stuck in gear

robuta

Hey guys,

I have a problem, I was ploing snow this morning and it woked good for about five minutes then it got stuck in low gear. And I can't get it out. I have tried reving the gas pedal, moving the steering wheel, hitting the brakes while pulling the hydro release knob. And still nothing works. I think I might have to load it up and take to the dealer. Unless guys can think of something. Also rtv's are under warranty for one full year correct.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Turn the machine off, let it sit for about 10 minutes or so....and let the pressure fall.THEN, pull your release valve and if you can "jiggle " the handle while the valve is pulled. Warranty is six months, I think ~~~~ really don't remember >>>></p>

Can you take it out of 4 WD , that will help >>>> less bind on the system, the better chances are it will release !!!!</p>

~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

robuta

Yes i can put in and out of 4x4 no problem. Its wierd the gear selector is right in the neutral position, it just will not move.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Personally,</p>

Sounds like the cable adjustment has come away ~~~~look at the tranny, and see if the selector is moving with the knob ...... </p>

</p>

Might want to get the dealer to look into this, being it's still under warranty...... </p>

</p>

~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

robuta

I disconected the cables form the transmision and the cables move freely. I personally think that something is jamed with tranny. I drove her on to the trailer and I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. And thankfully I looked on kubota's website and it is a one year warranty. Its just weird cause its stuck in forward low, and yet the gear selector is in neutral. Thanks Two Guns for trying to help, I will keep you posted when I get her back.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Yes robuta,</p>

Keep us up to date on what happens, and what the dealer has to do to fix it.... Also, happy thewarranty is one year. I must have been thinking about the Honda Rubicons on the place only having six months..... </p>

~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I seem to remember a thread on here about someone having the "fork" hung up in the transmission. They fixed it themselves.You might use the search feature here to find that discussion.I am glad yours is under warranty. While it is at the dealer, make sure the seat hasn't cracked open yet. My good dealer covered it under warranty Mine seems to last less than a year and then crack,crack. Bordercollie. </p>

doggman

Yes,Idid have ithappen to me. It's not too hard to fix. My instructions on the thread are kind of vague but it basically explains the fix. </p>

Basically, you have popped the shifting fork off the gear slider that moves the gears into the proper position for L M H R. It's not something that should ever happen. When we start seeing aftermarket mechanical enhancements to the RTV this will probably be one of the items - unless Kubota does it first. </p>

Good luck! </p>

robuta

Well I took up to the dealer and thats exactly what happened the shifting fork came off the gear slider. I watched him fix it, and your right it was very easy thing to do so if it happens again I will be able to fix it. Thanks for all the help guys. So I am back to plowing snow!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Happy that machineis fixed and is back on track !!!! Would go crazy without ours. It's part of our life around here !!!!!</p>

~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

</p>

G

There have been many changes to the transmission. You'll see them first in the RTV1140. </p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Messicks............What a "tease line", "You'll see them first in the RTV1140." Now that you have our undividedattention, tell us more about this RTV1140.</p>

G

Thats not news! Its been on our website for three months. </p>

Its a stretched RTV900 with two rows of seats, or a extra large bed that stretches over the back row. Its stick. Should be shipping shortly. </p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Messicks:</p>

Sorry, I should have made my earlier post clearer. </p>

Thanks, I have seenpictures of the RTV 1140, a'stretched' version of the RTV 900. From what I can see, it'ssimilar in concept to another brand of UTV. (Butit goes without saying, the other brand is not in the same league as the RTV.) However, what I was hoping you might be able to provide wasany information onany changes/improvement made to thetransmission in the 2009 RTV models. Seems like quite a few900 and 1100 RTV owners have some difficulty in shifting at times.Is it a matter of operator error? If so, then shifting techniquesneed to be more fully addressed by the dealers. And, correct shifting procedures should beaddressed in the operators manual.(I have a 1973 F-100 with a 'three on the tree' manual transmission that I can shift on the go using just the gas pedal and not using the clutch-- but thats not the approved method I'm sure.)</p>

I have seen lots of very helpful information dealing with RTV sfifting "quirks". hereon the Forum. If the shifting difficulty is not operator error,might it bean engineeringweakness? I don't know... just reading other posts on the Forum.</p>

Thanks for any and all input on this topic.</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

G

I can't say 100% for sure since its not somthing we've had here yet. I suspect the changes are along the lines of the coast valve thats become popular. The dynamic breaking is more smooth, changing ranges is easy. The preasure dump is attached to the brake pedal so its a no brainer to change directions. </p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
How would a machine do if the rpms was set just a little lower,that way when it's in gear, the pressure would not be as high, so that may make shifting a little more easier >>>> Justthrowing a idea in, not that it is the answer or anything. Butour is really not that hard to shift, but I do knowours idles lower than some of theothersI've been around, and the operators ofsome of theothershas stated that the shifting is somewhatharder at times.</p>

G

thats also true. A high idle can make it more difficult. Although in this case, sounds like he has a mechanical issue. </p>