Getting Kubota 900 RTV on Friday

jump

This is my first post. I've been reading everything I can on this forum for the past 48 hours to learn everything I can about the bota!</p>

I went to the dealer to look ata new mule they hadadvertised and gotsucked into the Kubota RTV.They had a little'course' for me to drive through and I got to putit through its paces(although after reading this listserv, I think I should have had him come out to my property with it). </p>

Everything I was looking for it had andit seemed much more stout than the Mule 3010. So I took the plunge and bought one.</p>

I also purchased the Curtis plow with manual side to side adjustment and electric vertical adjustment, heavy duty springs,top, windshield, soft doors, heater, and it camewith the lift bed. I bought some lights for it today to mount on the cab. I should have it on Fridayready to go. </p>

It's main mission for right now is to plow snow. We live in Eastern Washington and have suffered a record snow fall in December.My little 4 wheeler simply wasn't up to the task any longer. With a 48" blade and only a couple hundred pounds of weight, it couldn't move any more snow out of the way. Enter the bota!</p>

In the spring and summer it will be for helping us around the vineyard, running to and fro and taking us out into the wilderness. </p>

Now, I've spent all of 10 minutes on one thus far and after reading the forum, Ihave a couple of questions. </p>

(1) Should I buy chains? I checked the clearance on the rear wheels and it looks OK to me for adding on chains, but I"m wondering if the Worksite tires haveenough oomph in them on their own or do I need to add on a set of chains to really push some snow. I am plowing a 1/4 mile stretch of driveway and I expect I willbe helping some of my older neighbors as well. </p>

(2) The dealer said he would adjust thevalve that auto stops the bota. I've read about the coast valve. I am wondering if I can adjust it further on my own or just replacewith the coast valve. This is a brand new machine and I don't want to void the warranty. </p>

(3) I have the hydraulic dump valve on my machine (totally in the wrong place for ease of use), so I am wondering if I will have a tough time shifting or not. Do I really need to wait 7 seconds? I will be doing a lot of forward/reverse with it. </p>

(4) Now, I have the plow, but here is my dream application. I am wondering if I could fit a snowblower to the front that runs off of the hyraulic system in the back. Disconnect the dump ram and hook it up to the snowblower. I'm thinking of a bobcat type application here where they run street sweepers and all the other attachments off the hydraulics. Any ideas onwhether thatexists somewhere?</p>

I can't wait for the snow to start flying againthis weekend. I actually find myself praying for a storm!</p>

Thanks for all the valuable information on here. I've really learned alot from readingyour posts!</p>

J</p>

2008 Kubota RTV 900</p>

Jimna 28hp tractor with loader</p>

Powertrac 400 dozer</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your purchase of a Kubota RTV. </p>

While I am sure you have many questions as to the use and application of your new machine, you are off to a great start. </p>

Keep checking backto this forum as manyRTV owners and other wannabe's come in here quite oftenand offer good sound practical advice on the Kubota. Their adviceis founded on day-to-day practical experiences and not based on trying to sell you something.Although... you might want to contact Tommy for a few accessories he has designed and built. for the RTV's.</p>

Again welcome to the Forum and lots of success (and fun) plowing snow this winter.</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

rgm

Jump,</p>

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new RTV! This is my first year with my RTV900R & I have about 25 hours of plowing residential drives with it (Michigan). I can make money & it's FUN!!!</p>

1) Chains - I keep 200 pounds of ice melt in the bed, the only time I had problems is if there was glare ice under the snow(stock MAG 440 tires). Other than that I can push snow into 5' piles without a problem. Some people have put tracks on for extreme conditions.</p>

2) Coast valve - I installed one & can't imagine plowing without it. Shifting is not a problem, definitely not a 7 second wait. Adjusting the factory valve didn't come up 'till after I installed the coast valve, I might play with it this Summer.</p>

3) I have an '05 so I don't have the dump valve. But after I installed the coast valve, I've never feltI need it.</p>

4) I treat my Curtis plow like the medium weight plow that it is and haven't had any problems (it's not a 'dozer!). I can't imagine plowing without the hydraulic angle. I will also look at changing out my electric lift for hydraulic this Summer, in really wet snow the electric lift won't raise the blade out of a snow pile. Other than that it's been great for me. Several people have toyed with the idea of a snowblower on the front, the general thoughts seem to be that the RTV hydraulics won't handle the g.p.h. flow a snowblower needs.</p>

Happy plowing & pray for snow!</p>

Rich</p>

muleman2

If you don,t have a very steep drive you should be all right without chains.that said,if as you say you are running worksite tires they might be a good option for snow and mud. as far as a snowblower the rtv does not have near enough flow or cooling capacity for hydraulic tools. some applications with light duty tools that dont generate a lot of heat you could get by with it. running a skid type snowblower is not one of these.if you got to erskine's web site they will list the specs for blowing snow with a hydraulic motor blower. as far as using it around a vineyard, I have seen quite a few around the finger lakes winery area. Bill B.</p>

Onfoot

(4) Now, I have the plow, but here is my dream application. I am
wondering if I could fit a snowblower to the front that runs off of the
hyraulic system in the back. Disconnect the dump ram and hook it up to
the snowblower. I'm thinking of a bobcat type application here where
they run street sweepers and all the other attachments off the
hydraulics. Any ideas onwhether thatexists somewhere?</p>

Hey J.</p>

I am also new to the forum, having discovered the Kubota RTV series only after discovering how inadequate my 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler has proven to be at keeping my 2km 'driveway' cleared of snow. But I have also concluded that a snowplow will not be sufficient no matter what it is mounted in front of. My road is too narrow and there is no place to push the snow after the banks have built up. This winter has seen record snowfalls and I have had to hire a grader to come in tomorrow to clear the road.</p>

So, all that to say that I did a fair bit of research into looking for a snowblower. The best I have found can be seen at: http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/utility-vehicle-snow-blower.htm. The hydraulics on the RTV are simply not adequate to provide the HP needed to run a serious two-stage snowblower. So this self-powered unit seems like a workable solution. It also should be less stress and strain on the RTV. Mind you, I am still waiting for the arrival of the snowblower so cannot offer first-hand experience yet. But I hope by the end of next week to have my own snowblower so will let you know how it goes.</p>

In the meantime, I am trying to decide whether or not to bit the bullet and buy an RTV900T6-H sitting at our local 'bota dealer and on which I can get a pretty good deal. I would then sell the Arctic Cat to someone whose demands would be less onerous. It's (the Prowler) is fine for zipping around the property and gathering firewood, but marginal at best for serious plowing.</p>

Onfoot</p>

DigOrange

I think Rich hit it on the nose. If the adjustments don't work out on the valve I would not hesitate to get the coast valve. I never heard of the 7 second thing. If it doesn't want to come out of gear I pull the dump and move on. But that is pretty rare especially since the coast valve was installed. </p>

</p>

On the plow - I mentioned on my last post that I am less than pleased with the Curtis. I had the same problems as Rich with the electric lift not strong enough to left the plow. After I added full size plow shoes it could barely lift it at all. So I ran hoses from the bed couplers to the front of the RTV and put on the hydraulic lift. There is another entire thread on how to do that at: http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/t/3537.aspx . The lift has about 1500lb capacity and it is very fast. I love it! Next year I will probably add the 12 Volt hydraulic swithching valve and add the hydraulic turning. All the part numbers, pictures, and description are posted on the thread I mentioned above.</p>

As for chains - I rarely use 4WD when plowing so I can't see having the need for chains.</p>