Cooling fan running after I shut it down

Loyalpoke

I just bought an 2013 1140cpx. Unlike the new ones, the radiator is on the side and it sounds like in dusty, dirty environments, overheating is something to watch, so keeping the screen and radiator clean is important.
I noticed after running it last night that after I shut it down, if I turned the key back on the electronic fan wanted to keep running. I let it run until it quit , then turned off the key.

Is that normal? Any advice I should know on managing the engine temp?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No problem there at all. You had been working the engine as normal and when it got turned off and back on the fan had the chance to finish cooling off the radiator. I bet you had just run it hard and shut it down faster than it was able to cool down to "normal". NO you hurt nothing. Perhaps, in the future watch the temp gauge for when this happens and then if it was me, I would make sure that I kept running just a bit longer when I was ready to quit before I shut down. YOU HURT NOTHING

Loyalpoke

Thank you D&D! i watched the gauge tonight while feeding and it stayed right in the middle of the dial. I would hear the fan come on when I would let it idle for a while I was working. All sounds normal, thanks for the peace of mind.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just a habit but>> after i am through with my RTV i always idle it until the fan either stars and then shuts off or at least shuts off. i am used to old machinery that would crack a head if you didn't cool them down first. just an old habit that probably isn't necessary. i also have some very very high hour engines still running stock.

foxalaska

I let mine cool down before shutting it off. It probably isn't as important on such a small engine as large diesels I normally operate. It can't be a bad thing to allow temps to equalize in the engine before shutting it down, especially engines with oil coolers and piston coolers. The water pump needs to be operating for this to happen. All engine components have different rates of contraction and expansion.