massey 135 1974 industrial,lift problem

boomer2005

running the tractor the lift has to be idled up to lift.while doing this it shakes the tractor terrible!!lift is also slow and will slowley drop when the clutch is in(will not stay up when turned off).another thing the pto lever on the side has a neutral, ground and ?.anybody have a clue??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Boomer. Sure glad to see we got that account problem worked out. :clap:

I don't have any ideas off hand but will see if I can dig up any info on this for you.

boomer2005

just had the tractor a few weeks,but have had several mf 135's.fluid is fine and clean.where is the filter on this one?it was yellow at one time and i am going back to red and gray.does'nt have a hour meter,just a amp. temp.,and oil guage.thanks.boomer

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm guessing that it would have a filter but I sure do not know where it would be. I would guess that it would be close to the pump. I prefer to start with the cheap fix and work my way up cause if it is not the filter then I would suspect the pump might be wore out. Course a plugged filter can wear out a pump prematurely.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think Doc has got it covered. Does this tractor have a screen in the transmission other than the filter- if it does, it could be restricting the fluid? The the wrong fluid could have also been used in it.I read the actual filter is behind the shifter plate. Good luck. bordercollie

boomer2005

OK. GUYS./ filter was not behind the pto cover.so i guess i have to remove the top diff cover,what do you guys suggest?another thing it is over charging,can i use a 3 wire alt and b-pass the volt reg and how do i do this?

Oldcartrader

Hang an implement on it and raise the lever. Look through the cover on the side with a flashlight, specifically towards the cylinder, and up towards the front of the cover. Pull the cover opposite the PTO shifter, the oil has to be going somewhere. On this tractor, the filter can be pulled from the shifter side without removing the lift cover. Should be a wire mesh that you can clean. It'll look like a barrel standing at the rear of the pump, some don't have one at all.

You can also check the transfer tube o-rings by removing the two bolts that hold the T block on top of the lift cover. Do this with the arms down. On some the tube is welded into the block, others the tube is liable to remain in the pump when you pull the block off. In which case, you pull it up out of the case, check the o-rings on both ends (there's backup rings, as well) and replace as needed.

Most often, I've replaced the control valve on these. The spool oscillates and wears where it rides in the washers. Pressure is low and the links bleed off. You'd have to pull the pump and remove the spool to verify, but it's fairly simple once you have the lift cover off. There's a pin with two nuts on each side, and you have to pull the PTO shaft.

If you haven't pulled the lift cover yet, remember to pull the rolling pin out of the control valve linkage through the side cover first.

Oldcartrader

OK. GUYS./ filter was not behind the pto cover.so i guess i have to remove the top diff cover,what do you guys suggest?another thing it is over charging,can i use a 3 wire alt and b-pass the volt reg and how do i do this?

This is very simple, I cut the generator bracket in half, turn one side, and make a clevis to take an internally regulated Delco. I'll weld it to a strap, punch new holes, and round the corners off of the top. You'll want to run a spacer behind the alternator where the bottom bolt passes through the clevis, because it you turn the bracket there, you'll cover the bolt hole on the block. About a half an inch gives you enough room to use a bolt and lock washer.

Make sure you have a three pole ignition (on-off-acc) and that you isolate the charging circuit from both the battery and the ignition circuit when you turn the key off. In other words, wire the two alternator wires to ACC, and not directly to the battery. Tied to the battery, it'll drain rapidly when parked. If you tie it into the ignition side, it won't shut off when you turn the key off.

Oldcartrader

Forgot to add, the addition of a 12V internal resistor coil is a good idea, and drop the external resistor. Also, you can go to any auto parts store and ask for an alternator for a 76 Chevy truck with a 350. After you modify the bracket, you can swap the generator pulley to the

And just realized this thread is old/

Last edited: