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They work well. Each has its own directions but normally an ounce of the stuff will treat 2-3 gallons. One bottle should do it.</p>

For a year or less, you may not need it in your climate.</p>

river

I live in the north country and store a full tank of gas in my boat which is stored in an underground warehouse through the winter, and also a couple 5 gallon cans that normally see down to 30 degree temps, similar to the boat. Without stabilizer, it is about useless after a little more than six months, but with the recommended amount of Sta-Bil on the bottle, which is 1 oz per 2 1/2 gal, the fuel is still good a year later. The bottle says to double that dosage for extended storage. Have never done that.</p>

I'm not saying that those amounts would be enough for outdoor winter storage here, but I'm just writing what I've done.</p>

Doug</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="bczoom"]</p>

</p>

For a year or less, you may not need it in your climate.</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Yeah, might not need it in Tommy's climate, heck, all it does down there is blow away his stuff. That would include his stabilized barrels of fuel also..... Bury it Tommy, Bury the fuel~~~~~~~~ wind don't blow down there >>>>>>>>>>> he * he * he </p>

</p>

~~~~~~~~~~~ jamie</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
very funny. thats about as funny as the guy trying to tell me a 30 year shingeled roof is better than a 20 year shingeled roof?? i mean come on there ain't a roof in south louisiana that is over 5 years old nobody ever collected on that 30 year warranty down here.</p>

coobie

I use schaeffers winter diesel treat or stanadyne performance formula.There is a great reading report out called the spicer lubricty test.It was a independent study on all diesel additives.Opti lube was at the top of the list.coobie</p>