Parts of your 43hr RTV you never want to see!!!!

toothy

I found the bad bearing in my 43 hr old 2006RTV transmission. It was the first bearing on the input shaft, the cage was pretty eaten up.</p>

I replaced the bearing and put it back together and miracle of miracles it works.</p>

The shop manual left a bit to be desired but it worked.</p>

The bearing was only$5 but the paper gasket between the two halves of the transmission was $73! Total fix including manuals $225 or so and a good bit of time.</p>

Thanks for your suggestions back in early December.</p>

</p>

Wade</p>

muleman2

did you find a missing retainer or anything that would have destroyed this bearing like that? my thoughts would lean toward metal debris from the case machining or assembly dirt.did you find any sandy dirt in the fluid? glad you got it fixed but it would be nice to know what brought it on. Bill</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
MaybeI have forgotton,or didn't know to begin with , was any of this is warranty ????</p>

Forget this statement, finally read it all ~~~~~~~~~ it's a 2006 model ~~~ Sorry 'bout that ~~~~~</p>

toothy

</p>
<div><span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;">No there wasn't any warranty, it was a 2006 that had mostly carried around the wife and grand kids on the dirt road's in the neighborhood.

I didn't find any stuff in the case that would have made the bearing fail. It was either a faulty bearing cage or like you say a piece of stuff left over from mfg. The magnet on the drain plug really does it's job!!!!</p>

I sold a 40 some horse Kubota tractorat 28 hrs and was very happy with it. This experience however could cause me to reconsider the color of next years tractor when I sellmy Cat 416 backhoe.</p>

I will say that it all came apart and went together pretty well, aside from the manual omissions.</p>

I'm looking forward to all the trouble free hours others talk about from their RTV's.</p>

</p>

Thanks</p>

Wade</p>
</span></div>

</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
that bearing could have failed from lack of use and no i'm not kidding 42 hours over a 3 or 4 year period is like pretty much leaving it parked and when you do that you are doing more damage to an engine that you would if you ran it wide open 24/7 . all the oil drains down and off the parts when it's sitting i don't even like to leave any motor sit for any period of time without running it for a few minutes. it's recomended that if you don't run them enough that you put a bit of oil in each cylinder and turn the motor over one good time to coat the piston and the cylinder good but the same could be said for the bearings.i think they make a slick50 for deisels that might be worth your while checkin into because it sounds like you don't use the rtv that much not even enough to get it warmed up .</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear that you have everything back to normal. The shop manual will be handy later on , on other issues you might have. I have mostlyhad problems with u joints starting after 1600 hrs so you should have a long way to go.I have 2464 hrs now and still love the machine. I wish you the best!! Bordercollie</p>

toothy

I'll be happy if I never need the manual again.</p>

</p>

On the lack of use theory, I agree in principal that very little use is somewhat detrimental. However in this case, this was a horizontal shaft with ball bearings, as such the outer race would hold some oil for the next starting in a puddle on the bottom. Also oil is held in all the tight spaces between the balls and races and the cage by surface tension.</p>

It won't get anymore of those long layoffs, I have started the building project which is whyit was purchased. It's now on regular snowplowing, firewood hauling, house and shop construction, road buildingand windmill and solar panel building duty.</p>

</p>

Thanks for your replies</p>

Wade</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wade,</p>

I still think you should notify Kubota (corporate). If they have an issue, they need people to let them know about it. Who knows, maybe they'll you out somehow.</p>

</p>