For those that purchase a mower since '94

Erik

actually, on my mower - I figured they did the same thing with how they measure output that the auto manufacturers and electric motor folks did years back.
they changed how they define HP.
(I know part of this is because of materials improvements, but not all of it)
a 20 year old 1/2HP electric motor has a lot more torque than a current manufacture 3/4HP model from most if not all brands. (I see this mostly in my woodworking machines, but also my bench grinder & drills)
my old 5HP mower could power thorugh taller, thicker grass than my new 6.25 HP model. I've spent more than a few minutes trying to figure out how a 32cc weed whacker can have more "label HP" today than the same make did 10 years ago.
And then there's my truck. My old Mazda 4.0L truck was rated for 210 HP. My current Dodge Dakota has a 3.7L motor rated at 220HP. Guess which one has more "grunt". The difference is where the power band is - the Dodge hits 220 HP at 4500 RPM. at 75 MPH in 5th gear it's only turning 2k -- heck, at 75 in 3rd gear it still isn't turning 4500! needless to say, my next truck will not be a Dodge if I can help it. (unless I can find an older PowerWagon in decent condition within my budget!)

OK, I'll shut up now -- rant off.

Alcuy

actually, on my mower - I figured they did the same thing with how they measure output that the auto manufacturers and electric motor folks did years back.
they changed how they define HP.

That is another possibility.

Lots of things enter the equation. Altitude, temperature etc. If the specific conditions under which the engine is rated are not stated, there could be issues there as well. I could probably get higher than rated hp out of any of them with a little "enhancement". Most might not run near as long, however.

They still should not advertise something that is untrue, or indeed state how the HP is measured. It might save them a buck or two along with some bad press.

I do know that If you gear high - Tractor or pickup - it is hard to "feel" that it has any snort. Gear down a notch and it seems to perform much better. It all depends on what the need happens to be and what a guy can be satisfied with.

Oh well, that is the human factor...

I peeked and the grass is getting greener!!! I might get to mow yet this year.

Erik

yeah - I'm well past needing to mow. But the rider is still in the shop and I'm not up to pushing the craftsman mower uphill that much. (yard on a slope)

PBinWA

Another thing to consider is gas quality. Ethanol gas is not only destroying the engines but we are losing a lot of power with Ethanol.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
yeah - I'm well past needing to mow. But the rider is still in the shop and I'm not up to pushing the craftsman mower uphill that much. (yard on a slope)

Since I had surgery last month, I've not been able to prepare my LX176 for the season and had to send it to the shop last week (24 ahead of me, may get it back next week!). In the meantime, my daughter and her fiance brought over his push mower Friday evening and mowed my half acre for me - it killed that Honda several times because the grass was so thick. I'm really grateful to them, as I am not in shpe to do it myself yet for a while.

Fred