Torque Question

Big Mac

I am working on a JD 318 and the engine spec's call for a torque of 18+/- 1 N-M (159 +/- 9 lb-in). Another is 20+/- 1 N-M (177 +/- 9 lb-in). What exactly does this mean? I have an inch pound and a one pound torque wrench, but not a metric type.:pat:

t man

Use the set of numbers in parentheses they are for inch pounds in your first example (159 +/- 9 lb-in) means a torque of 159 inch pounds.The +/- 9 lb-in means you can torque it anywhere from 150 to 168.Hope this helps.Tim

B

bczoom

Be careful there...
Watch your torque wrench. Does it say "lb-in" or "lb-ft" There's a real big difference (enough to snap a bolt off).
Here's a calculator.
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/convert.htm

BTW, N-M isn't metric. It's a unit of torque in the "International System of Units" system (basically, it's not metric or SAE but used internationally for measurements). Makes scientific stuff a lot easier if everyone uses the same measurements.

Big Mac

t man and bczoom, thanks for your response to my question. It sure helps to have friends on the net that can help from time to time. Again, I appreciate your help!:tiphat: