Any Firearm Guys here ?

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter

Erik

you're getting a good deal - the Colt Heavy Barrel upper can cost pretty close to that on its own.
.223 is a great coyote round, too.
If you REALLY want to see some drooling, post this on FF in the gun section. :) There are a handful of "AR fanatics" who will make plenty of happy noises about the purchase and suggest things to alter on it for convenience.
personally, I like the 6-position stock because it allows you to change length of pull depending on how much coat you're wearing.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT deal. I would buy that site unseen also. :thumb:
I picked up one specifically for the coyote roaming my area. Still have not shot a coyote but love the gun. It's fun to shoot and shoot and shoot. :D
You are going to like it, I guarantee it. If not sell it to me. :D

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Wow , Thanks Fellers thats what I hoping to here . Thats what was Throwing Me off is the upper & lower part deal , I just never heard of that before . I,m also not familiar with some of that type of ammo . He says 5.56/.223 . So does that just mean any type 223 round Or does it take something Else as Theres another add in the ammo section that sounds like a perty good deal . Thanks again , Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any type of 223 round will work. 5.56 is simply another way to say it, and makes it easier to compare to some of the other metric rounds.

I talked to a guy the other night about his Remington 870 express, new in a box w/ slug barrel and regular barrel. He said he'd take 250 for it. I'm going to take a look at it this Saturday. With any luck I should have a decent 12 gauge pump shotgun. Been wanting one for awhile but something always came up so that I never got one.

Erik

Bob - 5.56 is the military designation for .223. the only difference between the 2 is that true mil surplus 5.56 is a higher pressure round than commercial .223, so this rifle can shoot either without any potential problems.
One thing to check when the rifle shows up will be to look for the twist rate on the barrel (should be next to the caliber markings). 1:12 is most accurate with up to 55 grain bullets, 1:9 is good up to 65 grains, 1:8 handles up to 72 grains, and 1:7 is supposed to be the cat's meow for any .223 bullet out there. Knowing this can save you some frustration when sighting the rifle in as 72 grain match bullets will have a "pattern" instead of a grouping at 100 yds in a 1:12 barrel, but 55 grain rounds will do just fine in a 1:8. (hope this makes sense)

Doc - jump on that deal! That's pretty close to the "after rebate" price on an 870 express with a standard barrel and the slugger is worth an extra $70-120. Just make sure it's a 3" chamber.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
More great info Guys Thanks . Still wonderin on the ammo price wise . Theres an ad for 223 Wolf performance Ammo ( Military classic ) factory new 500 in sealed case 130.00 per 500 case wolf brand this years. 55 gr 223 1000 rds . 250 bucks If I buy the thousand rounds , is that a decent price ? Thanks again . Bob

Erik

that's not a bad price.
current production wolf is decent ammo, but some folks think it's dirty, so clean the thing good when you're done - and not just swab the barrel.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Gotcha Eric Thanks . I,ll Have to reread the other info You posted when I get the Gun . I,m hopin He dont back out now , I talked to Him on the Phone & said I,d take it for sure , But it,ll be Sunday before He can bring it out & the ads still up , So who knows , Bob

Erik

no worries - there is plenty of info out there for care and feeding of an AR. (basic maintenance, cleaning, etc...)
If this one falls through for you, check J&G sales online - they've got a special running right now for buy a rifle and get 800 rounds thrown in for $98. I think you get your choice of 3 different .223 rifles. (2 were AR types and the other an HK-clone)
add shipping to your local FFL (or yourself if you have a C&R license) and it's still a pretty good deal.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again Eric . He brought it out last nite , its everything He said it was so I,m perty happy . He said the same thing about the wolf ammo so I,ll be looking for something better . I never had time to shoot it last night so I might play with it today . Thanks for all the help & info Fellers . Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. I'm sure you'll like it. :thumb:
Remember to post after you've had time to play around with it. :D

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc :tiphat: . I didn,t really even buy it ta shoot much , Just thought it would be nice to have around . :hide: . I,m afraid it Might end up being My Favorite Plinker as soon as I figger it all out . Talk about a Sweet shootin gun . Heres a few pics , I figgered I better postem before I wear it out , :yum: . Bob

Attachments

• PB210001.JPG
    PB210001.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 231
  • PB210002.JPG
    PB210002.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 246

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It probably will be your favorite plinker but cost of ammo will not allow your backup plinker to get much dust on it. :D
The AR's are sweet shooting. I know exactly what you mean. :D :thumb:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Yep , I ran into the same thing with My back up Plinker Doc . Its a 40 cal Highpoint carbine & I absolutlly love it , Not only it aint cheap to shoot , its gettin hard to find ammo for it :pat: .

We gota couple of 10/22,s There nice & fun to shoot & We have several 30 round clips for them , But its hard to even find any decent 22 ammo these days that wont Jam every 5 or 10 rounds .

Curious as to Ya,lls favorite Plinkin guns . Thanks Bob

Erik

when you get tired of that stainless 10/22, let me know :)
congrats on the new plinker.
if you want cheap feed for that hi-point, the wolf .40 should work fine.
check Cabela's online as well - I think they're offering free shipping at the moment.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
If you want a good compromise ammo go with Fiocchi or PMC, they will be a little bit more pricey. They are not near as dirty and they're a crisper, edgier round which is a good thing. You got a great gun there. I see it has an Ergo grip, the best IMO. I have them on all my AR's.

I'm sorry I missed this post. A Colt upper on a CMMG lower is a great combination. Have any idea what parts kit is in it? The ad has been removed so I can't see it ..... :(

You are going to be so surprise just how accurate these guns are with iron sights. They are habit forming ............ :tiphat:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Big Dog , I,ll check into that ammo . Heres the info I saved from the ad . The lower is a CMMG with a CAA 6 position
collapsible stock, Ergo grip pistol grip, and a DPMS lower parts kit.

Thanks Again fellers . Bob

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I just replyed to another Ad on CL . Aint heard back yet though . it says 2 , 30 round AK clips 500 cash . Ak Free with purchase of clips , lol . I aint got no clue what there worth either but sounds perty cheap . Bob

Erik

that might be a good one, or it might be one of the rifles currently selling for about $380 -- down from the "panic sale" pricing 6 months ago of $7-800.
OTOH, no sales tax and private sale is a good thing, and Wolf 7.62x39 is pretty low cost. (and works fine in these things)