Where does your temp gauge read?

Loyalpoke

My temp gauge runs at about halfway or more all the time after it has warmed up. Is that normal? Fan is running and it is full of coolant.

ovrszd

You are doing well if it's only halfway. If I use anything higher than half throttle for more than 3 or 4 minutes mine will be nearing the hot mark.

The engine never acts like it's hot. I've never had it boil over, never had to add coolant.

I just accept that the gauge runs hot.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My 04 900 runs right near the cold mark if I just drive it around. If I haul a decent load in summer or plow snow in the winter I can get it up to about 1/2 way. The temp sender is new. It did previously get hot on occasion but that was due to a defective fan control that wouldn't turn on the fan.

Harbor Freight sells an IR temperature detector for about $26. It will tell you the actual temperature of the block and radiator. I have one and use it for just these questions.

Loyalpoke

Thanks for your input. I have always been told the biggest maintenance tip on these small diesels is to keep them from overheating. I have a 2013 1140 and the radiator is on the side. I think the upgrade in design on the newer ones to put it in front is a big improvement. Mine not only misses out on the full impact of air coming in the front but there is substantially more dust on the side behind the seats.

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
The temp gauge on my '05 900 stays at or near the low end unless I pull a really heavy load or run it at full throttle for some time. I had one hunting blind that was 8 miles away. Running it full throttle down the county road for 7 miles was the only time that I've ever had the gauge climb above the half-way mark.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
on my 1100 when working hard at high throttle the cooling fan will kick on about 1/4 on the temp gauge at 100 degree temp outside. the cooling fan will bring the temp down and shut off within about 30 seconds. if the radiator need blown out the fan will run and the temp will climb and if i am working it hard enough the fan will run continually.

Loyalpoke

My kubota tractor has been getting hot. I am diligent to keep grass and seeds blown out of the screen and radiator. However, I got to looking and there was a ton of dirt/dust packed in the fans of the radiator. After presoaking and power washing it is running much cooler. Caution: on my RTV, I think I was a bit aggressive with the power washer and bent too many of the little fan edges down. I will go thru the tedious task of opening them up one at a time.

ovrszd

Yep, a power washer or air blower should be used with caution on a radiator. Really sucks bending them all back straight.... :(

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
My kubota tractor has been getting hot. I am diligent to keep grass and seeds blown out of the screen and radiator. However, I got to looking and there was a ton of dirt/dust packed in the fans of the radiator. After presoaking and power washing it is running much cooler. Caution: on my RTV, I think I was a bit aggressive with the power washer and bent too many of the little fan edges down. I will go thru the tedious task of opening them up one at a time.

If you can turn your pressure washer pressure down that combined with the air gun and patience.... or they make a cool little comb to straighten fins on radiators!

Heatwave

Temp gauge on my RTV900 always runs close to the Hot side, but never crosses into the red zone. It always has done that. Even under heavy work conditions, it never gets to the red zone. But it sure gets my attention.

ovrszd

Temp gauge on my RTV900 always runs close to the Hot side, but never crosses into the red zone. It always has done that. Even under heavy work conditions, it never gets to the red zone. But it sure gets my attention.

Same here. When it's about a needle width from red the fan kicks on and pulls it down a couple needle widths. Then it shuts off and repeats the climb. I've never had to add coolant. But as you said, it gets my attention. :)