Another Boom Pole Idea

N

Nicahawk

I made this a while back to assist in pulling large limbs from the shelter belt. If I had known how handy it was going to be I would have configured the end a little different. I'm going to weld a receiver hitch on the back end of the forks so I don't have to remove them to install it.
Nic

Attachments

• Boom pole  3.jpg
    Boom pole 3.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 857
  • Boom pole 4.jpg
    Boom pole 4.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 807
  • Weather Station base 2 (940 x 626).jpg
    Weather Station base 2 (940 x 626).jpg
    221 KB · Views: 824

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
My Boom Pole is just an ol' store bought one, with a minor addition that has come in handy so many times.
See, I had this Dayton winch laying around and I needed to remove a homemade wood stove out of my basement. The stove was made with 3/8" plate about 24x24x36 so it weighed a bunch.
Well, just fasten the winch to the boom pole, add a few pullies, 4 Ford starter solenoids, misc wire and connectors/switches. I now have a remote operated forward and reversing stove snatcher outer.

Oh yeah we added a BUNCH of weight to the front of the lightweight Yanmar tractor along with a few people. We got the stove out :tiphat:

Attachments

• BoomPole.JPG
    BoomPole.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 782
  • BoomPole2.JPG
    BoomPole2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 769
  • BoomPole3.JPG
    BoomPole3.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 760

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice Nic. Looks wicked. I like yours to Jerry. That is quite the 'stove snatcher outer'. Kewl. I didn't even know you had a Yanmar. :pat:

N

Nicahawk

Stove Snacher Outer

My Boom Pole is just an ol' store bought one, with a minor addition that has come in handy so many times.
See, I had this Dayton winch laying around and I needed to remove a homemade wood stove out of my basement. The stove was made with 3/8" plate about 24x24x36 so it weighed a bunch.
Well, just fasten the winch to the boom pole, add a few pullies, 4 Ford starter solenoids, misc wire and connectors/switches. I now have a remote operated forward and reversing stove snatcher outer.

Oh yeah we added a BUNCH of weight to the front of the lightweight Yanmar tractor along with a few people. We got the stove out
I really like the idea of the wench working with your boom pole. Great idea! :tiphat: I've got a Warn that I was going to put on one of the F250's but got rid of that truck. You got me thinking!!!!!!!

N

Nicahawk

I made this a while back to assist in pulling large limbs from the shelter belt. If I had known how handy it was going to be I would have configured the end a little different. I'm going to weld a receiver hitch on the back end of the forks so I don't have to remove them to install it.
Nic
After seeing and reading some of the posts I decided to do a little redesign. Added a rec to back side of the forks and a swivel hook on the end. Makes it much more usable and will attach with or without the forks on.

Attachments

• Boon Pole 3.jpg
    Boon Pole 3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 744
  • Boon Pole 4.jpg
    Boon Pole 4.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:

jwstewar

Staff member
My cousin and I rigged up something very similar to what Nicahawk when I set the trusses for my garage.....ooopps, we are now calling it the barn since the garage will be attached to the new house.:pat: I also made a "basket" for this set up and used it to set the roof shingles up on the barn. I can't remember if I did 2 or 3 bundles at a time.

Here are a couple of pics of it.

The first shot is what we used to hold the pole in the bucket. Second shot is the business end. We used a little short chain from the metal loops to lift the trusses. Third is what I had to put on the back of the http://www.littlebluetractor.com/'s brother to keep it down. Tires weren't loaded at the time. Fourth shot is the trusses set in place. 10' side walls + about 4 or 5 to the top of the truss. At the front the ground sloped down about 18" from the rear so it was a pretty decent reach for a little tractor.

Attachments

• MVC-132F.JPG
    MVC-132F.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 738
  • MVC-133F.JPG
    MVC-133F.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 718
  • MVC-137F.jpg
    MVC-137F.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 706
  • MVC-134F.jpg
    MVC-134F.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 706
N

Nicahawk

My cousin and I rigged up something very similar to what Nicahawk when I set the trusses for my garage.....ooopps, we are now calling it the barn since the garage will be attached to the new house.:pat: I also made a "basket" for this set up and used it to set the roof shingles up on the barn. I can't remember if I did 2 or 3 bundles at a time.

Here are a couple of pics of it.

The first shot is what we used to hold the pole in the bucket. Second shot is the business end. We used a little short chain from the metal loops to lift the trusses. Third is what I had to put on the back of the http://www.littlebluetractor.com/'s brother to keep it down. Tires weren't loaded at the time. Fourth shot is the trusses set in place. 10' side walls + about 4 or 5 to the top of the truss. At the front the ground sloped down about 18" from the rear so it was a pretty decent reach for a little tractor.
Looks like a pretty stout rig jwstewar. I'm sure it saved a lot of time when you built that barn, which is a pretty good looking project also.:tiphat: I like your weights!
icon14.gif
I need to go find some different ways to use mine now that I've got it more functional.
icon5.gif

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I remember that day will Jim. At first I was concerned you were going to go ass over tea kettle. Then I saw how smooth it was lifting that first truss.

mobilus

Nica, after looking at your setup, I'm thinking about including turnbuckles into my boom instead of just chains.

That's just one of the attractions of this site.

Thanks,
Mark

N

Nicahawk

Nica, after looking at your setup, I'm thinking about including turnbuckles into my boom instead of just chains.

That's just one of the attractions of this site.

Thanks,
Mark
I like being able to snug up the chains. Everything feels more secure and more a part of the bucket it's self.

wedgeheaded

I have a neighbor who did the same thing only longer. At the end of the pole is a "T". Another pipe sits through the "T" with "L" brackets welded at the top of the "L". One on each side. Then he puts a plank across the "L"s for a work platform. I've worked off it and it's pretty slick. Kind of a homemade manlift. Made a tough job EZ.