RTV 900 service question...

DaryleD

Hey guys, I've got a question as to the engine oil drain plug on the RTV. Messicks' diagramlists pulling a bolt out that's behind the engine and looks to be under the front of the trans. I pulled the bolt out, and no fluid drained. I then ( as on a car/truck etc.) pulled the regular oil pan drain plug after putting the other plug back in and drained the oil out of the oil pan. The local dealer sold me the wrong filter, and was closed when I drained the oil, so I filled it with new oil and left the original filter, in order to get it out of the middle of the driveway. The actual question is, which plug do you remove? I checked the oil, before ever starting the engine, and it looked dirty still. Does pulling the oil pan plug leave undrained oil somewhere, making you have to pull the other plug? If so, how do you get the oil to drain out of the other plug? Thanks guys, and sorry for the stupid question.</p>

Daryle.</p>

toothy

I'm with youDaryle, that isn't what my engine oil drain plug looks like.</p>

Seeing as how I have the transmission in 2 pieces with no engine attached, if I got lost at the drain plug I'm in deep you know what!!!</p>

Wade</p>

rgm

Daryle,</p>

I'm not sure what bolt the Messick's picture is pointing to. Mine's the same as page 49 of owners & page G-19 of service manuals.</p>

The only tiime I've ever seen oil for diesel engines look clean is when it's poured out of the bottle.</p>

Rich</p>

DaryleD

Thanks guys. I couldn't imagine that photo being correct. It is the same picture that I originally was talking about. I appreciate the help guys. Two guns, I hear ya on the dirty oil thing, but the oil was dirty before I started the engine, right after pouringthe new stuffin, and checking the dip stick before starting the motor. That is why I figured that I didn't get enough old oil out. I really don't know what I would be able to do different next time, to get it all. Maybe I'll park it on a slope, slanting toward the drain plug, and hope for better results. Thanks again.</p>

Daryle.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="DaryleD"] I hear ya on the dirty oil thing, but the oil was dirty before I started the engine, right after pouringthe new stuffin, and checking the dip stick before starting the motor. That is why I figured that I didn't get enough old oil out. I really don't know what I would be able to do different next time, to get it all.[/quote]</p>

In a diesel, the oil is always brownish/black. That's just the nature of the beast (and is perfectly normal).</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="DaryleD"]</p>

Two guns, I hear ya on the dirty oil thing, but the oil was dirty before I started the engine, right after pouringthe new stuffin, and checking the dip stick before starting the motor.</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

That was RGM ( Rich ), that was talking about the dirty oil of the diesel ~~~ my statement was only about the plug !!!!</p>

BCZooM hit it right on the button when he said diesel oil is ALWAYS brownish/ black !!!!</p>

</p>

~~~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

muleman2

I would not park on a slope as the drain is designed to work on a level surface. the dark oil you are seeing is just washing down from the head and rocker arms as you dump it in. you should see the oil in my cummins in my backhoe after a change!! run for 3 min. and check level you would swear it has 200 hrs. on it. no need to worry! Bill B.</p>