OK, I'm back

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, I'm back (I think).</p>

Don't think I really have a choice. TWO GUNS is about to pass me in total posts (and that's not good...). :)</p>

Actually, I was offline (for the most part) for several months due to work commitments. I can't visit the forum when connected to their computer.</p>

Then, around mid-December, I pinched a nerve in my neck. Right shoulder/arm was either in extreme pain or numb. Couldn't drive the computer (to visit here or to work). Was at one MD or another 3 times a week. </p>

Got laid off from work as of December 31. OK, now I have time to visit but still can't type or drive the mouse. </p>

More doctor visits, rehab, exercises, handfuls of meds several times/day (5 kinds of meds), electro-accupuncture, electro-shock therapy, ultrasound treatments, manipulations, X-rays, MRI's... Should have gotten the steroid shots in the spine but I bowed out.</p>

So, I can type now but don't have a job to keep me off the computer.</p>

So, what do y'all want to talk about?</p>

Brian</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Brian:</p>

Glad to see ya back on the Forum but not becauseof your current health problems or, your unemployment status. While I've heard of it....how does one "pinch a nerve"? Is it because of old age? Is it from doing acrobatic exercises? Is it from carrying too much weight? Is it from operating a RTV? Others can jump in here an offer suggestions how Brian hurt himself... lol</p>

"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." Will Rogers </p>

How does the work situation look for you in the future? So many folks getting the pink slip these days. Some people will be called back but others are looking for work somewhere else. The work outlook in Western PA is notgood right now...but, no different than many other parts of the country. </p>

Hoping you find some sunshine...</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We're not exactly sure what caused the pinched nerve. For me, the pain came upon slowly, over a period of days. First, some soreness, then increased pain, lack of movement in the neck, pain in arm... I am old. I don't do acrobatics (on purpose and we'll leave my toboggan ride from last winter out of it). It's not from riding the RTV.</p>

As work goes, I'm not concerned. My "9 to 5 job" is developing computer systems for hospitals. There's a lot of regulatory and other (quasi-mandated) updates that hospitals will need done this year. The main software vendors will be releasing software to take care of these changes in February or so. Once sent to the hospitals, they're going to need resources (like me) to help install. I figure I'll get back to work in 30-60 days. Oh, and my work is national so I'm not directly impacted by local or regional employment. I haven't had an employer in PA in years.</p>

</p>

</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad thngs are looking up for you BCZoom. Take care of yourself out there . There a lot of folks who always need computer help too. I know of several guys that do computer fixes on the weekends and add to the income. You will always be in demand cause you know the stuff. Bordercollie</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Yep, betterget up with the program ~~~~ I'm slowlycreeping up there my friend !!!!</p>

Glad yourup and going again. No sir, I wasn't going to bring up the " snowman acting like a bullet " stunt !!!!! That still hurts thinking about you doing that trick !!!Needed that on video Brian ......</p>

Just pickin' with you Brian, hope and pray everything smooths out for you, take care of yourself, the older we get, the more it hurts and " IF " it can be fixed, sure takes a heck of a long time for the fixing to show up ~~~~~~~</p>

Do you still have my " Bunker " ? Wish it was down here, sure would get it off your hands !!!!</p>

~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
man i hope things get 100% back to nromal for ya. i for one know way to much about back and neck problems and they ain't fun . my last go round with a car wreck put out another disc in my mid back no now it's even i have it all covered lower/mid/neck disc out. i plan on getting me a f450 that way if someone else hits me they will be on the short end of the stick not me. and about that bunker me and twoguns is gonna make our way up north when all heck breaks loose so whats the code to knock on the door to get you to open it?? i know we just gonna start cookin a gumbo and when you smeel dem roux start to brownin you gonna swing dat doe open show nuff. i ain't seen noe body resist a good gumbo i take some of dat roux left over and splash it under my arm pits when i go out lady chasin. i wanted to use some fresh roux one time so i scooped me some up right out da pot and true it on !!!!YEEEEEHAAAAA!! ever see a coonass do micheal jackson??dem burns are just startin to goway now i would say let dat stuff cool down a bit first.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie - Not sure if it's good or bad but my expertise is in mainframe computers (the real big ones). I tinker with small stuff but only for myself or a couple friends. Never for money.</p>

Jamie & Tommy - Still have MY bunker and it's sitting there ready to go if/when the time comes. Not sure if I mentioned it on this forum but I finally have by "bug out bags" ready to go should the need arise. I keep them at home since I don't know until an "event" arises to know whether the bunker or some other destination is where I'd be heading. I spend probably several thousand $$$ getting the "Emergency Preparedness" kits together (not counting guns, ammo, generators...) but I'm pretty sure I'm set for most anything.</p>

The password will be given when the time is right.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yea my wife calls me a freak being i spend all my extra money on ammo/guns/and fuel/and stoves/coldweather cloths and whatever else i think of. if something happens i might take her i don't know it would be good to here her say man i'm glad you have been savin all this stuff. we went to N.O the other day and she knew i had my glock with me we we got out at a walmart on the way back and she seen one of my mags and she says it doesn't do any good to carry a gun if you don't load it . i asked her what she meant and she picked up the mag and said this you left the bullets out the gun. i had to laugh and i reached down and picked up the gun and showed her i had a mag in the gun and 2 in the holster and i said thats an extra mag just incase the rest of the gang bangers don't get the hint that i ain't playing around.she then starts in on me about bringin a gun on a ride with almost 100 rounds but i figure what would happen if we was to get stuck and had to walk home?? them 100 rounds would be nice to have. i also have a few 30+3 round mags for the glock too i use them as spares just incase. i feel it's better to be prepared the to be sorry.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i would stayaway from them spinal shots they might get you goin and make you feel like your good again but in all reality all they do is hide what is still there . pain is the bodies way of telling you to slow down. i would try everything but the streoid shots . the meds i take help me to get by but they also let me feelenough pain to tell me not to try this or that when doing things around the house. i have to laugh at thealieve comercials when them people say they had a severe back pain and could not move then they took two alieve and now they are able to run and walk .lmao i wish alieve worked that good. heck my narcotics don't even work that good!!!</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="tommy 20/69"]</p>

i would stayaway from them spinal shots they might get you goin and make you feel like your good again but in all reality all they do is hide what is still there . pain is the bodies way of telling you to slow down. </p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Your reason is exactly my reason. If I were still in severe pain, I would have considered it to take the edge off. Since I was feeling better, I wasn't going to do it as I do want to feel the pain (to a degree) to know if/when I'm pushing it.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i have been looking and thinkin and with my health problems i can forget about bob bags i need some bib bags bug-in- bags i really can't tote the stuff i need and i really have way to much to tote and i for sure ain't leavin it for someone to eventualy use against me at a later time so i am now changing my thinking to bugging in and hunkering down unless a nucleaer blast or something but realy if that happens i thing leaving is the least of my worries.. but i am gonna still come knockin on that bunker door i guess the code word is "rtv"</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="tommy 20/69"]</p>

i have been looking and thinkin and with my health problems i can forget about bob bags i need some bib bags bug-in- bags i really can't tote the stuff i need and i really have way to much to tote and i for sure ain't leavin it for someone to eventualy use against me at a later time so i am now changing my thinking to bugging in and hunkering down unless a nucleaer blast or something but realy if that happens i thing leaving is the least of my worries.. but i am gonna still come knockin on that bunker door i guess the code word is "rtv"</p>

[/quote]</p>

Staying put is almost always preferred, especially if you're in a rural environment.</p>

There are cases where bugging out is your only shot. We have a nuke plant nearby. Should something happen there, I'm out of here!</p>

Even if staying put, the bug-out bags are nice to have so at least you know where everything is that you may need in the event of an emergency.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yes i live out in the middle of the cane fields with the swamp to my back so we are pretty good down here plus i live about 2 miles north of hwy90 so if i need gas or more food i'll just set up some ambushes on the highway maybe hit a few fema trucks comin or goin.lol a nice walmart truck would be nice.</p>

G

[quote user="bczoom"]</p>

As work goes, I'm not concerned. My "9 to 5 job" is developing computer systems for hospitals. </p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

</p>

Are you an IBM guy? I actually did AS/400 and AIX for awhile before I jumped ship to do tractors. </p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]Are you an IBM guy? I actually did AS/400 and AIX for awhile before I jumped ship to do tractors. </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yep, but I do mainframes only. There's mini-computers in some departments (e.g. Radiology, Lab...) but I work on the Patient Accounting, Registration and Medical Records systems. The (mini) systems have been tried but it takes the power of a mainframe to get it done in the larger institutions (which is where I do my work). Many of the computers I'm on can do 800,000,000 instructions PER SECOND.</p>

larryRB

Brian</p>

</p>

I was one of the very few who were allowed to consistently haul DEC 10 systems. Are you familiar with dec10 and their Alpha chiP?</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Larry, Larry, Larry...</p>

You're really showing your age buddy. Weren't those also known as PDP-10's?</p>

I "think" I had a chance to tinker with them at a young age (my Dad would let me write little programs on the University's or Corporation's computers when I was a kid) but I never got to actually do any meaningful "work" on them.</p>

I started on a IBM system 360 which was being transitioned out for a S/370. They were the top computers at the time. I think todays personal computers may be more powerful...</p>

</p>

larryRB

I'm not sure if they were called PDP's. I remeber that each piece was huge and hard to manuver,, I picked up many an IBM 360 system for return and they were replaced by these DEC10 systems,, There was about 3 to 5 of us that were allowed to haul complete systems.. The other drivers-haulers were only allowed pieces per trailer and never a complete system, In those days, say 74 through 80, a DEC10 system went typically for millions of dollars and several particular systems took over two years to build,,, During these same years, we hauled a lot of Honeywell,, Every single Honeywell was picked up and returned within 90 days,,, Honeywell at the time was light years behind everyone else..</p>